Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences of Tesla leasing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, newbie here teetering on the brink of pressing that buy button but still thinking through the SR+ v LR dilemma (much great posts on here about that for which I'm v. grateful). And whether to go leasing or PCP.

But the questions I had are on leasing.

1) Can anyone tell me how easy it is to return a Tesla back to Tesla as a leased car - I mean how difficult are they with the odd bump, scratch etc? I may be keeping the car for up to 4 years so I assume there will be quite a few of those over the years!

2) Has anyone had any good/bad experiences of returning a Tesla either to Tesla themselves or a third party leasing company?

3) Leasing companies appear to provide more flexibility with miles and leasing period. Has anyone managed to negotiate a different set of miles/leasing term with Tesla at the time of purchase? On the website it's either 36/48 months and nothing less than 10K miles per year. My Tesla will be a weekend car so don't expect to do more than 6K miles a year.

Thanks in advance!

My Model S was a lease. They send out a 3rd party that inspects the car. Your lease terms are very specific on everything from how many scratches/dings of what size are allowed, tire tread, rim scratches, etc. As long as you're under the allowed amount specified, you're good. It was a pretty easy process. I had one door ding and a few nicks from rocks on the front bumper. They also caught that it was repainted in the rear from when I was rear-ended. They didn't charge me extra but just noted on the return that the rear bumper was repainted.

For #3, I have no idea about that. It doesn't hurt to ask, you just won't see any of those options online.

My Model S was a lease. They send out a 3rd party that inspects the car. Your lease terms are very specific on everything from how many scratches/dings of what size are allowed, tire tread, rim scratches, etc. As long as you're under the allowed amount specified, you're good. It was a pretty easy process. I had one door ding and a few nicks from rocks on the front bumper. They also caught that it was repainted in the rear from when I was rear-ended. They didn't charge me extra but just noted on the return that the rear bumper was repainted.

For #3, I have no idea about that. It doesn't hurt to ask, you just won't see any of those options online.

Thanks, looks like in your case no worse than other leasing companies then.