Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Juicebox?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experiences -- good or bad -- installing or charging with a Juicebox?

Some specific questions:

1) Evidently the Juicebox app lets you set the charging percentage. That must only work with dumber cars (Leaf?); surely it won't override the Tesla's max percentage set by the driver?

2) The Juicebox "Green" software upgrade ($50) lets you charge when the carbon emissions on the grid are lowest. This seems awesome, but I can't find screenshots/examples of how this works:

JuiceNet Green Upgrade | Enel X

I put one together some years ago for my 1st volt. It was alright but I did have an issue that required a replacement. The replacement some issues but worked alright. The orange cable I brought with it wasn’t too flexible and didn’t stand up to sunlight well. I think I’ll be looking for a better alternative this time around.

One of my EV connectors is a JuiceBox, my other is a Gen 3 HPWC. The JuiceBox has a heavier gauge cord (the Gen 3 gets quite warm), a great app interface, and has been reliable the three years I've had it. For a Tesla, the down side is needing the adapter and the 40 amp max.

One of my EV connectors is a JuiceBox, my other is a Gen 3 HPWC. The JuiceBox has a heavier gauge cord (the Gen 3 gets quite warm), a great app interface, and has been reliable the three years I've had it. For a Tesla, the down side is needing the adapter and the 40 amp max.
I've also had great experience with my JuiceBox 40. I have an extra J1772 "permanently" attached so it's just like having a Tesla cable. Also, I don't find that the difference between 48 amps and 40 amps creates any issues for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: neutrino
Anyone have experiences -- good or bad -- installing or charging with a Juicebox?

Some specific questions:

1) Evidently the Juicebox app lets you set the charging percentage. That must only work with dumber cars (Leaf?); surely it won't override the Tesla's max percentage set by the driver?

2) The Juicebox "Green" software upgrade ($50) lets you charge when the carbon emissions on the grid are lowest. This seems awesome, but I can't find screenshots/examples of how this works:

JuiceNet Green Upgrade | Enel X

I’ve had a Juicebox for a few years that I use to charge our Fiat 500e.

The Juicebox’s feature set isn’t very intelligent. In other words, it doesn’t communicate with the car to determine state of charge or anything else like that.

With that in mind, the max charge function isn’t very useful. You can set it to a certain limit, but you also have to tell it what the starting point is, otherwise it will assume you’re starting from 0%.

From what I can tell, the green charging utility only works in some areas of California. I don’t think you’ll see any benefit from that in Washington.

My personal recommendation would be to install a Tesla Wall Connector unless you need something with J-1772 to charge a non-Tesla EV. If you need/prefer J-1772, the Juicebox is a nice option.

Here is a screenshot of the Juicebox’s charging screen. We plugged it in with 80-something percent but didn’t tell the Juicebox what the car’s SOC was. As such, it assumed 0 and now thinks the car is up to 7%, when it’s actually closer to 90%.

65610C8C-E166-4B19-AD0D-42B99E2EF224.png

• Helpful
Reactions: neutrino
I’ve had a Juicebox for a few years that I use to charge our Fiat 500e.

The Juicebox’s feature set isn’t very intelligent. In other words, it doesn’t communicate with the car to determine state of charge or anything else like that.

With that in mind, the max charge function isn’t very useful. You can set it to a certain limit, but you also have to tell it what the starting point is, otherwise it will assume you’re starting from 0%.

From what I can tell, the green charging utility only works in some areas of California. I don’t think you’ll see any benefit from that in Washington.

My personal recommendation would be to install a Tesla Wall Connector unless you need something with J-1772 to charge a non-Tesla EV. If you need/prefer J-1772, the Juicebox is a nice option.

Here is a screenshot of the Juicebox’s charging screen. We plugged it in with 80-something percent but didn’t tell the Juicebox what the car’s SOC was. As such, it assumed 0 and now thinks the car is up to 7%, when it’s actually closer to 90%.

View attachment 628328

uhh, it clearly says "added charge" not "state of charge"

I have a juicebox as well, it works great, I leave the Tesla adapter on it permanently as well. I don’t have another electric car at the moment but hoping for a lightening in ‘22 and it should work for both. Let the Tesla manage the charge. You can tell the juicebox it’s a Tesla if you want but all it does is estimate % added based on your cars pack size. Juicebox does have scheduled charging which works fine. I don’t use it though, flat rate residential rates where I live.

Thanks for this thread. I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 for my BMW i3. I would replace the JuiceBox with a Tesla Wall Charger if the Tesla Wall Charger had a
NEMA 14-50 plug option. JuiceBox has never failed so I'll get a Tesla adapter and save $$$.

J1772 > Tesla adapter comes free w every Tesla

although there is a TWC now with a J1772 option but i believe it is a gen2 model

I installed one a year ago since I wanted something I could use on Teslas and on my Prius Prime. I have had no issues with it. Our charger is located on the side of a carriage house where my internet does not reach, so I haven't been able to use the app.

although there is a TWC now with a J1772 option but i believe it is a gen2 mode

although there is a TWC now with a J1772 option but i believe it is a gen2 model
I'll just buy the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter from Tesla's website. One adapter will be in the car and the other will be connected to the JuiceBox.

I was planning to purchase the Tesla WC but decided to go with the JuiceBox. My electric company offered an instant $500 off the JB. They threw in another $50 sign on bonus for signing up for the rewards. If I charge from 11PM to 6AM I get $.05 back.

No issues with the JB so far. I got the NEMA 14-50 version. I have it connected to 40A and can charge at a max of 32A. But I only charge at 24A which is more than enough for me.

Used by JuiceBox 40 with the NEMA 14-50 plug to charge the BMW i3 (Testing purpose). I then added the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter and charged my new MY last night. No problems at all and no surprise that the JuiceBox charged my MY significantly faster. Not sure if this was value added but just in case.

My JuiceBox 40 died after about 2 years of use. Replaced under warranty. Less than intuitive software. One nice feature is that they provide about ~$25 annual rebate via their JuicePoints program.

I'm planning to use the universal mobile charger w/ NEMA 15-40 adaptor due to the charger-door button open/close capability on the charging handle.