Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences so far in trying to sell a Tesla Model 3 LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TJGreen1955

Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2022
USA
Very interesting experience so far. CarMax, Vroom, etc. are offering cash at either the high-end of their on-line quotes or the very bottom, depending on which site you go to. My visit to CarMax was quick and easy, very professional. Craigslist generates the least number of responses, but clearly the most "scam" possibilities. AutoTrader is definitely being used by local car dealers to grab your Tesla. It starts with "Is your car still available" and goes downhill from there. Everyone of those offer the top end price from CarMax. A couple have offered to buy at my quoted price if I drive to over to them.

Very interesting experience so far. CarMax, Vroom, etc. are offering cash at either the high-end of their on-line quotes or the very bottom, depending on which site you go to. My visit to CarMax was quick and easy, very professional. Craigslist generates the least number of responses, but clearly the most "scam" possibilities. AutoTrader is definitely being used by local car dealers to grab your Tesla. It starts with "Is your car still available" and goes downhill from there. Everyone of those offer the top end price from CarMax. A couple have offered to buy at my quoted price if I drive to over to them.
You should try driveway.com as well. They offered the most when I sold last year

Thank you. I just tried them. Their offer is similar to other sites. I'm finding it hard to accept what is offered for cash from dealers versus a private sale. While I understand they need to make a profit, I don't think the profit is reasonable for an electric car. They're just going to clean it and list it. It's no like they have do a fresh oil change, filter, etc.

Thank you. I just tried them. Their offer is similar to other sites. I'm finding it hard to accept what is offered for cash from dealers versus a private sale. While I understand they need to make a profit, I don't think the profit is reasonable for an electric car. They're just going to clean it and list it. It's no like they have do a fresh oil change, filter, etc.
True, but dealers also have overhead that us individuals don't have.

I'm beginning to discover the hidden truth behind that. GiveMeTheVin is a national reseller company. They buy cars and then resell them through "auctions". Then they end up being offered to the public. Someone called me from Texas, sent the request to a "funding group" which if approved would create a chain of events where I go to a local office for paperwork/check. Then the car gets transported somewhere else, etc. That's a lot of overhead.

Recently sold my 2017 model X, I paid $200 to list on onlyusedtesla.com as well as $5 for cargurus, free listing on FB marketplace, on here, and offerup. Ended up selling on FB private party for about $9k more than the highest offer from any of the online retailers (carvana,shift,vroom,etc.).