Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experienced emergency vehicle detection today with FSD 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was using FSD to drive me home tonight. It drove to a 2-lane street (speed limit 45mph) where there's a EMS traveling at left lane with very low speed (~25mph), flashing lights but no siren. We're at right lane and It tried to pass the vehicle (I let that happen because the EMS doesn't seem to be on duty), and as soon as it passed, FSD showed me a warning to "Take over immediately". I also heard the siren go on after passing, not sure if it's because of me or because we're about to cross an intersection. Anyway I took over, braked and let the EMS pass.

It's good to see FSD (maybe?) detected the EMS and let me take over. However I'm thinking about, shouldn't it keep a safe following distance instead of passing EMS if it detected? Was it because the EMS was traveling too slow? Or because it also use siren sound to detect? Anyone have similar experiences?

Last edited:
Probably just a coincidence. Nothing has been announced about identifying emergency vehicles nor was it in the Beta release notes. Also there was at least one YouTube video passing a parked Fire Truck with lights on and it just identified it as a parked truck drove around it. The tester even went around the block to pass it again with no response.

Last edited:
It has been included in 10.4 FSD but pretty buggy for me in this aspect. Two days ago in the evening, it kept getting spooked by the purplish-white lights on a big truck in front one lane to the right to the point that after 3 "reducing speed, emergency vehicle detected" or similar message I just disabled FSD until I could pass the 18-wheeler.

I don’t know if it’s in the FSD Beta builds, but detection of emergency vehicles was introduced in 2021.24.12: 2021.24.12 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates
This was introduced in the AP highway Stack. Nothing to do with the FSD Beta Stack. Anytime you are on the highway and the display changes you are NO LONGER using FSD Beta but using the standard Vision AP highway Stack. The OP was clearly on the FSD Beta Stack.

This was introduced in the AP highway Stack. Nothing to do with the FSD Beta Stack. Anytime you are on the highway and the display changes you are NO LONGER using FSD Beta but using the standard Vision AP highway Stack. The OP was clearly on the FSD Beta Stack.
While I'm on highway although it's changing display, it's still different than the old AP highway stack, as I can see more cars and breaking lights, which I think is only available in FSD beta? This could be pure visualization changes, though.

It has been included in 10.4 FSD but pretty buggy for me in this aspect. Two days ago in the evening, it kept getting spooked by the purplish-white lights on a big truck in front one lane to the right to the point that after 3 "reducing speed, emergency vehicle detected" or similar message I just disabled FSD until I could pass the 18-wheeler.
Sadly I can't recall the message I saw. But "Take over immediately" is very obvious.