Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences going from a 3 to a Y? Considering trading my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They offered me CDN$53K for 218 LR AWD with 19” wheels, white interior and EAP with 31,500 km. I actually thought that wasn’t too bad.

On a road trip now with my wife and 2 teenage boys and while I love the car, the way it looks as drives and it does hold a ton of stuff, the added functionality of a Y is awfully tempting.

Traded my 2018 M3 RWD for a MY P+.

Loved the M3, but the MY’s handling seems to be an order of magnitude better.

The M3 had 19” all season tires and handled very well, but I could easily break the tires loose on a sharp curve.

The Y has the 21” summer tires and I have not yet be able to find the breaking point. Similar handling to my Porsche. Strange as the MY has a higher center of gravity…

Other than handling; quieter interior, no motor whine, better ride control and love that white interior. Miss my M3, but no regrets trading for the MY.

Reactions: N8Howell33
Really interested in this thread. Almost a year into my Model 3 ownership and I love it. However with a dog joining the family soon I may well consider changing to a Model Y for the hatchback practicality. Well, I will when it’s available in the UK :rolleyes:

As well as that I’m really surprised to see the comments on this thread on improved cabin noise compared to the 3. That’s very appealing and I didn’t expect it. Added bonus.

Keen to see more experiences of those who’ve made the move from 3 to Y.

Really interested in this thread. Almost a year into my Model 3 ownership and I love it. However with a dog joining the family soon I may well consider changing to a Model Y for the hatchback practicality. Well, I will when it’s available in the UK :rolleyes:

As well as that I’m really surprised to see the comments on this thread on improved cabin noise compared to the 3. That’s very appealing and I didn’t expect it. Added bonus.

Keen to see more experiences of those who’ve made the move from 3 to Y.

I did an overnight test drive of the Y on Monday and the cabin noise reduction is pretty significant. The Y is so much quieter than my 2018 3. I even have tried to block the wind from getting into the pillars of the 3, made sure the mirror plastic doesn't stick out etc... and the Y is still way quieter.

Reactions: Reborn
I did an overnight test drive of the Y on Monday and the cabin noise reduction is pretty significant. The Y is so much quieter than my 2018 3. I even have tried to block the wind from getting into the pillars of the 3, made sure the mirror plastic doesn't stick out etc... and the Y is still way quieter.

I am genuinely surprised at this. My assumption was that the Y would be a little noisier than the 3 due to being taller. It would seem however that Tesla have made a specific effort to improve cabin noise in the Y after getting some criticism on this for the 3.

My Y is currently at Tesla getting some delivery day items fixed. In the meantime, I have been driving my 3 before I sell it next week.

The 3 is definitely more sporty feeling to drive. Everytime I get behind the wheel it feels like a rocketship sports car. The handling is better and it really is a fun car to drive.

That being said, and this is a personal aspect, I find myself driving a bit more aggressively compared to the Y. Knowing I have that power and handling makes it easier to overtake someone or take that corner just a little bit faster than normal. It invites you to push the envelope because it is absolutely capable of handling it, which means its easier to get into trouble with.

With the Y, the car still has that acceleration that makes a Tesla great, however the urges mentioned above are tamed down a bit. Between that, the increased ride height, the quieter ride, and the loads more usable space, I am extremely happy with my move to the Y. In a perfect world I would have both (or the Y and the roadster... A man can dream).

Note: These are my personal experiences. I understand that we all have different driving habits, experiences, preferences, etc. Merely sharing my personal experience/thought process owning both vehicles.

My Y is currently at Tesla getting some delivery day items fixed. In the meantime, I have been driving my 3 before I sell it next week.

The 3 is definitely more sporty feeling to drive. Everytime I get behind the wheel it feels like a rocketship sports car. The handling is better and it really is a fun car to drive.

That being said, and this is a personal aspect, I find myself driving a bit more aggressively compared to the Y. Knowing I have that power and handling makes it easier to overtake someone or take that corner just a little bit faster than normal. It invites you to push the envelope because it is absolutely capable of handling it, which means its easier to get into trouble with.

With the Y, the car still has that acceleration that makes a Tesla great, however the urges mentioned above are tamed down a bit. Between that, the increased ride height, the quieter ride, and the loads more usable space, I am extremely happy with my move to the Y. In a perfect world I would have both (or the Y and the roadster... A man can dream).

Note: These are my personal experiences. I understand that we all have different driving habits, experiences, preferences, etc. Merely sharing my personal experience/thought process owning both vehicles.
I didn’t notice a big difference in noise vs the new M3, but agree with this assessment.

In the Tesla world, it’s a small, sporty feel (M3) vs more space (MY). Seasoned Tesla drivers will tell a difference. In the general car buyer viewpoint, the MY is a bigger version of the M3- an extremely quick car that drives as well as nearly any sedan/CUV, with the same drawbacks as any other Tesla. It’s the better choice for a 1-car household imo, as the combination of functional space plus performance is currently unmatched in the industry.

As a multi-car house, we kept the little extra “fun” feel with the M3 rather than get a MY. We primarily need the extra space of the MY on road trips, for which our PHEV is much better suited for. Although I would have preferred simply a hatchback version of the M3 rather than a CUV, it retains enough of the M3 to be tempting. Had it come with an improved interior or technology (like options the E-Tron has), we would have gotten rid of our S. Alas, we’ll wait for the next generation of EVs. I better save up for the Roadster to pair up with the new long-range, quick charging options we’ll soon have.

Had a Model 3 for just a few days in 2019 but took it back within a week for lack of room and too low for me ingress and out. Waited for the Model Y and picked it up a week ago. Love this car. The trail bike fits in it just right plus lots of other room. 2X motor is awesome and the car reacts to every whim with precision.

Had a Model 3 for just a few days in 2019 but took it back within a week for lack of room and too low for me ingress and out. Waited for the Model Y and picked it up a week ago. Love this car. The trail bike fits in it just right plus lots of other room. 2X motor is awesome and the car reacts to every whim with precision.

LR or performance? Congrats

I can’t answer this directly, but I can tell you that my wife has Model 3 and I recently downsized from an X to a Y. So I now have experience with both the Y and the 3. The space of the Y is much better than the 3. The higher seating in the Y makes getting in and out easier. The Y is smaller than the X - but not as much as you would think. The second row seating of the Y is much more spacious than the 3. I like driving the Y more than the 3 because of the higher seating position but the handling seems very similar to the 3. I say go for it!
Just got trade-in value from Tesla. They did say the values are starting to drop because more and more people are trading 3 for Y.

2018 AWD, 26k miles, Midnight Silver, White interior, FSD. $40,100.

Seems the Tesla quotes are all over the map.

I was offered $31,700 from Tesla for my 2018 LR RWD M3 (no FSD) with 26k miles. Carvana offered $35,700. I'm not usually a fan of Craigslist but I sold my last car very easily so I decided to try again. I sold it within 7 days for $40,500.

I ordered my Y and was quoted a 4-8 week lead. Got a call in 1 day!! Unfortunately, I was going out of town so I couldn't take delivery. Patiently waiting for the next call without my 3 :(

This question might be better suited for a separate thread, but I'll try it here first.

I am considering trading my M3 for an MY. The MY AWD comes with 19 inch wheels. I have snow tires for the M3. Does anyone know if the M3 18 inch wheels can be used on the MY?

Thanks

I have a 2018 Model 3 that I'm considering trading in for a Y. For those who have gone from a 3 to a Y have you been happy with the change?

I like the driving dynamics of the 3 but could really use the extra room of the Y.

The primary reason to buy a Model Y is if you need the extra room. I have a 3, X, and Y and have probably driven 10,000 miles in an S because of service problems with my X. Since I have tons of miles on all 4 cars, I can tell you conclusively that there is nothing more fun than a model 3. It’s sporty and just and absolute blast to drive even though and S or X are faster.
People say the 3 and Y are so similar, but that’s also an urban legend. Even though it shares so many parts the cars feel completely different based on the size. My performance Y is extremely fast buts it’s not the same thrill to drive. However I will acknowledge it has almost the same amount of space as my X and is more comfortable than the X. If they don’t do a good job on the refresh of the X, there will be no reason to purchase an X anymore. The falcon doors are cool but I’m fairly certain they will break years before my model Y doors break. Just my two cents given that I own most all of them. If you absolutely need the space but the Y and you will be happy, but if space is no issue the model 3 is still the most compelling car they ever built.