TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Experience with lightweight 19" wheels and LRR tires?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by deonb, Aug 19, 2013.

1. deonb

deonb Active Member

Has anybody made the switch from 21" wheels to an aftermarket (or the new Tesla Aero) light-weight wheel and LRR tire?

What is the extra range that you got out of the combination?

Did you personally find it worthwhile (i.e. does it really cut down on charge times or increase range in practice), or is the difference so small that it wasn't worth the expense?

2. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Tesla says 3% each for the michelin LRR tires and aero wheels. Lightweight wheels don't make much of a difference to energy consumption IMHO.

Using their #'s that's ~281 mi/charge. Those extra 15miles could come in handy at some point... If you were connected to a 80A charger, that could save you ~15 minutes of charging on a roadtrip... Not a large difference but possibly useful.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

But is that 3% difference compared to a 21" wheel? Or compared to a standard 19" wheel?

There has always been about a 6% difference listed on the web site calculator regarding 21" vs. 19", even before Aero was released.

So with Aero + LRR, does that mean it's 12% better? Or is Aero essentially the same as any other 19" wheel?

4. Gear

Gear Member

It's compared to the regular 19" wheel. That's what the 265 mile range is based off. It wouldn't make sense for them to compare it to the 21" wheel and say it's a 3% difference because, as you say, that'd mean it's the same as the factory 19" wheel and tire combo. The 19" wheels are the default configuration.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1. The further you get away from the centre of rotation, the more weight is important. A lightweight 21" wheel would do more than a lightweight 19" wheel. LRR tires will do more than either. The extra material in the aero wheel is close to the hub, so it has little effect.

2. On rough roads the lightweight wheel will add range because there is less energy used in moving the unsprung mass up and down.

3. How much the aero wheels contribute depends a lot on the speed you are going. The faster you go the important they are. Around town the difference probably approaches zero. However, they look as if they would be easier to keep clean.

4. The effect of the combination of LRR and areo is anyone's guess until it's actually tried and some numbers are generated*. Note that speeding up a hill can remove all the additional range. We're talking potential increased range here. It real, but you can [easily] drive in a manner that negates it.

* A tire's rolling resistance decreases as the tread depth gets lower, so numbers generated from new tires will be higher than the average of that tire over it's lifetime.

6. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

I have light 19" wheels (19lbs. Ea). I use less energy than the 21"s, but not by much.

For the past 6000 miles, I've got 321 wh/mile. With the 21" I was getting 335 wh/mile, so there was definitely some improvement.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

What wheels do you have? (Searched your earlier posts, but could not find the make/model of wheels.)