Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expired LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also I don't see a place to put a SIM card in, and it's AT&T in the US at least.

There's a slot with one (getting at it is another issue)...

image.jpg

Tesla said it would be free for four years. It's not been 4 years for anyone yet, and Tesla hasn't announced what would happen after that.

As I recall, Elon said they were including four years now, and would like to make it free for the life of the car but were still trying to figure out how to do that.

Given how web centric the car is and now many other things they've started including, I don't really expect them to start charging for cellular service for the cars in ~2018.

It's going to cost them more to administer the plan than they'll ever collect for it. That's why I don't think they'll ever charge for it, until perhaps the Model 3 comes out, and I'd even go as far to say at that point, it will be easy to add the car to your own cell phone plan.
Agree not worth teslas trouble, maybe even with the 3. tesla getting their money's worth from logging and telematics. Probably more than we will ever know. They really would not want any car to be without communications, so they have to pay for it anyway!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Agree not worth teslas trouble, maybe even with the 3. tesla getting their money's worth from logging and telematics. Probably more than we will ever know. They really would not want any car to be without communications, so they have to pay for it anyway!

Totally. But I think with Model 3,and the different demographic audience that is, Tesla might be forced to offer a complete "opt-out" option for telemetry and logging. It's fine for MS and MX owners who are generally more affluent and can understand the benefits/trade-offs, but I think a significant percentage of M3 owners will be "privacy nuts" and want the ability to turn it completely off, so they can't be tracked at all, and of course, lose all the benefits like app control, Nav, streaming audio, traffic, and firmware updates only available when the car comes in for service.

Reactions: hybridbear
Totally. But I think with Model 3,and the different demographic audience that is, Tesla might be forced to offer a complete "opt-out" option for telemetry and logging. It's fine for MS and MX owners who are generally more affluent and can understand the benefits/trade-offs, but I think a significant percentage of M3 owners will be "privacy nuts" and want the ability to turn it completely off, so they can't be tracked at all, and of course, lose all the benefits like app control, Nav, streaming audio, traffic, and firmware updates only available when the car comes in for service.
Why do you think a significant percentage of the generally less affluent Model 3 owners will be "privacy nuts"?

Why do you think a significant percentage of the generally less affluent Model 3 owners will be "privacy nuts"?

Two things.

First, the law of big numbers -- more M3 owners than MS and MX owners, you're going to have many more privacy nuts, assuming the rate of privacy nuts to the general population is constant between the two groups.

Second, I think the rate of privacy nuts to the general population for MS/MX owners is much lower than the stereotypical M3 owner. Think about Prius owners (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I think M3 owners would tend to be more privacy aware or privacy concerned than the current crop of MS/MX owners who better understand the trade-offs between less privacy and increased luxury, convenience, and function. Again, this is just a generalization, and not a hard-and-fast rule. It's also just my opinion.

edit: Maybe I mispoke when I said: "significant percentage of M3 owners will be "privacy nuts" -- that's not what I meant, I better explained it above.

Reactions: hybridbear
My mistake, I must have remembered it wrong or gotten bad information.

Do you know why it would switch off when putting the car into drive then?

I think the assumption is that the Wi-Fi is hooked up to a stationary access point and by switching before it loses the signal you have less chance of disruption of the maps and audio.

I hadn't read that you could hook it back up to Wi-Fi after going into Drive, but that seems like a viable workaround.

• Informative
Reactions: Veritas1980