Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences with demo car quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already hate you :p

I had a couple different reps look high and low for me for DAYS for a LR RWD about four weeks ago. Nation wide they couldn’t find any inventory vehicles or demo cars or anything. We basically came to the conclusion that they were absolutely gone, except for that last batch of new ones which had an unknown manufacturing run date...

Then to have own pop up in Portland, which is only hours from me?! AND with an above average discount!!! You might actually be able to slide under the $45k limit for the WA sales tax exemption (still not sure if the destination fee counts or not), which should be good for another $2-$2.5k off AND still get a little federal credit.

I already hate you :p

I had a couple different reps look high and low for me for DAYS for a LR RWD about four weeks ago. Nation wide they couldn’t find any inventory vehicles or demo cars or anything. We basically came to the conclusion that they were absolutely gone, except for that last batch of new ones which had an unknown manufacturing run date...

Then to have own pop up in Portland, which is only hours from me?! AND with an above average discount!!! You might actually be able to slide under the $45k limit for the WA sales tax exemption (still not sure if the destination fee counts or not), which should be good for another $2-$2.5k off AND still get a little federal credit.

:)

I’ve been in the same boat for a while myself and have been all over the map looking for a few months (used, new, MRs, etc.). I had committed to finding something to which the WA State incentive applied. At the beginning of Aug, Tesla was excluding destination fees from the calculation (and the car I have on reserve would have met the criteria). In mid August, the rules were clarified by the State. Destination and documentation are now included in the sale price. So, with waiting, I now have the build I really wanted and a seemingly nice discount but am $51 on the wrong side of the incentive threshold.

:)

I’ve been in the same boat for a while myself and have been all over the map looking for a few months (used, new, MRs, etc.). I had committed to finding something to which the WA State incentive applied. At the beginning of Aug, Tesla was excluding destination fees from the calculation (and the car I have on reserve would have met the criteria). In mid August, the rules were clarified by the State. Destination and documentation are now included in the sale price. So, with waiting, I now have the build I really wanted and a seemingly nice discount but am $51 on the wrong side of the incentive threshold.

Talk to Tesla, I would be really surprised if they couldn’t discount it a little more to make that. If it was $500 I could see them holding firm, but that small amount just seems crazy if they can’t/won’t!

Also, if you need a referral code to score some free supercharging I *cough* wouldn’t mind helping you out in the direct messages... I mean since you did steal my golden car from me before I even knew about it.... and after I took delivery of a lowly SR+

;)

Talk to Tesla, I would be really surprised if they couldn’t discount it a little more to make that. If it was $500 I could see them holding firm, but that small amount just seems crazy if they can’t/won’t!

Also, if you need a referral code to score some free supercharging I *cough* wouldn’t mind helping you out in the direct messages... I mean since you did steal my golden car from me before I even knew about it.... and after I took delivery of a lowly SR+

;)

I’d love to but so far I’ve exhausted all options I can think of with zero movement (advisor, random phone numbers, change request form on my account page, etc.). I didn’t have much hope for any reduction but it would be silly to be so close and not try all I can. It mostly feels like shots in the dark though. If anyone has other angles, let me know. One thought I had was that if the documentation fee could be ruled out of the sale price as not applicable, I could petition the State for a refund via a form they have online.

Thanks for the offer on the code but one has already been applied...

I’d love to but so far I’ve exhausted all options I can think of with zero movement (advisor, random phone numbers, change request form on my account page, etc.). I didn’t have much hope for any reduction but it would be silly to be so close and not try all I can. It mostly feels like shots in the dark though. If anyone has other angles, let me know. One thought I had was that if the documentation fee could be ruled out of the sale price as not applicable, I could petition the State for a refund via a form they have online.

Thanks for the offer on the code but one has already been applied...

Is the white being charged as an upgrade? (The car would have been built during a time that white was a cost option), if so maybe you can get them to waive that fee by saying you just wanted the plain black and obviously they don’t have a car to match you with. You would have to take delivery immediately, and Tesla cracked down on that once people started thinking it meant end of quarter “free upgrades” instead of waived fees for deviations from what the customer actually wanted...

Same on if it has 19s on it...

Can you take it for a drive? I would check if the car run staright in a street without using the AutoPilot for correcting the trajectory.

Testing the Sumon is a good way to verify if the sensors are working.

Also, examine in detail the rims, to see if there was any major curb rash.

Depending on the mileage and overall seats or painting aspect, if something was wrong it would have already failed.

Getting a LR RWD is not common any more, and saving $$$ is always good.

I'd like to but I've heard that's pretty much never permitted. Untrue?

Have you asked them if you still have the 7 day return window? It might be a pain in the butt if you're not local to Portland, but worth while to drive it around 100 miles or something the first day you take delivery and then if there are issues drive it right back to Portland the next day and start a return (if they refuse to fix).

There is a possibility they will continue to use it for demo rides while you make your decision. If you show up and find it has additional mileage on it beyond what was quoted to you, you could ask for an additional discount to reflect the higher mileage figure. If it has an additional 100 miles on it they should give you another $72.00 discount.

Have you asked them if you still have the 7 day return window? It might be a pain in the butt if you're not local to Portland, but worth while to drive it around 100 miles or something the first day you take delivery and then if there are issues drive it right back to Portland the next day and start a return (if they refuse to fix).

I haven't but might as well confirm. I had assumed that it carried the same return option as other new ones. The car is actually being transferred to the Seattle area, so that makes it a little more straightforward...