Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expired trade in update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone caught up in the Shanghai delays had an expired trade in quote, particularly if you are p/x'ing another Tesla?

If so, how long are Tesla typically taking to turn these around?

My trade in expired yesterday (the day people started getting VINs) after 60 days and I have re-submitted my mileage, which has only gone up by 400 odd miles.

I'm hoping it doesn't change much, but until I know, it casts uncertainty as to whether I will go ahead with the Y order or not.

My original trade in price was provided 6 days after I submitted the details, so I was hoping for the same or less.

I'm presuming this must be a manual process, as otherwise if automated you would expect an almost instant response.

Would be interested to hear of anyone who has already gone through this?

I waited a couple of weeks after getting the email to try and make sure it would cover my delivery date (this was just before Shanghai shut) and Tesla then didn't give me a new valuation for another three weeks - basically after I got a two week window EDD.

From my point of view the problem was that although I don't normally do big mileage I did do one long trip and now I have around 400 miles left before I'd have to get another offer arranged, but it's still a month before I take delivery.

I think I'll manage to come in just under the limit, but I really wish they'd asked for an updated mileage when they were ready to make the offer.

I had the same experience trading-in our vehicle for MYLR. Our wait time was about 12 weeks and trade-in value expired before we got VINs.

We were ask to re-submit the trade-in again with mew mileage. To our surprise, our final trade-in price was higher than the initial price. Can't complain.

There seems to be a move by Tesla now to only give a quote when you are within 60days of expected delivery date. My offer expired on Saturday. I sent new mileage figures straight away but have heard nothing in 4 days. I am taking that as a bad sign. I have no VIN and today my EDD went from 18-30th June to "July". Which I take to mean they don't really know. If I get matched to a Q2 VIN I am expecting to get the update pretty quickly after if not that means probably August or September in which case I expect not to get an update any time soon.

My offer expired a month ago, so far no updates from Tesla and I no longer have an EDD at all for a new Model 3 LR. I did get the text saying 'June' but there's no VIN hidden, my guess is that there are only fat Y's on the current boat.

My offer expired a month ago, so far no updates from Tesla and I no longer have an EDD at all for a new Model 3 LR. I did get the text saying 'June' but there's no VIN hidden, my guess is that there are only fat Y's on the current boat.

That might be a sign.

In the last week I went from June 16-30 to no EDD over the weekend to June 15-29 for my M3LR. Shortly after that I got an SMS saying my vehicle is on the way and a VIN appeared in the source code.

But, Tesla

Reactions: Rob60
That might be a sign.

In the last week I went from June 16-30 to no EDD over the weekend to June 15-29 for my M3LR. Shortly after that I got an SMS saying my vehicle is on the way and a VIN appeared in the source code.

But, Tesla
I've not had an EDD for a month, so who knows. My order date was Jan 29th so I shouldn't be too far down the queue after you, but as I ordered MSM the queue length might be different. I kinda need the new car as otherwise I'm going to need to replace the rear tyres on the current.

Having had 8 separate EDD ranges since 19/3, I've now gone from:

Prepare for Delivery - EDD June 19 - Jun 30
With all tasks completed

to

You Model Y order - EDD May 2022
Awaiting a new Trade in offer

No VIN in source or car on way message.

From reading other posts, it seems the 'May 2022' is a placeholder (as obviously not a real date) and likely to slip back to Q3 Aug/Sept.

Doesn't seem very promising, and will cause me a problem :(

Having had 8 separate EDD ranges since 19/3, I've now gone from:

Prepare for Delivery - EDD June 19 - Jun 30
With all tasks completed

to

You Model Y order - EDD May 2022
Awaiting a new Trade in offer

No VIN in source or car on way message.

From reading other posts, it seems the 'May 2022' is a placeholder (as obviously not a real date) and likely to slip back to Q3 Aug/Sept.

Doesn't seem very promising, and will cause me a problem :(
I guess you will just have to slum it with the 2019 M3 a bit longer :)

I guess you will just have to slum it with the 2019 M3 a bit longer :)
Yep, but my PCP ends in September which means I need to either trade it in, pay the final payment or hand it back.

Obviously the plan was to trade it if the Y arrives in time, but if not, I'm going to have to get funds to pay it off, which although a first world problem, I could do without!

'May 2022' is a placeholder (as obviously not a real date) and likely to slip back to Q3 Aug/Sept.

There has been at least one other "May 2022" which moved to "Last few days of June" within the last couple of days.

But I doubt that is indicative of May EDD usage, unfortunately.

Basically I think anything could happen ... and it would seem that May is so impossible to achieve at present that it basically means "Unallocated". Although they are also using July for that purpose (as well as giving people "Aug-Sep" which looks like a "Likely to be allocated in Next Quarter" status)

Anyway, best not to give up hope completely ... if that is any consolation.

Just to update this in case it helps others, had my updated trade in offer today, and it is exactly the same as my previous one so have accepted it. I've only done 400 or so miles since the last one.

That's one thing sorted, now jus t the small matter of getting a car allocated to me!

Just to update this in case it helps others, had my updated trade in offer today, and it is exactly the same as my previous one so have accepted it. I've only done 400 or so miles since the last one.

That's one thing sorted, now jus t the small matter of getting a car allocated to me!
What is your EDD please? I take it you have no vin from what you said

I'd prepare yourself for disappointment. There is evidence to suggest trade in prices have dropped precipitously recently, and Tesla are in no way inclined to inflate anyone's specific quote, or "do them a favour", with lead times being what they are, etc.

I'd prepare yourself for disappointment. There is evidence to suggest trade in prices have dropped precipitously recently, and Tesla are in no way inclined to inflate anyone's specific quote, or "do them a favour", with lead times being what they are, etc.
Unfortunately that's what I think will happen. Covid has been a bit of a nightmare with both my Tesla orders, first one was due for collection a few days after UK went into its first lockdown and this one would have been here if it were not for the closure of the Shanghai factory. If the trade in price is now poor then I will just keep my 2020 model although I was looking forward to a newer MIC car, the recent price increase may help a bit and there are other options such as WBAC, Motorway etc that I will look into before cancelling my order.

Reactions: Durzel