Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Ultra High Fidelity Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Great to see so much knowledge on this thread. I started a similar-ish thread on the MS side of the house (Ultra High Fidelity Sound Question) but was hoping some of the experts here could help me sort this out.

I just picked up an inventory MS with UHFS and the sound comes out heavily (and i mean heavily) "centered" in front of the driver side. To get to a set-up that sounds correct (ie centered and even), I pretty much have to "center" it on the right rear passenger seat. Turning off dolby helps, but that just doesn't sound right.

Am I overlooking anything obvious? I would hate having to swing by a SvC just for that...\

TIA

Hi all,

Great to see so much knowledge on this thread. I started a similar-ish thread on the MS side of the house (Ultra High Fidelity Sound Question) but was hoping some of the experts here could help me sort this out.

I just picked up an inventory MS with UHFS and the sound comes out heavily (and i mean heavily) "centered" in front of the driver side. To get to a set-up that sounds correct (ie centered and even), I pretty much have to "center" it on the right rear passenger seat. Turning off dolby helps, but that just doesn't sound right.

Am I overlooking anything obvious? I would hate having to swing by a SvC just for that...\

TIA
As counter intuitive it may sound, try keeping the L/R balance at center and try moving the front /back a few clicks to the back. If that doesn't work then it is possible that the speakers on the passenger side is shot.

As counter intuitive it may sound, try keeping the L/R balance at center and try moving the front /back a few clicks to the back. If that doesn't work then it is possible that the speakers on the passenger side is shot.

Thanks for the idea...I just tried that and it seems to be doing the right thing, ie the sound is moving up and down the cabin so to speak.

One thing I just noticed also is that if I start with FM radio and adjust it way far back to the right to get it "balanced" but then switch to internet radio as the source, then if feels like it IS really way to far back to the right and if I bring it back to center, it sounds fine.

So this would point towards an input/source issue rather than a speaker issue? Ugh?

Thanks for the idea...I just tried that and it seems to be doing the right thing, ie the sound is moving up and down the cabin so to speak.

One thing I just noticed also is that if I start with FM radio and adjust it way far back to the right to get it "balanced" but then switch to internet radio as the source, then if feels like it IS really way to far back to the right and if I bring it back to center, it sounds fine.

So this would point towards an input/source issue rather than a speaker issue? Ugh?

Yes. My experience has been that the system is source dependent. It shines really well with lossless music at minimum of CD quality in terms of layering, depth and separation. Those very same things that enable that level of quality can be unforgiving on a not so good source. For example if the recording has the left channel over optimized it may seem that the sound stage is towards the driver. It took me a little bit of getting used to but once I reimagined my listening experience in my car to the same as listening to a great pair of floor standers at a 8 ft distance then it all made sense. I was so used to more of the all enveloping sound in a car that the forward sound stage seemed a little weird at first. YMMV.

Yes. My experience has been that the system is source dependent. It shines really well with lossless music at minimum of CD quality in terms of layering, depth and separation. Those very same things that enable that level of quality can be unforgiving on a not so good source. For example if the recording has the left channel over optimized it may seem that the sound stage is towards the driver. It took me a little bit of getting used to but once I reimagined my listening experience in my car to the same as listening to a great pair of floor standers at a 8 ft distance then it all made sense. I was so used to more of the all enveloping sound in a car that the forward sound stage seemed a little weird at first. YMMV.
I really wish the volume was source dependent. When I drive alone, I listen to podcasts streamed via Bluetooth from my phone and I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to hear it. When there is anyone else in my car, we have to listen to music since no one else likes listening to my techy podcasts. When I switch over to Slacker, the music is so loud that I've scared the crap out of myself and wife.

I've reported this to Tesla...hoping for a fix.

Reactions: Ulmo
> I really wish the volume was source dependent. When I drive alone, I listen to podcasts streamed via Bluetooth from my phone and I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to hear it.

Good idea for source dependency. In the meantime, try turning up the volume on your phone.

--- once I reimagined my listening experience in my car to the same as listening to a great pair of floor standers at a 8 ft distance then it all made sense. I was so used to more of the all enveloping sound in a car that the forward sound stage seemed a little weird at first. YMMV.

I think you nailed it. After a fair bit of tweaking, I have come to a set up that sort of works for my ears and I think I'll grow into it as long as I re-imagined my listening experience the way you did.

I listened to some classical music on the way from work (something I had not done in years...) and it sounded really really good.

Reactions: Infinite
After driving around and listening to some music on the X, I am quite sure it is a disappointment.

I compared the X with my M3 which has the premium sound package (not sure who makes it), and with my 2007 Mercedes R350 with Harman Kardon premium sound. Even though I like the BMW sound a little better than the X, the Mercedes is just in a different league. A 2007 car!

Just to make sure, I am talking about sound quality, not user interface. On that, the X does not show the album cover of many CDs I have ripped over the years from my collection. They show up just fine on the more recent BMW iDrive system.

I am honestly looking for a sure fire way to tell whether I actually have a car with the premium sound, because it sounds quite average. Even the equalizer only has three channels, which I thin they call low, mid and high range (or something similar).

Does anyone know how I can tell for sure I have the "premium" sound system?
I'm having the same problem. My old 2005 Mercedes E class with premium sound was actually stunningly great. This Tesla with the extra $2,500 Ultra High Fidelity Sound option sounds worse than a bad school announcement system. And there's definitely not 12 speakers playing.