Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected price for a home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

i can't help but to think I'm being taken for a ride with the government grant thing and having electricians bump up their price by stupid amounts knowing that you're considering the grant in the price.

How much have people paid for their chargers, all in?

For e.g. - I'm being quoted for a pretty simple install consisting of:
* Maybe 5 metres of cable run
* ohme wall charger
* usual enclosure with RCD, mains tail, henley block
* earth spike

Total price of about £600 after VAT.

Is this an 'expected amount?'

I'm waiting for an Ohme install...

I paid £686 in total, but that included some extras as my install involves quite a long cable run...

upload_2020-8-6_16-12-2.png

I’m currently gathering quotes ahead of receiving my M3 in September. Prices for tethered installation are ranging from about £700 up to £900 for the Andersen. We’re planning to move in the next 12 months so I think I’m going to stick with granny charging. Another alternative is to get a commando socket installed outside so I don’t need to run a cable under/through my garage door but I suspect the cost of parts and labour will still be several hundred pounds.

We had a tethered PodPoint installed in May for £859 - £500 OLEV = £359 all in.

Looking now the price seems to have gone up to £909 - £350 OLEV = £559.

Whilst the final price has gone up due to the basic price that PodPoint charge going up by £50 and the OLEV grant going down by £150, why do people still pay more by going with a local electrician? Assuming you have a standard install I don't see why you would not go direct with PodPoint and use one of their installers. Ours did a VERY neat job and I'm really fussy about things like that!

Perhaps it's a reputation thing I'm not sure. And I also appreciate that installers will vary from location to location.