Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

experience expectation if buying from non-Tesla dealers (Canada)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In looking to possibly buy a Tesla from a non-Tesla dealer (in Canada) I'm curious what I can expect from them regarding what they do to the car, and what if any support I can get from Tesla to help me make a good choice on the vehicle and address it's possible concerns once I'm the owner.
Conventional car dealers probably have little/no service-know-how beyond the wheels/suspension/body and might even rely on the nearest Tesla service center.
Has anyone bought thru a car dealership and could recount some of what to expect?
I'm curious if I could arrange that a Tesla service center looks at the car before or after I bought it.
I'd be concerned with Ontario, and no particular dealership. I've the notion that major brand dealers tend to take better care of customers than random non-franchised car lots.

Last edited:
One thing to caution you about: if you buy used from Tesla or the previous owner, you get to keep FSD if its on the car. Many stories of Tesla turning off FSD when purchasing used through a dealer though. Something to look into if you’re thinking of paying extra for FSD that’s on the car. It just might get turned off after you get the car home.

I’m less than 100% certain this is their policy, just wanted to give you a head’s up to research this topic if it might be an issue for you.

I recommend caution. Last time I saw a Tesla being sold at a dealership, it had had some body work done that was done very poorly, and lead to some serious problems very fast.

Absolutely recommend taking it for a full evaluation by an experienced body shop and/or a Tesla service center.

Do your own due diligence like buying any used car. Also, get familiar with how tesla treats transfers of warranty, features after it has gone through a 3rd party. I know for sure CPO warranty will be gone. The upside with buying from a 3rd party is you can actually looked at the car. With Tesla buying a used car, you do not have a chance to look at the car's condition before you buy.

In looking to possibly buy a Tesla from a non-Tesla dealer (in Canada) I'm curious what I can expect from them regarding what they do to the car, and what if any support I can get from Tesla to help me make a good choice on the vehicle and address it's possible concerns once I'm the owner.
Conventional car dealers probably have little/no service-know-how beyond the wheels/suspension/body and might even rely on the nearest Tesla service center.
The dealer you are buying from will not be able to service the car beyond basics like brake pad replacement (which you may never need). And if there are issues with the car that dealer may not even be aware of them, or may not care. They just want to take your money, they are not trying to make you a lifelong customer. I assume they are not offering a warranty on the car since they can’t really service it.

Tesla is not going to help you “make a good choice on the vehicle” since they are not selling it to you.

Tesla will provide service. You may or may not consider it expensive, everyone’s expectations differ.

I would only buy a used Tesla from Tesla.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I bought my 100D from a non-Tesla Dealer, the key thing I would recommend is find out as much about the car as possible before you sign anything. if its not tesla or Shift if you are in Ontario they likely know nothing. Push to make sure they are giving you everything that came with the car charging cables, adapters ect. If you do purchase your first stop should be a supercharger then likely the second should be a service centre if it still under warranty to get anything needed fixed.

The car I purchased had an issue with the charge port that had it charging very slow on the mobile connector and unable to use Superchargers at all. Dealer said they bought it on auction from tesla and it was their fault blah blah blah i made them fix and sort it out without having to pay for it myself but that is what you run into wen its not from tesla direct.

Transferring the car into the app was easy but its on you to complete the work and follow up with Tesla to get it done as sometimes it takes a while for me though it was only 4 hours i didn't have the car anyway as it was at the Service Centre.

otherwise its just like buying any other used car, know that you are not going to get anything out of them support wise so you have to factor that when you pick up you probably have a lot to address before you are happily cruising in your EV