Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Ultra High Fidelity Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have found a few tiny rattles in our Model X but none accentuated by the sound system. Mostly trim pieces that seem to rattle more from rougher roads. I will wait for 6 months for the car to settle out a bit before I start chasing these down.

I did not go for the Ultra High Fidelity option, but I've been very pleased with the sound of the standard installation. I'm not usually a singer, but the nice acoustics in the vehicle have me doing so, which I guess is one step beyond the Linn test of whether it makes you tap your foot.

After driving around and listening to some music on the X, I am quite sure it is a disappointment.

I compared the X with my M3 which has the premium sound package (not sure who makes it), and with my 2007 Mercedes R350 with Harman Kardon premium sound. Even though I like the BMW sound a little better than the X, the Mercedes is just in a different league. A 2007 car!

Just to make sure, I am talking about sound quality, not user interface. On that, the X does not show the album cover of many CDs I have ripped over the years from my collection. They show up just fine on the more recent BMW iDrive system.

I am honestly looking for a sure fire way to tell whether I actually have a car with the premium sound, because it sounds quite average. Even the equalizer only has three channels, which I thin they call low, mid and high range (or something similar).

Does anyone know how I can tell for sure I have the "premium" sound system?

I'm not much of a music person any more, but I still have my Crown D150A amp and IC150 pre-amp and Epicure 3.0 speakers, just rarely play albums any more. I always loved the sound because you could close your eyes and pick out the instruments. While I can't close my eyes in the X, even on AP, I can definitely hear individual instruments when I play high quality media. The sound even at moderately high volume is very clear and distinct. The FM radio for the most part is useless and I don't bother with XM, but Slacker and TuneIn are good and the few albums I have on a USB button are extremely good.

After driving around and listening to some music on the X, I am quite sure it is a disappointment.

I compared the X with my M3 which has the premium sound package (not sure who makes it), and with my 2007 Mercedes R350 with Harman Kardon premium sound. Even though I like the BMW sound a little better than the X, the Mercedes is just in a different league. A 2007 car!

Just to make sure, I am talking about sound quality, not user interface. On that, the X does not show the album cover of many CDs I have ripped over the years from my collection. They show up just fine on the more recent BMW iDrive system.

I am honestly looking for a sure fire way to tell whether I actually have a car with the premium sound, because it sounds quite average. Even the equalizer only has three channels, which I thin they call low, mid and high range (or something similar).

Does anyone know how I can tell for sure I have the "premium" sound system?
What does your MVPA say? Should be listed as an option $2,500.

It does. I paid for it. It just does not sound like what I would expect from a $2,500 option. Can one tell by looking at it? Number of speakers? My R350 says "Harman Kardon" on the speaker grills, esay to spot. My BMW just sounds really nice for a small car, especially the subwoofer. I have also listened to the standard sound system on a similar car and the difference is quite obvious.

If I were to buy a more conventional car, I could get a lot of sound in the aftermarket for $2,500...

It does. I paid for it. It just does not sound like what I would expect from a $2,500 option. Can one tell by looking at it? Number of speakers? My R350 says "Harman Kardon" on the speaker grills, esay to spot. My BMW just sounds really nice for a small car, especially the subwoofer. I have also listened to the standard sound system on a similar car and the difference is quite obvious.

If I were to buy a more conventional car, I could get a lot of sound in the aftermarket for $2,500...

Do you have XM radio as an option? If so you have the premium sound.

I did some listening and AB compare on standard vs UHFS on the S. Initially I was completely underwhelmed by the "premium" sound. My 12 year old BMW sounded so much better. The tesla systems sound was tinny with a collapsed sound stage that seemed to be positioned somewhere in the gap between the dash and windshield. Frankly it sounded like there was a small stereo cd / tape player sitting on the dash. Then I started messing around with the settings. Dolby definitely had to be turned off - couldn't stand it. The system took a different life once I moved the fade to be a couple of points to the back instead of center default position. It was more enjoyable and the soundstage became huge. It was nice but not mind blowing like a Burmister on a Porsche. Is it better than the standard? My AB testing with same setting and same source (slacker) on two S parked next to each other with the two different opinions showed that there is significant improvement in mid range, lows and soundstage with the premium system over standard and I for one, personally preferred those improvements. If you are an audio enthusiast then surely it will be a worthwhile upgrade. If you listen to talk radio or do karaoke as you drive then save the $2500. With proper settings adjustments the standard system is plenty good.

I would try several different sources, Internet radio and satellite radio are not hifi, try using a USB with some FLAC files or High Bandwidth MP3 files. I haven't put my MX through a speaker break-in period yet but I am very please so far. I am comparing to BMW HK and Audi BOSE systems. Try listening while your cargo shelf is in the open position and see if you hear a difference. Maybe someone can run a Freq. response test for an objective comparison of whether the cargo shelf should be high, low, or open. From past experiences, the sound in a new car is never as good initially, it gets better as the speakers get broken in.
Also, turn off the Dolby Surround option if it is on.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roentgen
I am not an audio enthusiast but love my music.I play them via 192Kbps MP3s and Spotify. Has anyone tried these on the Tesla UHFS? We played Adele on MX test vehicle and were really pleased with how it sounded but I would really love to compare it with standard installation, because it is Bluetooth.

I see a lot of people mentioning playing audio from a USB stick.

Can I ask why? This seems antiquated for me, is support for playing music from a docked phone terrible or something like that?

EDIT: I do realize the benefit of FLACC but I've seen people mentioning using USB drives for non audio-enthusiast type of music.

Last edited:
So, I finally got a chance to do some critical listening to the UHFS upgrade in our MX, so I thought I would share some thoughts.

Background: I am an audio-enthusiast (never liked the term audiophile). My main audio rig is an Spectral/Avalon Acoustics set-up, which is sadly crated in the garage these days (lack of time and space).

Material: For the initial listening I used three albums: Waltz for Debbie (Bill Evans Trio), Eric Clapton Unplugged, and Come Away With Me (Norah Jones). Music files were 192/24 FLAC fed of a USB stick, which essentially means they were very high resolution and delivered to the UHFS uncompressed (more on that later). I then went back and listen to a couple more albums to see how the system did with different genres: Jekyll + Hyde (Zac Brown), Night Moves (Bob Segar), and We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things (Jason Mraz) also off USB, but these were at standard/Mastered for iTunes files (NOTE: I am not going to wade into the battle on if there is an audible difference between the two formats).

Environment: MX P90D, six seat edition, doors closed, windows up, all seats up, climate control off, and vehicle stationary. Dolby Surround is off.

Unfortunately, I have not heard the standard MX system, so cannot offer a comparison, but I can compare it to the Studio Sound system in our MS.

To cut to the chase, I am pleased with the upgrade for the following reasons:
  • Tonal balance--highs were crisp without being overly bright, the mid-range was full and smooth (did a nice job with Norah Jones' voice) and the bass was powerful but tight. Personally, I am not a big fan of rattling the neighbors windows if it ends up making the sound muddy--hard to do without big cones and big amps.
  • Sound stage--can pick out individual locations of singers and instruments--everything is not concentrated in one amorphous blob, the soundstage was open and airy
  • Resolution/Texture--this is a hard one to describe. Think of the difference between a low resolution pic of a dog and a high resolution pic of the same dog. In both pics you can tell its a dog, but many more details and nuances emerge in the high-res pic. The same is true of a good audio system that will reveal the nuances of a voice or an instrument. I was pleasantly surprised by this as its quite hard to do.
Doing back-to-back listening vs the Studio Sound system in my P85, I found the following differences:
  • The tonal quality is different--can really call it better or worse, just different
  • Soundstage was less distinct and more compressed
  • Definite loss of resolution/texture
The Studio Sound is still quite good, but the UHFS is noticeably better.

So, now the caveats:
  • Listening tests are always dependent on the material--I used music that I listen to. If you listen to hip-hop or chamber music, you might end up with different results (although I would venture the system will do well with classical music in general).
  • All my material was uncompressed. If you primarily listen to compressed sources like XM or stream music over Bluetooth, its going to impact music quality. Slacker seems to be highly variable for me--sometimes is sounds great, sometimes it sounds like AM radio (I have the LTE upgrade and have the Slacker app set for high quality).

nice - thank you. where did you find balance on the audio front/rear? i was just playing with it, using FLAC files via usb. i didn't want to play too much with it, and i'm no audiophile, but i had to dial it back to -9 to -14 (i think) to star hearing it more balanced front/back. anything less than that and all i heard were the front speakers. I have UHFS and dolby off. thanks

I see a lot of people mentioning playing audio from a USB stick.

Can I ask why? This seems antiquated for me, is support for playing music from a docked phone terrible or something like that?

EDIT: I do realize the benefit of FLACC but I've seen people mentioning using USB drives for non audio-enthusiast type of music.

Phones will talk Bluetooth. Invariably, this means lossy compression -- both in the BT protocol *and* in the original recording unless you are careful. While that may or may not make any difference at all for many listeners, and may in fact be completely irrelevant to deciding most fundamentally whether you like your premium audio package or not (a direct A/B comparison of two Model X's - one with premium, one not -- using any crappy ol' recording with lows and highs would most likely work) ... why lose sleep over the possibility that the original audio was garbage?
The proper way to do this is a full individual speaker test/dissection and metrics....

I myself never got to do a comparison. I chose UHFS.

Reactions: madodel
Phones will talk Bluetooth. Invariably, this means lossy compression -- both in the BT protocol *and* in the original recording unless you are careful. While that may or may not make any difference at all for many listeners, and may in fact be completely irrelevant to deciding most fundamentally whether you like your premium audio package or not (a direct A/B comparison of two Model X's - one with premium, one not -- using any crappy ol' recording with lows and highs would most likely work) ... why lose sleep over the possibility that the original audio was garbage?
The proper way to do this is a full individual speaker test/dissection and metrics....

I myself never got to do a comparison. I chose UHFS.

Hm, so there is no support for USB audio from an iPhone or Android phone? It's really just a charging port, then?

That's kind of a bummer if so- even my Honda CRV can do that- album art, playlists etc. I really don't like using BT for audio, for quality reasons and it has generally felt flaky in the last two cars I've owned (both Hondas).

Well thanks for your insight, something to consider. I am probably not up for managing a fixed clump of music on a USB stick, so if it comes down to streaming and BT as my options for audio sources it hardly seems worth spending $2500 on UHF, especially given the feedback in this thread.