TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Experience with a Good Model 3 Car Cover

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SkagitDoug, Sep 6, 2018.

1. SkagitDoug

SkagitDoug Member

I know there's likely not much experience here, since the car is so new, but does anyone have experience with a brand and style of cover that will protect the car from wind and rain during outside storage in the winter months? Thanks!

2. 1Step2NoGas

1Step2NoGas Member

Tesla offers a car cover, as does Evannex. I have no experience with any myself. In case you haven't seen them...

Canadian Store:
    Model 3 Car Cover

US Store:
    Model 3 Car Cover

Evannex (US Store):
    Car Cover for Tesla Model 3

There might be others as well. Good luck in your search.

3. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

How much experience do you have with covers?

I knew a guy who parked his Corvette at the office and covered it daily. After doing this for a couple of years the finish on his car was pretty beat up... if you get even a few tiny bits of debris anywhere on the inside of the cover it is going to scratch your car pretty good when you put it on or take it off.

4. SkagitDoug

SkagitDoug Member

When I've covered cars in the past, it's always been during inside storage.

Even then, though, I'd remove the cover every month or so and wash the car. Before again covering the car, I'd let it dry for a day or more.

As you suggest, dust and debris beneath a cover on a car would have the same effect would as sandpaper.

I know my experience is not with outside storage, whhich is why I apppreciate your thoughts -- and those of everyone -- thanks!

5. SkagitDoug

SkagitDoug Member

Thanks! Do you know if the cover offered by Evannex has straps or cords to string from one side of the bottom to the other, to minimize the amopunt of debris blown up the side and acting as abrasive on the finish?

6. 1Step2NoGas

1Step2NoGas Member

Evannex has 2 videos on YouTube for their Model 3 car cover that may answer your questions:

7. SkagitDoug

SkagitDoug Member

Thanks to all who offered thoughts, and I think I'll just park the car inside during the winter months.