Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Experience] Multiple warning messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 with dual motor. It's about 2.6 years old with the mileage of 25Kmiles.

Suddenly, from Friday morning, multiple warning messages popped up.

• Automatic emergency breaking is disabled
  • Traction control disabled
  • Stability control disabled
  • Regenerative braking disabled
  • Steering assist reduced
  • ABS (anti-lock braking system) disabled
Prior to that, none of these issues ever happened.
I did some web search and turned the power off and re-started it multiple times. It did not help.
I also re-booted the system by pressing both scroll buttons and it did not help either.

I tried to drive it, but the steering wheel was very heavy (since steering assist was reduced or disabled), the car was rolling back on the hill, because there was no regenerative braking and the driving the car was very difficult (like driving on old car from 1970's or 1980's).

I felt that it wasn't safe enough for me to drive it to the nearest Tesla and I called Roadside Assistant.
The person who took my case agreed that it wasn't safe to drive the car.
The Towing car came within 30 mins and brought my car to the nearest Tesla service center in Palo Alto, CA.
I got the message from the service center where the technician asked me what happened.
After hearing about the story, he did run the diagnostics and found that there was a faulty "LH Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor."
(Part FR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, 1044761-00-E)

He replaced it and test-drove the car and confirmed that it was working fine.
I picked up in the evening and everything was back to normal.

No cost for the repair, since it was still under the warranty and the charge for towing was also covered by the roadside assistant program.
They even provided Uber credit that I used to go to the service center to pick it up.

It was overall a great experience, while it sucked to have the problem to pop up out of blue and I could not use the car for 3-4 days before I brought it in.

I'm leaving this post to let people know that it's better bring your car in for a service, when you have the same kind of issues, instead of wasting time by rebooting/turning it off for some time like I did.

Thanks,

BK

Thanks for this write-up. I had a similar incident at noon yesterday with my model x. Also the symptoms showed up while AP was braking for a stop sign. The car braked really hard one moment and then let go next and then asked me to take over immediately with the big red steering wheel icon. So scheduled at service appointment and was assigned mobile but asking them if they have wheel sensor replacement so I don't have to reschedule again for service center appointment.

Attachments

• PXL_20210730_030511488.jpg
    PXL_20210730_030511488.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 1,761
I question the 9K diagnosis. If not mistaken, the front wheel speed sensor is the TPMS. Like a battery on one of the TPMS died. A TPMS is very inexpensive (see amazon) it would need to be the 433 mhz version. Raising a bill from 2200 to 9k without authorization could also be an issue If not the TPMS, looking at the parts catalog the harness and sensor don't look like much in terms of complication and installation. I would want a break down and to escalate the charges to Tesla.
TPMS is only for tyre pressure
Wheel speed sensors are different they provide feedback about the wheel rotation
for things like traction control, speed, etc

This happened to my 4 month old Model 3 a few days ago. Remote diagnostics say LH front speed sensor. Happened after hitting a bump on the road (hard bump but not mega hard). Hoping it’s covered under warranty. Just worried about future bumps.

I have a 2018 Model 3 with dual motor. It's about 2.6 years old with the mileage of 25Kmiles.

I did some web search and turned the power off and re-started it multiple times. It did not help.
I also re-booted the system by pressing both scroll buttons and it did not help either.

I tried to drive it, but the steering wheel was very heavy (since steering assist was reduced or disabled), the car was rolling back on the hill, because there was no regenerative braking and the driving the car was very difficult (like driving on old car from 1970's or 1980's).

I felt that it wasn't safe enough for me to drive it to the nearest Tesla and I called Roadside Assistant.
The Towing car came within 30 mins and brought my car to the nearest Tesla service center in Palo Alto, CA.
I got the message from the service center where the technician asked me what happened.
After hearing about the story, he did run the diagnostics and found that there was a faulty "LH Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor."

No cost for the repair, since it was still under the warranty and the charge for towing was also covered by the roadside assistant program.
They even provided Uber credit that I used to go to the service center to pick it up.

It was overall a great experience, while it sucked to have the problem to pop up out of blue and I could not use the car for 3-4 days before I brought it in.

I'm leaving this post to let people know that it's better bring your car in for a service, when you have the same kind of issues, instead of wasting time by rebooting/turning it off for some time like I did.

Thanks,

BK
I had same problem it resolved last month after charging and I cancelled the prior appt. It happened again this morning. I will call roadside assistant to pick up the car. I originally used service app and made a mobile service for next week. Thanks. I agree the car is definitely not safe to drive with no steering assist.

Thanks,

BK
Thanks for the post. I had the same thing happen about 4 weeks ago, I made a service appt but it resolved on it's own. I thought the extreme cold might of cause this. I happened again this am. I agree it is not safe to drive without power steering. I will call roadside assistant to have the car towed. The extreme cold weather 9 degrees F or ice might of cause issues with the speed sensor.

Me too... 22 M3P. Happened the first time after hitting a dip in the road (that I've went through 100+ times). The second time, in the same day, was going over railroad tracks. I'm curious if they will come to me to fix it since the SC is over 100 miles away. I'm a bit worried about warranty since I have MPP coilovers on it. I have an appointment for August 5th, but I'm not sure I want to drive it, and they may not cover the tow since it's got modified suspension

Side note, the coilovers have been on 3 months with no issue so I know it wasn't an install error

Me too... 22 M3P. Happened the first time after hitting a dip in the road (that I've went through 100+ times). The second time, in the same day, was going over railroad tracks. I'm curious if they will come to me to fix it since the SC is over 100 miles away. I'm a bit worried about warranty since I have MPP coilovers on it. I have an appointment for August 5th, but I'm not sure I want to drive it, and they may not cover the tow since it's got modified suspension

Side note, the coilovers have been on 3 months with no issue so I know it wasn't an install error
So what ended up happening?, I’m going thru the same thing any hard bump and I get all the error codes. Only fix I find is to pull over get out the car and lock it wait few seconds and get back in and it all resets. No need to hard reset.

I thought I had updated this... Anyway, it was the front right wheel speed sensor getting pinched on the compression of dips. I put MPP coilovers on the car and reused the push in clips that hold the sensor wire. I should have used zip ties since it came loose. Haven't had a problem since they replaced it. $154 parts and labor. Lesson learned, priceless