Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience driving M3 in winter with factory supplied tyres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They come with all seasons tires. Use your experience with your other cars in your area. Do you use all season tires normally on all your other cars? If so, you likely would be fine. If not, then plan on buying winter tires.

All season tires are ALWAYS a compromise, and while there are some differences tire to tire, the best way to judge this for yourself is what you have always had to do with your other cars. best would always be to have winter tires if you have "real winter weather". Where I live, I dont have "real winter" . I have no idea of the climate in switzerland but suspect you have more "real winter" than I do.

I drove the 18" OEM Michelin tires, last Winter. They were acceptable. If you live in an area that doesn't see deep snow, and have well-plowed roads, and have alot of experience driving in snow, then they're manageable. Not the best grip, but certainly not the worst. Predictable behavior, so acceptable.

Since there are better all-season tires available, I will eventually switch to either the Michelin All-Climate or similar. I don't feel the need for dedicated snow tires.

The 19" OEM tires, I have read are not good in the snow.

I drove the 18" OEM Michelin tires, last Winter. They were acceptable. If you live in an area that doesn't see deep snow, and have well-plowed roads, and have alot of experience driving in snow, then they're manageable. Not the best grip, but certainly not the worst. Predictable behavior, so acceptable.

Since there are better all-season tires available, I will eventually switch to either the Michelin All-Climate or similar. I don't feel the need for dedicated snow tires.

The 19" OEM tires, I have read are not good in the snow.
Hi Ken,
Thank you - that is very helpful information. I have 18' OEM Michelin tires and only occasional snowfall. Will do some trips to the mountains but then I can take my old car where I do have dedicated winter tires.
I assume you will only change your current tires when they are due for replacement anyway - or are you thinking of switching them even sooner?

They come with all seasons tires. Use your experience with your other cars in your area. Do you use all season tires normally on all your other cars? If so, you likely would be fine. If not, then plan on buying winter tires.

All season tires are ALWAYS a compromise, and while there are some differences tire to tire, the best way to judge this for yourself is what you have always had to do with your other cars. best would always be to have winter tires if you have "real winter weather". Where I live, I dont have "real winter" . I have no idea of the climate in switzerland but suspect you have more "real winter" than I do.
Thanks JJ,
My problem is I have only driven dedicated winter and summer tires respectively, so I am unsure how the all season tire experience might be with a AWD M3, which has excellent traction control to compensate somewhat for sub-optimal tires. Ken was kind to provide his real world experience and seems to be manageable.

I got my AWD M3 last December and I thought it did pretty poorly in snow...I live in Chicago. I’m planning on installing snow tires this year. I’m just trying to figure out if I am going to buy rims + tires or just tires alone.

Hi Ken,
Thank you - that is very helpful information. I have 18' OEM Michelin tires and only occasional snowfall. Will do some trips to the mountains but then I can take my old car where I do have dedicated winter tires.
I assume you will only change your current tires when they are due for replacement anyway - or are you thinking of switching them even sooner?
I rotated my tires recently at 6000 miles, and found the inner shoulder was feathering on the fronts (did an alignment to correct), so I may change them early, this Winter. I'll check them again late November and decide. Just looking at the top-rated all-season tires, the Michelin CrossClimate+, the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and the Verdestein Quatrac 5. The Michelin and Vredestein have the 3PeakMountainSnowflake seal, so they're winter rated. Not sure about the Goodyear.

I would like to hear peoples reports on driving in winter conditions with the tyres that the AWD M3 comes supplied with (18” or 19”).
To help me decide on whether necessary to buy real winter tyres.
Thanks in advance
Wait, do you have MXM4 or Pilot Sport 4 tires? In Europe I believe the 18" tires are PS4, which is a summer only tire. In that case you MUST get snow rated tires for the winter.

If you have MXM4 like in the US, well I still bought snow tires. All-seasons are mediocre in all situations. I got Michelin X-ICE Xi3.

Wait, do you have MXM4 or Pilot Sport 4 tires? In Europe I believe the 18" tires are PS4, which is a summer only tire. In that case you MUST get snow rated tires for the winter.

If you have MXM4 like in the US, well I still bought snow tires. All-seasons are mediocre in all situations. I got Michelin X-ICE Xi3.
Darn you are good. I have the PS4. Alright summer tires are not an option during winter. Guess i now have the chance to buy some cool rims

Reactions: Snow Drift
Well mine is a year old now. First winter was stock. Snow in town, easy. I went through a few inches of fresh snow and it was great. Just take corners easier than you think.

It's when it thaws/freezes or 1/4 inch of freezing rain, yea nothing does that great. On highway I was often having small adjustments because likely of ice. Dusting of snow can do it too. It's not going to be going 65+ down the highway but reasonable speed it is ok unless it's iced up.

I'm going to get some winter tires this year. I don't expect much difference in ice but I hope a little better on highway to get 45 mph down the road.