Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences w/ Spectra Photosync on Pano Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
For those that have installed the Spectra Photosync tint on the MY, what has your experience been thus far over last the 2-3 years?

My local tint shop in SoCal has the photosync but only recommends it for the windshield. He recommended Pinnacle One for the roof. He said the photosync absorbs so much heat it can cause the glass to crack.

Has anyone had any issues with theirs thus far?

Although I put PhotoSync all around on all my Teslas, I’ve never put it on top. I didn’t find a need and my latest Model Y seems cool without it (I live in AZ).

I have put it on my Lucid Air top glass and have not had any cracking, but the glass formulation could be different than Tesla’s.

Even using 70% on the windshield, the IR absorption is almost the same as other tint levels and I would think it should be problem their too. I have never had a windshield crack due to PhotoSync, but then again the windshield cracks due to rocks before other problems show up.

Although I put PhotoSync all around on all my Teslas, I’ve never put it on top. I didn’t find a need and my latest Model Y seems cool without it (I live in AZ).

I have put it on my Lucid Air top glass and have not had any cracking, but the glass formulation could be different than Tesla’s.

Even using 70% on the windshield, the IR absorption is almost the same as other tint levels and I would think it should be problem their too. I have never had a windshield crack due to PhotoSync, but then again the windshield cracks due to rocks before other problems show up.
How’s the tinting / color of the windshield? I’ve read with the photosync there may be some coloring and a rainbow effect when wearing polarized sunglasses.

How’s the tinting / color of the windshield? I’ve read with the photosync there may be some coloring and a rainbow effect when wearing polarized sunglasses.
I don’t own or wear polarized glasses, so I don’t know. But if the sun hits the windshield at such an angle as to be parallel to the windshield, there is a little hazing.

I have the PhotoSync on my model 3 for about a month. 30 on sides,back, roof and 70 on the windshield.
If I had to do it again I would skip the roof - no noticble imrovment, maybe even worse than stock.
A roof sunshade realy made a big difference.