Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences with paint issues after getting the "Due bill" opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After trying to deny me a couple times the delivery center finally agreed to give me a due bill for paint chips on my tri-coat car that I just picked up.

I think the next steps is to setup a service center appointment and tell them a due bill is open for the issue?

Does anyone know if these usually get referred to a reputable body shop rather than Tesla inhouse for northern california area?

if you ever been in this position, what has been your experience post-delivery at getting the paint to be as it should for a new vehicle?

How bad are the paint chips - any pics ? My car had to go to a Tesla Approved Body Shop, but I had deep gouges and scratches (among other paint defects) that required several panels to be resprayed. In my case, the car looked better after the body shop visit than it did on delivery day.

The paint chip is about 5-7mm and is round. (so about 0.3 of an inch or so?).
I can try to get pics tomorrow... my car was delivered polished and paint wise looks ok other than this paint chip that is clearly going to oxidize if not taken care of properly.

The delivery center applied touch up paint and buffed it out but did a poor job at it, you can still see the base / metal in the round edges of it. They also did this in 10 minutes so they may not even done the touch up properly (?)

In my old ford car, touch up required sanding, then coat the base paint let it sit for 30m to an hour then wet sand a bit and apply clearcoat then buff out. I doubt they did any of that in the 10 minutes.

Many people report that once they try to get something like this fixed, its worse than when they took it in. Since you bought a car that is 2 years old (even with low miles) if it were me I would let it go, because its likely to get worse. Its not a new car with new paint. Its a 2 year old car where you will likely see the repairs (my opinion).

The paint chip is about 5-7mm and is round. (so about 0.3 of an inch or so?).
I can try to get pics tomorrow... my car was delivered polished and paint wise looks ok other than this paint chip that is clearly going to oxidize if not taken care of properly.

The delivery center applied touch up paint and buffed it out but did a poor job at it, you can still see the base / metal in the round edges of it. They also did this in 10 minutes so they may not even done the touch up properly (?)

In my old ford car, touch up required sanding, then coat the base paint let it sit for 30m to an hour then wet sand a bit and apply clearcoat then buff out. I doubt they did any of that in the 10 minutes.

Sounds like you’re an old ford guy... maybe that ford paint quality makes you a bad Tesla fit... I, however, kind of like my red Tesla... god bless the focus

My red one went to a Tesla certified body shop. I guess it's okay, the issues are gone except... I swear under dimmer light my hood is darker than my bumper, and I know people say the bumper will be slightly different color anyway cuz of material but when I took delivery it wasn't like that... but under bright sun it matches perfectly.

since it's on your due bill, it shouldn't cost you a dime so.... I would have them paint it... but for really small things that I couldn't even find to point out to the service center again after finding them on delivery day, I said forget it- so I only had them repaint a few panels that bothered me a lot. Took like 2.5 weeks to get my car back, and it came back with other problems and I'm still dealing with it though.

like the fact they forgot to put back my front hood emblem after all that work.

took me 4 days of wondering why my car looked so oddly naked before i figured it out. But by this time, I had already been to the SC three times that week so they said they will send a mobile team to install the emblem. In two weeks. Meh. Just meh to this whole ordeal. It's been nothing but crap from ordering to delivery to repairs.