Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expired LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who here have already gone pass their free LTE period from Tesla and having to start paying for it?

1) How much is it at the moment?

2) Anyone decided NOT to continue paying for LTE, how's the driving experience w/o it?

Just curious...

XM/Sirius map updates on the LEAF used to go 3 years, but are now 3 months in the newer models. Data updates are going away for the early models that used 2G technology as ATT takes down 2G service. Nissan is apparently going to have an updated modem and data plan soon. I don't think anyone will pay for it as the capability is so pitiful as is their nav unit.

Data is included for four years, and the first Model Ss were delivered in June of 2012, so only a handful have gone past the limit (and who knows if Tesla has bothered to actually turn off their access yet). I think your questions are still unanswered for now. I'd expect some news on this in the next six months to a year, once significant numbers of cars start to go past the four year mark.

It has been over 4 years for some owners, since the first retail Model S deliveries were on June 22, 2012.
It's not 4 years from the date of delivery for early buyers, but rather 4 years from the date they decided to offer it free for 4 years. I've found references to this being in early 2014, but regardless of the exact date no one is there yet.

Reactions: Vip
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rytis
I could be misremembering it, but I believe it was January 1, 2014 that they started the 4 year thing. For every car delivered before that date, that's the date the 4 years started. For every car delivered after that date, the 4 years starts on the date of delivery. So, nobody has hit the end of their 4 years yet. They haven't announced what options will exist after the period expires.

2) Anyone decided NOT to continue paying for LTE, how's the driving experience w/o it?

IF they turn off non-telemetric cellular access, it won't change the "driving experience". You just won't get browser access or streaming audio. Nav will probably still be included because it was either part of the Tech package people paid extra for, or included as a standard option later on. The car will always have cellular access for internal telemetry, diagnosis, and firmware updates.

I don't think Tesla will ever charge for cellular access, since they need it anyway, and the extra bandwidth from the browser is negligible (because the browser sucks). Streaming audio might really be the only thing affected if they start to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Naonak
I am sure at the time I ordered my car that there was something in the owners manual or somewhere that said that map updates and real-time traffic data would be provided free for 7 years. Looking at the latest owners manual it doesn't mention the period of free map updates nor real-time traffic. On the Tesla website it still talks about map updates for 7 years, but no longer mentions real-time traffic. The real-time traffic would seem to need cellular data. Also Tesla probably wants to continue to fetch logs etc, so even if you don't buy cellular service after 4 years, there will probably be some minimal level of function left.

If Tesla charges a dime more than what TMobile or ATT charges to add a tablet to the plan, this guy will be wifi tethering through his phone. IMO its ridiculous for Tesla to even think that we will pay anything more than that. An iPad has so much more functionality, I'm not going to pay a crazy high price for a broken navigation system, and moody media player.

.. okay piping down a bit .. Tesla hasn't released any pricing details, but I'd be Texas mad if they decide to gouge this captive audience. At 10 bucks a month, I'd be grumpy but I'd accept.