Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expensive lesson learned. I broke my rear glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frustrated beyond belief, but it's my own fault. I was trying to align my misaligned trunk (its not an issue that can be fixed by adjusting the rubber stoppers, and Tesla said "its within spec"). No local body shops want to work on Teslas which was a fun surprise to learn. So, I figured ill just DIY. I didn't realize the socket on my ratchet came off... And crunch.

I learned my lesson but I'm just so frustrated. After spending 50k on a car and owning it less than two months, its just deflating. The tech is great, but the build quality isn't up to par. It also sucks that service is an hour and a half away and no one else will touch this car. Taking it to service is a hassle just for me to hear "its within spec". That's just such nonsense.

Okay, end rant.

Attachments

• 20210515_202504.jpg
    20210515_202504.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 235
I would take it to safelite and see if they can fill the damaged area with epoxy and then just live with it. If they can fill it, it should not "run". You might even try filling it yourself. I fixed a damaged windshield on my son's car windshield using a kit I got on Amazon.
Thank you. I'm going to do that and see if safelite can fill it and make it hard to notice. Luckily its not huge, so I think it can be repaired to an extent without replacing the entire rear glass

Absolutely sucks that this happened and I feel you on the issues the cars have. I had mobile service come out and adjust my trunk when it wasn't closing properly 60% of the time. He adjusted it and it closes properly now, however there's a larger gap on the left than the right now...

I'm more of a glass-half-full guy though, so on the bright side, at least it looks like you didn't chip the paint there :)

You broke your own window on your car and you’re mad at Tesla for build quality?

Did you do any research on these cars before buying? Because if you had, you would’ve known to expect sub par quality in body panel alignment.
Did you even read OP's post? They were fixing the bad build quality themselves and an accident happened while doing so.

You broke your own window on your car and you’re mad at Tesla for build quality?

Did you do any research on these cars before buying? Because if you had, you would’ve known to expect sub par quality in body panel alignment.
No, I didn't do research until the week before I took delivery (via carrier direct due to certain circumstances). Like I said in my post, it is my fault but Tesla has bad build quality and they use the excuse of "within spec". Lesson learned the hard way. Can't wait to see how Buffalo Winter destroys the car even further honestly

No, I didn't do research until the week before I took delivery (via carrier direct due to certain circumstances). Like I said in my post, it is my fault but Tesla has bad build quality and they use the excuse of "within spec". Lesson learned the hard way. Can't wait to see how Buffalo Winter destroys the car even further honestly
Keep in mind, you will have down to 60-70% of your rated range on very cold days.

Definitely get the damage filled by a professional. Literally any professional other than Safelite because they have a conflict of interest with wanting to replace the glass so they purposely don’t do the best repairs. Get someone that just does repairs. And the part store kits are garbage, and once you use them, a pro can’t help you.

For cosmetics, you could put an edging of black vinyl wrap around the perimeter of the glass.

Definitely get the damage filled by a professional. Literally any professional other than Safelite because they have a conflict of interest with wanting to replace the glass so they purposely don’t do the best repairs. Get someone that just does repairs. And the part store kits are garbage, and once you use them, a pro can’t help you.

For cosmetics, you could put an edging of black vinyl wrap around the perimeter of the glass.
I'm just having Tesla do it at this point and I am not going to mess with anything else any further. For now, covering it with black duct tape. No one around here wants to touch the Tesla. Hoping its no more than $1200, but I learned my lesson the hard way. I'm also going to have the SC hook me up with a body shop because every one I've talked to won't touch the car.

Was going to do safelite but with the location in the edge of the glass, its not something they can do right

Frustrated beyond belief, but it's my own fault. I was trying to align my misaligned trunk (its not an issue that can be fixed by adjusting the rubber stoppers, and Tesla said "its within spec"). No local body shops want to work on Teslas which was a fun surprise to learn. So, I figured ill just DIY. I didn't realize the socket on my ratchet came off... And crunch.

I learned my lesson but I'm just so frustrated. After spending 50k on a car and owning it less than two months, its just deflating. The tech is great, but the build quality isn't up to par. It also sucks that service is an hour and a half away and no one else will touch this car. Taking it to service is a hassle just for me to hear "its within spec". That's just such nonsense.

Okay, end rant.
Ouch. I feel your pain.

Hope you get it sorted soon and at a reasonable price.

Whilst this is frustrating, learn the lesson and move on. It has happened and no amount of anger and annoyance will change it.

Hopefully life will bring you something fabulous shortly to balance things out.

Reactions: ilikemypizza

He broke his window and is annoyed because he was trying to fix something that shouldn’t have been messed up in the first place. My roof glass is misaligned too, but I didn’t bother to ask after Tesla said all of my other misaligned stuff was “in spec”. Agree that fit and finish is subpar in this price category - probably my main gripe as it’s a great car, otherwise.

I'm just having Tesla do it at this point and I am not going to mess with anything else any further. For now, covering it with black duct tape. No one around here wants to touch the Tesla. Hoping its no more than $1200, but I learned my lesson the hard way. I'm also going to have the SC hook me up with a body shop because every one I've talked to won't touch the car.

Was going to do safelite but with the location in the edge of the glass, its not something they can do right
Did you try Tesla's authorized body shop directory? I see a hit for a Carstar West Seneca near buffalo, no idea if they do glass though.

FWIW I had someone door ding me (unfortunately sentry was off :( ) and I had left plastic trim piece over the wheel well develop a crack from hitting a buried ice chunk in the snow on a subzero day. I went through a local tesla certified place in thier directory and the total for both of those was 700 bucks (and thats sanding repainting the door).

Reactions: ilikemypizza