Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences going from a 3 to a Y? Considering trading my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interestingly I have the same exact build as you except mine is a 2019 and I have roughly 11,000 on the odometer. Tesla offered me $43,300

If we exclude the fact that my car is one year newer than yours, that means Tesla’s per mile depreciation rate is $7.67

I was comparing to the other user who had 34,000 on the odometer. That’s a difference of 23,000 miles.

They offered them $40,300 for their vehicle and $43,300 for mine. A difference of $3,000

23,000 miles divided by $3,000 = $7.67/mile

I'm surprised no one corrected your calculation.

It should be: $3,000 divided by 23,000 miles = $0.13/mile

We bought a 2019 M3AWD a year ago. We now have 5,800 miles on it (driven only on Sundays by a little old lady to church....) and realize that we 'fall into' it when we get in. The MY is taller, and I presume the seating position is higher, so we would 'slide into' it instead. And that's what we want to do. IF the wife approves the swap, then I'll miss the Acceleration Boost upgrade, but I think, from reading what everyone has written so far, that we will be happier. Especially on long trips.

We bought a 2019 M3AWD a year ago. We now have 5,800 miles on it (driven only on Sundays by a little old lady to church....) and realize that we 'fall into' it when we get in. The MY is taller, and I presume the seating position is higher, so we would 'slide into' it instead. And that's what we want to do. IF the wife approves the swap, then I'll miss the Acceleration Boost upgrade, but I think, from reading what everyone has written so far, that we will be happier. Especially on long trips.
The main reason I switched was ease of entry/egress for my wife with MS - MY is much easier. And at some point I’m sure Elon will make the $2K acceleration boost available so more joy with just a software update!

We sold our Model 3 AWD in January and took delivery of our LR AWD MY end of May. We switched mostly for the ease of entry/exit and the easy larger rear access. We found the ride quality and handling to be comparable plus the additional space and easy access has been worth the switch for us.

Picked up my Y on Sunday and still currently own my 3 (sale pending). Both LR AWD.

Overall the Y feels like a more well put together vehicle with a lot more utility. It also feels so amazing to have an automatic trunk again. I know it’s petty but having to manually open and close the trunk on the 3 made the car feel less technologically advanced. Ruined the space ship feel of it.

I do think the 3 is more fun to drive and feels quicker, even though it’s only .4 seconds faster 0-60. I loved my 3 and I’m sure I’ll miss it from time to time. It really is a great vehicle.

at the end of the day it comes down to what you use your vehicle for and what type of driving position you like. Low and sporty, 3 all the way. Higher and more utility, Y it is.
View attachment 574479
How is the Y compared to the 3 in terms of cabin noise. I own a Model 3 dual LR for a year now and find the loud cabin noise the only downside. I would consider switching to the Y if it improves the comfort level from an acoustic point of view. What is your experience on Highways (with not perfect road surface)? Thank you for your advice.

How is the Y compared to the 3 in terms of cabin noise. I own a Model 3 dual LR for a year now and find the loud cabin noise the only downside. I would consider switching to the Y if it improves the comfort level from an acoustic point of view. What is your experience on Highways (with not perfect road surface)? Thank you for your advice.
One of the best improvements, much quieter!

Noticeably quieter. A night and day difference in highway cabin noise. It was one of the main reason why I switched. It’s not bmw or Bentley quiet, but compared to the 3 it feels/sounds like it

We are thinking of trading our 2018 M3 LR AWD for a MY; our trade-in value from Tesla was $41k for the M3, so it would only be about $9k for the upgrade. We have done 2 test drives with the MY and the ride is significantly smoother and quieter, plus it is easier to get a car seat in and out of the MY (and easier to get the stroller out of the trunk). If I was the only one driving the car or we had another utility vehicle, I might stick with the 3 since it is slightly more fun to drive, but the Y is an excellent car and more suited for having people (kids or adults) riding in the back

We are thinking of trading our 2018 M3 LR AWD for a MY; our trade-in value from Tesla was $41k for the M3, so it would only be about $9k for the upgrade. We have done 2 test drives with the MY and the ride is significantly smoother and quieter, plus it is easier to get a car seat in and out of the MY (and easier to get the stroller out of the trunk). If I was the only one driving the car or we had another utility vehicle, I might stick with the 3 since it is slightly more fun to drive, but the Y is an excellent car and more suited for having people (kids or adults) riding in the back
Curious as to if you have EAP or FSD and what wheels you have. Tesla offered my a bit lower for 2018 LR RWD with EAP and 18K miles. I am in the same boat as you thinking about selling or trading for a model Y

Tesla just updated my offer for 2018 LR RWD, Pearl White, EAP, 22.5k miles. They offered $32,500. That's a few thousand less than what they offered back in start of April. I was honestly expecting the offer to go up not down (due to covid and thinking it was low back then)

I was told they have a potential Y for me for end of August but not sure I want it with that trade in offer..

Tesla just updated my offer for 2018 LR RWD, Pearl White, EAP, 22.5k miles. They offered $32,500. That's a few thousand less than what they offered back in start of April. I was honestly expecting the offer to go up not down (due to covid and thinking it was low back then)

I was told they have a potential Y for me for end of August but not sure I want it with that trade in offer..

Offers seem low at the moment. I just got a quote for a june 2019 sr+ trade in of CAD35k! (All in purchase price around CAD$60k). Doesn’t make trade to Y a viable
proposition!!

They just offered me $35,900 for my 2018 LR RWD EAP & FSD w/29k miles. My rare silver must be valuable :D

Reactions: Mikeydeek