Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences going from a 3 to a Y? Considering trading my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does your state not allow you to only pay the taxes on the difference on the trade? If they do you may be better off trading it in.
NY does.

The Tesla trade in offer would be slightly underwater. So, we'd have to come out of pocket to pay off the loan, and to cover the first payment/acquisition/dmv-fees. Also, we are leasing, so the sales tax is minimal.

I have a 2018 Model 3 that I'm considering trading in for a Y. For those who have gone from a 3 to a Y have you been happy with the change?

I like the driving dynamics of the 3 but could really use the extra room of the Y.

The Model Y driving is very similar to the Model 3. I like the Model Y a lot. It’s quieter, lots of space and very easy to get in and out of.

I think the Model Y is a better car. The Model 3 with 18 inch Wheels looks better than the Model Y with 19 inch wheels. But all the other size wheels have terrible mileage loss by reporting on this forum.

That’s the main problem with the performance. You lose a lot of mileage. Yes, it accelerates abit more, but not as much as Performance 3 or performance S.

So make your choice, pretty or long range....

now of course, it’s traditional on the forum to complain about one’s choice....

Last edited:
I’ve had a RWD 3 since April ‘18 and my wife has a AWD Y As of June. She prefers the Y with smoother ride, higher seats, more room, bigger cargo space, etc. When she borrows my 3 she says “Wow, yours is faster!” It actually isn’t but the lower seats, sport tires, and red color makes it feel faster. Personally I prefer the 3’s sportier handling on shorter trips - but we take the Y for longer ones.

I’ve had a RWD 3 since April ‘18 and my wife has a AWD Y As of June. She prefers the Y with smoother ride, higher seats, more room, bigger cargo space, etc. When she borrows my 3 she says “Wow, yours is faster!” It actually isn’t but the lower seats, sport tires, and red color makes it feel faster. Personally I prefer the 3’s sportier handling on shorter trips - but we take the Y for longer ones.
Especially the red color :D

• Funny
Reactions: msee67 and kmacm20
Test drove a Y performance on Friday and very similar to my 3 in many ways.

One thing that concerned me a bit was the A/C. It seemed the car could not cool itself down. 95F when I picked it up, I had it for ~45 minutes & the A/C was maxed out the entire time set to 68F, it could not get down to the set temp.

For reference on my 3 it usually takes ~5 minutes to get down to the same 68F in the same ambient conditions.

Curious what folks experiences have been with the A/C and it's ability to cool the car.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Reborn and E Dizzle

One thing that concerned me a bit was the A/C. It seemed the car could not cool itself down. 95F when I picked it up, I had it for ~45 minutes & the A/C was maxed out the entire time set to 68F, it could not get down to the set temp.

For reference on my 3 it usually takes ~5 minutes to get down to the same 68F in the same ambient conditions.

Curious what folks experiences have been with the A/C and it's ability to cool the car.
Works great for me but I tinted the whole car - really a must for the southwest. You must have tinted your M3 right?

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
So far so good.

The MY physics are a little different so I feel like regen braking is slightly less sharp.

That being said, the MY with 19” rides more comfortably, especially over bumps and is just as smooth and enjoyable as the M3.

I found the A/C to be fine. Cold at 66-68° and warm at 70°. The M3 needed to be at 74° to feel warm in the summer. I haven’t tried the MY on 90° day.

F116D7F9-BBB7-4E17-A9CC-0D874698662D.jpeg

Picked up my Y on Sunday and still currently own my 3 (sale pending). Both LR AWD.

Overall the Y feels like a more well put together vehicle with a lot more utility. It also feels so amazing to have an automatic trunk again. I know it’s petty but having to manually open and close the trunk on the 3 made the car feel less technologically advanced. Ruined the space ship feel of it.

I do think the 3 is more fun to drive and feels quicker, even though it’s only .4 seconds faster 0-60. I loved my 3 and I’m sure I’ll miss it from time to time. It really is a great vehicle.

at the end of the day it comes down to what you use your vehicle for and what type of driving position you like. Low and sporty, 3 all the way. Higher and more utility, Y it is.
5F896FCB-7D4A-4691-9522-B03B159EBC83.jpeg

Same situation, but with the current economic situation, I would be interested knowing about the trade value offered by Tesla?

A new 2020 Model Y AWD 20" Tow Hitch FSD is $62k (inc delivery, before sales taxes and dmv)

My October 2018 Model 3 AWD 19" FSD was $73k (inc delivery, before sales taxes and DMV)
but at the time I got a Fed and State discount of $10k, so basically I paid $63k (before tax & dmv)

Carfax list my 2018 Model 3 AWD just above $50k

Carvana offer is about $30k
Carfax list my 2018 model LR AWD as 41200 and tesla offers 40200.
How many miles do you have on your car?

I am puzzle also how they determine the offer. You cannot negociate.
It's a touchless process. You just enter your VIN and Zipcode, and select Sell or Trade-in
I guess they need to make a profit and find a dealer.
KKB Market Value $40k
Local Market Val - $10,300k
Your Offer Value $29,700K​
Hi,

I am surprised by your price quote from Tesla. They offered me $36K for my 2018 Model 3 dual motor, long range with 12,900 miles and in excellent condition. I don't have any autopilot but Tesla can add that to a car with a simply software upgrade.

I have model 3 and we just received MY for my wife. We have had this same experience. It can cool from 100C interior temperature when leaving from garage, but it could not reach setpoint when car had been parked in direct sun on a 97 degree day. With about 7min of run time starting AC from the app, followed by 20 min of drive time, the system stalled out at about 74 degree internal temp per app. Air temp coming from the vent only moved into the 45-50 range for the last few minutes of the trip—otherwise, it was about 55. In other conditions, I have measured <45 air temp coming from the vents consistently. There seem to be many AC issues noted in the forum. I have arranged a service visit because my experience above is definitely subpar, especially compared to the Model 3. Since the above time, we have tinted all the windows except the roof. Experience has definitely improved, but haven’t been out enough to know for sure. It will still go to the service center for evaluation.