Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience towing a teardrop with M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NHK X

Nov 18, 2017
Texas
I’m looking into towing a 1500-1900 lbs teardrop trailer with a tongue weight between 175-220lbs with our long range M3.

Anyone have experience towing a similar load in terms of efficiency and range? Based on prior experience with our X, expecting a a 40-50% range hit.

I don’t really need a discussion about warranty ect, just want real world experience from people who have already done this.

appreciate it.

Yuuuup
Homemade, I built it from scratch. Eventually I’ll post a full detailed post with it. Only just installed the stealth hitch so I’ve only towed it like 60 miles so far.
9443B155-22A9-4208-B0A8-E5DF2FD66D17.jpeg
Your estimate of range hit is about right in the short drive I’ve taken so far.

Reactions: ev4thewin and KenC
It tows like it’s not there at all. While driving, the only thing you notice really is the higher current draw when accelerating, and the car thinks there’s something immediately behind you that it can’t identify. I also especially love the stealth hitch because there are NO RATTLES. My fiancé actually forgot we were hauling it until I mentioned something about autopilot.
Speaking of which, autopilot works fine for lane keeping but it will not change lanes.

Reactions: NHK X
It tows like it’s not there at all. While driving, the only thing you notice really is the higher current draw when accelerating, and the car thinks there’s something immediately behind you that it can’t identify. I also especially love the stealth hitch because there are NO RATTLES. My fiancé actually forgot we were hauling it until I mentioned something about autopilot.
Speaking of which, autopilot works fine for lane keeping but it will not change lanes.
Thanks so much

Interesting, that while little teardrops are relatively light, they are not as aerodyamic as they appear.

Issue seems to be with their flat sides that cause tons of drag. They are not true teardrops, which would have curving sides to allow air to flow without disruption.

Believe a huge Bowlus trailer tows more efficiently than a little pseudo teardrop.

I also imagine you could rig something up where you remove the rear air vent, attach some combination of 12V duct fan and ducting, run it out the side window, and into your teardrop to use the Model 3's AC & heating system at night.

Unless you've already installed an espar/webasto heater. Most efficient and most comfortable trailer heater in the world. Instead of on/off, it modulates the burner so it almost never stops operating. Which is good. So once you're at temperature it blows slightly warmer than requested air to maintain the temperature. No "I'm hot, then I'm cold" stuff. It burns diesel. Super clean while running, just a tiny bit of smoke at startup and shutdown, hence trying to remain operational continuously. You can get espar hydronic (water) heaters that work similarly, but instead of heating air, they heat the car's coolant. So when you come out to the car in the morning, and it's 20 below zero, your car starts right up and blows warm air immediately.
It would be hilarious if Tesla put a webasto heater in a Tesla. "It's electric, except the heat is diesel! Better range in the cold! Just don't forget to fill the diesel tank or you might freeze to death"

Last edited:
I find that I don’t need a heater, body heat is enough. I should try and do some flow simulations in SolidWorks; I did do all the CAD before building it. For example, want to know if should add a panel to the bottom so there’s less undercarriage drag. Probably worth doing an update.
You have to really like the person you’re traveling with, as my uncle said when he saw it for the first time, “that’ll fit two people, one wide two high”. ;)
The other benefit it has is the galley kitchen in back.

Reactions: smatthew