Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expensing EV mileage UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is fine if average cost for an average petrol/diesel car is 25p a mile and for an average EV is 18p a mile
Which is not, really, unless you charge at home

Once you at SC at 66p per khw, means that you need ~ 3 kwh per 10 miles. Which is 1.8 gbp. Which is more or less same as 40 mpg petrol car

But you are paid less, however your entry cost is much higher (EVs more expensive that ICE counterpart and insurance....)

When I bought it was 45p. Everyone was claiming 45 irrespective of fuel in their private cars.

Then 3 months later HR realized that there was active policy with different rates, namely 15p for EVs and 20p for ICE and they enforced it again. Policy was active but no one cared and not much of enforcement... So they started to enforce it.

Then a massive backlash was coming from sales community so HR has reviewed it to the 18/25 from 2023...

EV drivers still shafted
They are only getting shafted if the running costs of the ev are the same as the ICE. if they are less, and if home charging they will be. Then 18p for an EV vs 25 for ICE. Might be a good deal.

It's a feature of EVs that the cost to charge can vary so much. Some get free workplace charging, and a mileage allowance so they make 8p every mile, or possibly 45p if its their own car and a generous employer, maybe 30p a mile if they need to claim through tax relief, in the middle are the home chargers who pay between 5 and 10p a mile depending on their electricity tariff. and at the other extreme there are owners who live off expensive rapid chargers and end up paying 20+p a mile

I don't think there is an answer that will satisfy everyone and not be a cash machine on free vend for some.

Reactions: btc1k
Posts miss the point that the 45p AMAP is supposed to be an "all in" cost for running the vehicle, and EV's are cheaper for maintenance as well.
And the fuel is normally much cheaper than ICE - the people doing 100% of their charging on superchargers must be a marginal case.

Posts miss the point that the 45p AMAP is supposed to be an "all in" cost for running the vehicle, and EV's are cheaper for maintenance as well.
And the fuel is normally much cheaper than ICE - the people doing 100% of their charging on superchargers must be a marginal case.
That is true. But have in mind, if you travel for business then most probably you will use SC as well

Did you include maintainence costs?
Well, if EV cost 50k (m3 LR) and "benchmark ICE bmw 320i" is 40k, then there's quite a lot if maintenance you will need in order to cover that 10k... 4 years probably won't be enough.

therefore all difference comes in form of fuel saving. But once you need to use mire expensive public charger liken SC that huge advantage sadly is not that huge

Well, if EV cost 50k (m3 LR) and "benchmark ICE bmw 320i" is 40k, then there's quite a lot if maintenance you will need in order to cover that 10k... 4 years probably won't be enough.

therefore all difference comes in form of fuel saving. But once you need to use mire expensive public charger liken SC that huge advantage sadly is not that huge
Its not about the difference in price when you buy it that counts . Its the interest you could earn on the difference + any difference in depreciation when you sell if paying cash. Tesla residuals are not great right now but I still think EV residuals will be better on average long term for the foreseeable
or
if leasing the difference in monthly payments

Its not about the difference in price when you buy it that counts . Its the interest you could earn on the difference + any difference in depreciation when you sell if paying cash. Tesla residuals are not great right now but I still think EV residuals will be better on average long term for the foreseeable
or
if leasing the difference in monthly payments
While it is true, but still there's a bit of a difference even on monthly lease payments in favor of ICE at the moment because EVs are just a bit more expensive

HMRC AMAP is one flat payment designed to include fuel, servicing, maintenance, insurance etc.

It applies whether you run a £100k car or a £1k car privately on business mileage.

So clearly any choice you make will be more expensive/less expensive. But it's a choice.

If you want to maximise it, get the cheapest option that works for your profile.

Not sure what point is made by saying "oh but Tesla vs xyz" is not cheaper to run and therefore I'm being shafted.

Seems cost of running seems to be a major factor in this discussion between ICE and EV. If you really want to save money then you can get a much cheaper ICE that would happily do 300+ miles on a tank or maybe 400 - 500 if diesel. The cheapest EV's have a range that probably isn't high enough to be used for people doing reasonable business mileage.

Obviously you can get an ICE of a similar value and yes much cheaper ones won't be as nice to be in but it's an option. You've no option but a more expensive EV that is in itself more expensive than an ICE until battery costs come down more. Don't think it matters at that point how much the electricity or fuel is, you'd be unlikely to make back the purchase price difference.

I'm with yessuz on this. If your goal is to maximise saving money an EV at least now is not the right choice. Of course if you like your cars and you are on a car forum after all, the extra cost could be argued it's worth it.

You only live once and you cannot take your money with you when your gone. Also if your kids are like mine they'll only piss it up the wall ;)