Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences with HV battery replacement 2015 MS 70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in the middle of HV battery replacement? I'm currently in one (covered under warranty), not sure if anyone's running a car with a replaced one and what your experience is. For those currently in service, what's your estimated wait? Mines about a month, but a gut feeling is that it's longer.

No loaners available for me, so I'm debating on calling insurance to see if they cover a rental but wanted to see what everyone else's experience right now

Sorry to see you need a new main battery, but glad that it's covered under warranty. Tesla should really give you a loaner...I know they have for others in a similar situation. Can you get one from another Tesla location? If not, what about if they cover your rental car cost? Going through your insurance for that could possibly be a third option.

Sorry to see you need a new main battery, but glad that it's covered under warranty. Tesla should really give you a loaner...I know they have for others in a similar situation. Can you get one from another Tesla location? If not, what about if they cover your rental car cost? Going through your insurance for that could possibly be a third option.
Thanks, I did try the insurance but no luck, if anything I can do a reassessment once I get back to lower my projected miles but that's about it since the issue wasn't related to a crash. I didn't think about calling other Tesla SC locations about if they have loaners. I'll give it a shot later today but my initial feeling is that they're probably just as backed up. For the meantime it is Uber credits to get around.

Mine was just completed a week ago. I had to wait about 1.5 months to get a refurb pack. Currently same range as failed pack and still Chargegate limited on Supercharging. My biggest concern is i have a little over a year left on the warranty and what will I do if the current pack fails out of warranty since its innerds are of unknown age and usage. At the point its going to be a push if it worth replacing or just selling the car for parts.

Reactions: ravenk
Anyone in the middle of HV battery replacement? I'm currently in one (covered under warranty), not sure if anyone's running a car with a replaced one and what your experience is. For those currently in service, what's your estimated wait? Mines about a month, but a gut feeling is that it's longer.

No loaners available for me, so I'm debating on calling insurance to see if they cover a rental but wanted to see what everyone else's experience right now
What was the message you got that it had failed? How many miles on your battery at the time of failure? And what was your rated range prior to replacement? I'm curious because my battery has 126k miles on it so far. It has about 14% degradation from the new rating but I haven't seen anything to suggest it is about to fail.

Mine was just completed a week ago. I had to wait about 1.5 months to get a refurb pack. Currently same range as failed pack and still Chargegate limited on Supercharging. My biggest concern is i have a little over a year left on the warranty and what will I do if the current pack fails out of warranty since its innerds are of unknown age and usage. At the point its going to be a push if it worth replacing or just selling the car for parts.
Yeah - same situation - right now I'm looking into lemon law rules just purely due to the time duration of how long it is in the shop. But the going concern of the battery health is always in the back of my mind to determine to sell or not too. :( Sucks that yours went through the same sitch.

What was the message you got that it had failed? How many miles on your battery at the time of failure? And what was your rated range prior to replacement? I'm curious because my battery has 126k miles on it so far. It has about 14% degradation from the new rating but I haven't seen anything to suggest it is about to fail.
I got the alert "BMS_u018 Maximum battery charge level reduced. OK to drive - Schedule service". The miles I had left at time of message was 38 miles. I think it was around 214 rated range before that (never really paid attention though because I charged to 90%). The only way I triggered for the battery to get here was to actually drive it down to ~20% so I could check on the reliability of the remaining miles. With your car out of warranty, I honestly don't know if I'd test that. If I had driven my car regularly (only a few miles per day) and charged it before it got that low, who knows if I would've discovered the battery to fail like this.

• Informative
Reactions: ran349
snip. Tesla should really give you a loaner...I know they have for others in a similar situation. Can you get one from another Tesla location? If not, what about if they cover your rental car cost? Going through your insurance for that could possibly be a third option.
For my local shop they do loaners through enterprise, so for apts in the am there is usually 2 enterprise agents at the SC cleaning cars and getting them issued out to people some days its only like 2 cars available then you go to enterprise for a normal ICE car other days there is like 10 there just depends on the luck of the draw that day.

Regardless anytime my car is in the shop if they think its gonna take longer than COB that day i get a loaner. However, i always let the advisor know I'm not local and its a 2 hr drive so i can't take uber credits if they don't think the car will be done today sometimes i get a call at home at 1600 saying the car is done but they gave me a loaner so i just drive down the next day and pick up my car. Its always painless and free for a loaner, if its gonna be done that day i take the uber credits and go to a bar and have some beers and burgers till the car is done.

Anyway back to your problem if there wasn't any loaners available they should've set you up with a free ICE rental.

For my local shop they do loaners through enterprise, so for apts in the am there is usually 2 enterprise agents at the SC cleaning cars and getting them issued out to people some days its only like 2 cars available then you go to enterprise for a normal ICE car other days there is like 10 there just depends on the luck of the draw that day.

Regardless anytime my car is in the shop if they think its gonna take longer than COB that day i get a loaner. However, i always let the advisor know I'm not local and its a 2 hr drive so i can't take uber credits if they don't think the car will be done today sometimes i get a call at home at 1600 saying the car is done but they gave me a loaner so i just drive down the next day and pick up my car. Its always painless and free for a loaner, if its gonna be done that day i take the uber credits and go to a bar and have some beers and burgers till the car is done.

Anyway back to your problem if there wasn't any loaners available they should've set you up with a free ICE rental.
Maybe the area I'm in (southern California), is very impacted, as I had reached out to the service center just now about loaners from other locations but they had said those locations have to reserve it for whomever is getting serviced at the respective location. So for now it'll be Uber credits for me. For whatever reason they hadn't mentioned anything about Enterprise, but if I had to guess, they're all booked too.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Maybe the area I'm in (southern California), is very impacted, as I had reached out to the service center just now about loaners from other locations but they had said those locations have to reserve it for whomever is getting serviced at the respective location. So for now it'll be Uber credits for me. For whatever reason they hadn't mentioned anything about Enterprise, but if I had to guess, they're all booked too.
When the are out of Tesla's they call an Uber for me to take me to Enterprise like 3 miles away where I get a rental for free.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My experience with a raven model s 2019 is running at 2 months in the shop with no loaner however they did provide me with a free rental. The initial estimate when the car was towed to tesla took about a week to get feed back And was estimated at 1 month which was mind blowing at the time considering i had only owned the car for 2 months, well they have pushed my estimate back twice and now it looks like my estimate will be pushed back again as it sitting at feb 7 at the moment. Make sure you all request a business resolution when its over a month there is potential to receive compensation in supercharger credits or them covering your note is what i was told.

How do you even file a business resolution? Honestly at this point I just want to negotiate that they don't software limit the new battery since they don't make any more 70kwh packs. In my opinion it's better than having to pay out my car note/insurance/buy back.

what SC is your car at? I just got mine back from the Santa Ana SC after 5 weeks for HV bat. replacement they gave me a 17' MX for a loaner.

How do you even file a business resolution? Honestly at this point I just want to negotiate that they don't software limit the new battery since they don't make any more 70kwh packs. In my opinion it's better than having to pay out my car note/insurance/buy back.
That’s somthing that the manager at your service center will have to do on your behalf, that was what happened for me in any case.

70D owner here. More of a curiosity question. Have you been told what pack they are going to put in your car?

Had my HP battery fail in 2019 (car is a 2013). No warning, just stooped working, although the 12V did work so I could open the doors and windows. Took about a monthly for the swap. I think that Tesla gave me a refurb battery (under warranty at the time) and software limited it to give me the exact same range as what I had on the previous battery. Otherwise it would have been too big a coincidence to have the exact same level of degradation.

If you would, please tag me with the details once you get your new battery

I'll have to apologize in advance, but I will probably forget so feel free to DM me if you don't hear for a while. As of today, no update and car is "scheduled" to be done tomorrow. Pressing X to doubt right now. Honestly do feel for the service teams that I don't think they're intentionally doing this as much as their priorities set by management are poor.