Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expensive "test" drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

adiggs

Sep 25, 2012
Portland, OR
Roadster 969 is in for it's second annual maintenance service, and the nice folks at the Portland SC have twisted my arm and made me drive a P85+ (grey) while it's in. They previously put me into a P85.

What I've learned - the Model S in the Performance configuration is freaky fast (we all know that). Experiencing it though - that makes it more tangible. It's different from the Roadster - there are things I like better about the Roadster and things I like better about the Model S.

I've learned that the + is now effectively a requirement for me, assuming that there's something comparable on the Model X when that ships. I see how some people see the ride as harsher and louder than what they're looking for. Coming from a Roadster though, the + seems to keep all the stuff I like about driving the Roadster, while smoothing out the ride and losing much of the wind noise I get in the Roadster (I'm not dodging manhole covers!).

The bottom line - this loaner is going to prove reasonably expensive down the road when Model X is shipping :)

Heh Z - I give it back later in the week when they're done with the Roadster's annual maintenance.

The expensive component of the loan is that now there won't be any discussion when we're configuring our Model X; the suspension / handling / + package is now a requirement for me, rather than something that we'll agonize about. Using the Model S and it's options as a mental model, I don't see a "cheap" version of a Model X available anymore :)