Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences with Tesla body repair and glass replacement (Ohio Area)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit a deer this morning, shattered front window, damaged front sensor block with rear view mirror.

(Dash Cam if you want to see, starting at 30 seconds)
2019-08-22_06-59-34-front.mp4
2019-08-22_06-59-34-left_repeater.mp4
(applied brake as soon as i saw it.. which was probably not as soon as he bounded out, but close)

Anyway, car is quite damaged, specifically front window, passenger side mirror is in need of total replacement, hood is only slightly dented. Pillar looks ok from outside, but suspect if bent repair bill goes way up (insured, obviously).

So I guess my question is the following: What kind of turn around can I expect from repair (assuming not totaled) in Ohio?

Am I looking at months driving some god-forsaken rental car?

Additional images:

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_070546.jpg
    IMG_20190822_070546.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20190822_070604.jpg
    IMG_20190822_070604.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20190822_102412.jpg
    IMG_20190822_102412.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 64
Yikes, hope you are OK. I’m guessing not so much for the deer.

Try to locate the nearest Tesla owned repair facility in your area and see if its practical to go there. The Tesla owned facilities are more likely to have access to replacement parts. It’s probably going to be a couple of months based on what other owners have posted. Sorry you have to go through this. Keep us posted on how it goes.

It was a hit and run, did you get his license plate?... (joke).

I'm sorry for your accident, the deer survived because you hit the brakes right away. The windshield should't take too long, but the body damage is the one it will take a long time :(.

Sorry about the accident. I have no recent experience with the body repairs turn around time but would not expect it to be much different than elsewhere, which is not very good. Also, based on my experience a year and half ago from some dent repair by the only Tesla certified repair shop here in Cincinnati, I cannot recommend them as I had to make them redo the paint job.

Looking at the pictures it seems to me that you might be able to decouple the body work from the windshield and mirror replacement. I would first take it to a body shop (check the local Tesla SC for local approved shops) and ask if replacing the windshield and mirror first would interfere with any subsequent body work needed on the A-pillar and elsewhere. If not then you can have the SC replace the mirror and windshield and drive the car until the body shop gets any parts needed and can get you in. Good luck!

Yikes, hope you are OK. I’m guessing not so much for the deer.

Well the deer ran off, when I was going outside to inspect its rack for mounting and haunches for jerky...

The Tesla service appointment leaves a lot to be desired, as I could not really determine if I needed to send it there or straight to a body shop. Guess the Tesla service center is going to have to deal with it themselves when it arrives tomorrow via tow. Tried calling and looking for live chat, but to no success. That is something I think is lacking, the ability to talk to someone for something more major than normal service appointment, which the app is great for. The deer collision? The app is not so great.

The Cincinnati service center uses Blue Ash Auto Body for their body work. I got my car back the first time with some overspray present and Tesla had to reject their work and have it redone a 2nd time on the 2nd visit... Haven't picked it up yet to see how it looks. They also left the doors unlocked in an unsecured lot all weekend, contacted service to ask why it was unlocked with sentry mode manually turned off and they never responded.