Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Heat Pump in Really Cold Weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have wondered about that also. A typical residential heat pump's efficiency makes it impractical to use much below 20-30F. I haven't seen any mention of backup heat coils but there must be something like that since the system has to work well below 0 degrees.

Has anyone used MY heat pump in really cold weather?
Anyone know what ambient temperature is too low for HP to work effectively?
If there is a backup resistance heater, I'm not sure whether a user could even tell if HP is working.
From the patent, the compressor motor and electronics can be run inefficiently to act as a resistive heater (along with the addition of mechanical work). So it can work at any temp, just with lower efficiency.
The blower fan can theoretically do the same, and there are two low voltage heaters in the cabin (for split temp).

I have wondered about that also. A typical residential heat pump's efficiency makes it impractical to use much below 20-30F. I haven't seen any mention of backup heat coils but there must be something like that since the system has to work well below 0 degrees.
I run my Fujitsu home system as low as -25f though it begins having trouble keeping up with the losses in my 1970s house below about -15f, and this saves us money overall vs the old baseboard electric. I am sure it loses a lot of efficiency at those temps but it does work. Was told it functions to -28f.

I run my Fujitsu home system as low as -25f though it begins having trouble keeping up with the losses in my 1970s house below about -15f, and this saves us money overall vs the old baseboard electric. I am sure it loses a lot of efficiency at those temps but it does work. Was told it functions to -28f.
That makes sense, that refrigerant boils at -15 F.

Really? Who told you that? Whomever told you that couldn't be more wrong.
It’s on the YouTube video above and Google search returns similar results. I am not an engineer however. Simply regurgitating info.
705F6D28-60AB-457C-BB49-88DD7D59136E.png
573EB93B-5668-42F9-AC8C-2C6B12B4C3B3.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and GWord
It’s on the YouTube video above and Google search returns similar results. I am not an engineer however. Simply regurgitating info. View attachment 595324View attachment 595325
The piece of information missing is that boiling point is dependant on pressure. That table is 14.7 psi data (1 atmosphere) versus what the high and low pressure sides run at.

From the patent, the compressor motor and electronics can be run inefficiently to act as a resistive heater (along with the addition of mechanical work). So it can work at any temp, just with lower efficiency.
The blower fan can theoretically do the same, and there are two low voltage heaters in the cabin (for split temp).
I get how the energy provided by the compressor can be used to provide heat, but how can the blower fan make heat?

The same way as the drive unit motors and compressor motor, they use an inefficient drive waveform that results in extra current flow in the stator windings generating heat through resistive losses.
Couldn't said it better than myself. All joking aside, I often thought this is very similar to how resistive heating is done. Instead of just heating up a coil, they're heating up a winding. I take it that it's more efficient since they are using same power to turn motor as well.

Couldn't said it better than myself. All joking aside, I often thought this is very similar to how resistive heating is done. Instead of just heating up a coil, they're heating up a winding. I take it that it's more efficient since they are using same power to turn motor as well.

Capturing the motor heat is advantageous during heating modes, but the extra heat is still a COP of 1 like resistive.

That might work for an in-line fan, but not a squirrel cage blower where the motor is outside the air path.
The air path can still be routed around the motor on a squirrel cage type.

Note: the fan as aux heat was mentioned in the patent, but I have not seen confirmation of it being used.

Reactions: Darmie
"The air path can still be routed around the motor on a squirrel cage type."

With about 60% reduction in air flow, perhaps. If their patent claims heat from blower motors, then they must be axial.

If the motor is in the plenum/ air space it will provide heat (either pre or post blower), no need to go directly through the side of the cage. Or am I missing something here?