Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expensive tires!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit this giant metal hemispherical divider that some moron in the city of Dallas thought was a slick idea.
Tore the left front and rear tires.

Got towed to service center and they still need to check if the rim is cracked.
Being quoted $525 per tire and $1100 per rim!

Tire Rack has the same tire for around $350.

Will service center install a tire rack tire? Why so expensive?

Also since tesla does not sell tire and wheel warranty.. Are there any 3rd party options?

Attachments

• 20160814_023434.jpg
    20160814_023434.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 20160814_022659.jpg
    20160814_022659.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 20160814_022713.jpg
    20160814_022713.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 234
Hit this giant metal hemispherical divider that some moron in the city of Dallas thought was a slick idea.

Also since tesla does not sell tire and wheel warranty.. Are there any 3rd party options?

@desidon,

Is that $1100 per rim (to repair)? Or per (rim replacement) for each 'New Rim'?

On a side note.....those 21s MAKE that Model S......its just not the same with stock 19s...but continuing to hear $$$ stories like this make it so hard to pull the trigger on 21s.....just need deep pockets.

Ski

Hi desidon...... I hit 2 shadowed sink holes on an otherwise flawless roadway saturday resulting in blown right front & rear. I was near the SvC and within 20 mins two identical replacement wheels were on and ready to go. I have not heard yet if the rims were saved, but they did quote $425 per tire installed plus tax. I have 21" ContiSports. If I had aftermarkets, they told me my only option would have been a tow to the location of my choice. I prefer the service level I received and all thoughts of aftermarkets have now vanished. Another tidbit.....a BMW also hit the same sinkholes shortly before me. He only blew one tire but thought he grounded out quite badly. He was still waiting for roadside assistance as I was driving away.

Update
Front left rim is "bent" . They want me to get a new rim. $1100
Tires are being priced at a big premium at 525 a piece. $50 to install. $210 for a 4 wheel alignment

Altogether $2700 for hitting a stupid lane divider orb thing in the middle of the road .

On top of that ...Tesla offers no wheel and tire warranty and I cannot seem to locate one to buy 3rd party so its a guaranteed ass-rape every time.

Anyone else feeling my frustration here?

Update
Tires are being priced at a big premium at 525 a piece. $50 to install. $210 for a 4 wheel alignment

Altogether $2700 for hitting a stupid lane divider orb thing in the middle of the road .

On top of that ...Tesla offers no wheel and tire warranty and I cannot seem to locate one to buy 3rd party so its a guaranteed ass-rape every time.

I feel your pain, D.
My first thought would be to claim this damage from your car insurance. Probably you'll end up paying higher costs for years and years, though.
Both the price point and the service level you got from Tesla aren't out of the ordinary. You got very good service, so expect to pay top dollar. Other premium brands will charge similar amounts and possibly provide less service.
The most economic solution (with hindsight) would have been to have your car flatbedded and brought to a professional wheel and tyre shop. They could replace the tyres (optionally with the coveted warranty), fix or replace the rims and perform the necessary alignment. With the additional flatbed cost and the need for a replacement car or taxi, there would still have been some savings in this scenario. Possibly the now replaced rim was repairable. In that case your hit could have cost you 50% less.
So. Frustrating, yes. But Tesla performed professionally, no blame there.

Last edited:
Search on here about 19s vs 21s. If it were me, I'd take this opportunity to put 19's on. If you can wait a few days, order t-sportline TRTs and tires from tirerack. You'll have to go somewhere else to have them mounted though. Tesla won't touch aftermarket wheels or tires. They WILL touch OEM tires ordered from tirerack if you want to go with Tesla 19's.

Yes, as long as the replacement tire matches exactly one of the OEM variants past or present, Tesla will mount and balance ($50 each or $125 for the set), and rotate for free thereafter. People have had sets delivered from Tire Rack to an SvC.

That said, as noted above, Tesla will not issue certs nor do they repair flats. Fortunately, America's/Discount Tire does.

If you stray from the specific OEM variants, past or present, then all bets are off.

Condolences to the OP about the wheel.

As an aside, there is no way I'd get 21"s, given the combination of poor road quality hereabouts (and it's better here than a lot of other places), the far lower tread life, and the propensity to damage rims more easily. That said, they do look purty. Spiffy, even. However, I got 55,000 miles out of the OEM 19" Michelins, and could have gotten every bit of 58,000 before getting to 2/32" all the way around.

Hopefully the new Goodyear Eagle Touring 19" OEMs, which are rumored to have foam for quietness and to cost no more than the OEM
Michelins, will last as long as the Michelins, or at least longer than the first OEM Goodyears.

It never ends...

Update

@desidon,

Anyone feel your frustration? Yes....I do. So do all the other Teslas running 21's who have gone through just what you went through and recommend not running 21's. I can't count the number of posts/threads who say this. I've read them and I understand and know the consequences however I STILL feel 21s look the best and MAKE the Model S. "Pay to Play"....the only solution is not run the 21's and run either stock 19s with the larger rubber for cushion and shock absorption or maybe TSTs (Sportlines) in a 20 which looks quite nice. If I couldn't run the 21s that's what I'd run...the Sportlines in turbine. Gives up alittle of the 'Look' of 21s but picks up the longevity, decreased tire wear and 'pothole proofness' of the 19s with alittle more style. The 20s I've decided are the 'Sweetspot' of looks and longevity.
Best of Luck my friend.

Ski

Reactions: bradjc
Search on here about 19s vs 21s. If it were me, I'd take this opportunity to put 19's on. If you can wait a few days, order t-sportline TRTs and tires from tirerack. You'll have to go somewhere else to have them mounted though. Tesla won't touch aftermarket wheels or tires. They WILL touch OEM tires ordered from tirerack if you want to go with Tesla 19's.

This brings a question to mind. Will Tesla touch (i.e. Balance, rotate and align) aftermarket on a Service? How do they handle it if you pull in and have aftermarkets on and not OEMs?

Ski

This brings a question to mind. Will Tesla touch (i.e. Balance, rotate and align) aftermarket on a Service? How do they handle it if you pull in and have aftermarkets on and not OEMs?

Ski

Following the outstanding service I rec'd Sat, I am sticking with the OEM 21s, but I did inquire about after market handling (with my eye on TSTs) and Roadside said after markets will get a tow but no direct wheel delivery like I experienced. So, the price to play is a bit steep but I'm sticking with the tesla team.

You are definitely not alone desidon......a streak of lousy luck seems to be running loose lately.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Yikes. OP, if that's the Matress Firm on Lovers Lane then obviously you can blame the City of University Park and not Dallas! I drive by there every day so glad I can now keep an extra eye out.

Can't help on the tires as haven't had to replace them ...yet

But, on wheels would definitely recommend having them checked out by Quality One in Carrolton. As noted here - Wheel repair in Dallas? - I just used them to fix to 21" rims that were damaged by a curb. One was bent, other just badly "bruised" and they were able to fix both for $140 per rim. Which is obviously subsantially less expenseive than buying new or even replacing with remanufactured rims from ebay.

I looked high and low for a 3rd party wheel and tire insurance plan and eventually quit after not finding any good options. Your collision coverage in Texas should ultimately cover the damage from this type of incident. That could be worth it if you decide to replace both wheels and tires with new depending on your deductable and what you expect that it could do to your rates...

Let us know how it ends up.

All tires on tirerack.com have road hazard warranty included. I've had to make a claim, and it was super easy and covers full replacement.
Service center will install tirerack.com tires as long as they are stock tires normally used by tesla. You can even have tirerack.com deliver them to the service center.

Following the outstanding service I rec'd Sat, I am sticking with the OEM 21s, but I did inquire about after market handling (with my eye on TSTs) and Roadside said after markets will get a tow but no direct wheel delivery like I experienced. So, the price to play is a bit steep but I'm sticking with the tesla team.

You are definitely not alone desidon......a streak of lousy luck seems to be running loose lately.

@NikeWings,

Good to know. So tow but no direct wheel delivery.

Ski

@desidon,

On another note quick Q.....did Tesla either 'give you' or 'allow you' to take the old two rims? Or was that $1100 per deal with "Core". Reason I ask Is you would be able to keep the other two, get them repair or reconditioned which I see all the time and do one of two things: (1) keep them as backups in case you road hazard again (My Choice) or (2) recondition them and sell them on EBay to recoup some of your cost. Just a thought.

Ski

Update

Well SC called me back again and now say that even the rear rim needs replacement. That was the straw that broke the came's back....with a bill close to $4K.
Got the car towed out of there to Quality one. They say they can straighten the rims out and don't need replacement.
On the tires, I can get the front Michelin Pilotsport PS2 245/35ZR21 from tire racks but no one but Tesla seems to have the rear 265/35ZR21.
So now I am pretty much forced to buy the rear from the service center as a carry out at $525 :)

Yikes. OP, if that's the Matress Firm on Lovers Lane then obviously you can blame the City of University Park and not Dallas! I drive by there every day so glad I can now keep an extra eye out.

Yes....that's exactly where this happened...on Lovers....
Why in the name of everything that is holy would you have those smack in the middle of the lane!!!
Has mankind not invented better ways to segment lanes better ?