Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiencing issues with my drive for TeslaCam...anyone else?

I had my Samsung T7 in my car for weeks without issue--it was plug and play when I first got it after a quick reformat. Well, suddenly, it stopped working.

- I was 1 software update off, figured that might be it--so I updated. It still does not work. The camera icon will show after I do a fresh reformat of the drive--but when I try to launch the viewer, the icon disappears and nothing happens. When a sentry mode is detected and you tap the sentry mode event, nothing launches. When I'm driving, it shows the camera icon with a grey icon, or gone entirely.
- I thought my drive was corrupted--I ejected it and tried it on my laptop--worked just fine.
- I even purchased another brand new Samsung T7, still does not work
- I purchased a microSD endurance card with USB--still does not work. I even get an error with this one (triangle with !)
- I read online that large drives needed to be partitioned to something smaller, despite it working before...so I did that, no change.
- I did the brake pedal + both scrollwheel reboot...nothing changed
- I loaded to my computer and made sure the TeslaCam folder was there--it wasn't, so I made it on both the T7 and the microSD...nothing changed.

The only thing that does work is the shitty USB drive that came with the car and that seems to be my go-to in the meantime. I'm a little frustrated since it worked perfectly fine before and I wish I paid better attention when it failed. I'm now on the latest version of the software but it stopped working prior to this last update. I read around here that someone was experiencing this issue back in September and a few others agreed. I'm hoping a resolution has come since, any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: GeoffEV

EV440

Nov 23, 2021
United States
I had my Samsung T7 in my car for weeks without issue--it was plug and play when I first got it after a quick reformat. Well, suddenly, it stopped working.

- I was 1 software update off, figured that might be it--so I updated. It still does not work. The camera icon will show after I do a fresh reformat of the drive--but when I try to launch the viewer, the icon disappears and nothing happens. When a sentry mode is detected and you tap the sentry mode event, nothing launches. When I'm driving, it shows the camera icon with a grey icon, or gone entirely.
- I thought my drive was corrupted--I ejected it and tried it on my laptop--worked just fine.
- I even purchased another brand new Samsung T7, still does not work
- I purchased a microSD endurance card with USB--still does not work. I even get an error with this one (triangle with !)
- I read online that large drives needed to be partitioned to something smaller, despite it working before...so I did that, no change.
- I did the brake pedal + both scrollwheel reboot...nothing changed
- I loaded to my computer and made sure the TeslaCam folder was there--it wasn't, so I made it on both the T7 and the microSD...nothing changed.

The only thing that does work is the shitty USB drive that came with the car and that seems to be my go-to in the meantime. I'm a little frustrated since it worked perfectly fine before and I wish I paid better attention when it failed. I'm now on the latest version of the software but it stopped working prior to this last update. I read around here that someone was experiencing this issue back in September and a few others agreed. I'm hoping a resolution has come since, any ideas?
Hello were you able to solve this? I have the exact same issue!

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
We noticed the Tesla camera alert on our cars recently as well. Both on our Model S and on our Model 3. Been using a USB reader with the Samsung Endurance microSD card well like forever and never had a problem before this. Hoping to find someone with an explanation of what is going on. And yes we reformatted our cards in the computer (MacOS), using MS-DOT FAT (for Mac as always), created the TeslaCam base level folder and no joy. Frustrated and want the recorded protection.

BTW not sitting in either car right now but I know on my Model 3 the Alert was not the one some people have encountered that stated they had multiple devices plugged in. The card reader I'm using is a UGreen USB-A/USB-C reader with two slots (SD and microSD) and I have only used the microSD on it. Same goes for my husband's car.

I really consider the TeslaCamera an essential feature of the car and hate driving knowing it's not working for some reason and have no idea why. I've seen a number of other posts on here with people suddenly experiencing an USB device alert when they never had a problem before.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC