Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Wheel Bands on a ceramic coated wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience with a wheel band (or rim protector) installed on a wheel that has been ceramic coated? the disclaimer states that the manufacturer does not recommend installing wheel band of a ceramic coated wheel because the 3M adhesive tape *may* not adhere correctly. I am just wondering if this is manufacturer being extra cautions, but in reality it will stick. Anyone have any experience? thank you. I got my wheels ceramic coated a while ago and want to install wheel bands/rim protectors but I do not want to have to strip the ceramic coating off the edge so it will stick... so I was wondering if anyone else has tried this? thank you!

Yes I have direct experience with this on numerous cars.
The answer is the ever popular, "it depends".

If the ceramic coating is a good one and was professionally applied, then your adhesive will probably fail sooner than later.
If it's cheapy ceramic coating, i.e. off-the-shelf consumer grade, or applied without proper prep, i.e. usually by a dealership, then your adhesive has a better chance of working properly. I know, not exactly the specific answers you're looking for but that's the case.

If it were me... I would remove any coating prior to applying the adhesive just because who wants to do things twice?