Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expiring Free Supercharging Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D2328E67-E618-4F65-A060-006AD3C7A274.jpeg
]
So reading your attachment- yes, I got that from what they said... which is how the website I quoted earlier actually describes it (there's nothing on the website about new referrals extending old miles- so I dunno if people got that idea from the fact Tesla hadn't ever bothered expiring anyones miles or what?)

691321A4-401F-4F20-B551-F75ECEAF0C7C.jpeg

Your post there makes it sound like if you have this:

Jan 15 2020- referral 1- you get 1k miles that will expire July 15, 2020

June 15 2020- referal 2- you get 1k miles that will expire Dec 15 2020
(so far consistent with your attached and the website)

But you seem to be saying (but I'm not seeing that in what you cited)

July 15 2020- BOTH sets of miles expire?

Where are you getting that from?

Idk this is where it sounds confusing to me. It says if all the miles are used before the 6 months than the new ones reset the 6 months. So if you make a new referral and don’t use any do they all disappear if you don’t use any of them?

We purchased our M3 in late December of last year and received 1,000 free supercharging miles that expire 6 months after our vehicle delivery. We had planned to take a couple of road trips and would use the miles at superchargers during the trip. Due to the stay at home mandate, we will not be able to take our trips now and possibly not for months until the Covid-19 outbreak has ended. As we have recently installed solar panels on our home, we really don’t need to supercharge until we are on a trip. How many other Tesla owners have expiring miles? Should we ask Tesla to extend the expiration date for this incentive?

I'm in that same boat. I wrote to Tesla, [email protected], and was denied. I even tried sending a tweet to Elon Musk, but I probably did it wrong and he gets a billion tweets a day. I had no luck. I figure if they can extend battery range and help in other ways during hurricanes, this would be a small thing to do in comparison.

Tesla needs to do this!!

Reactions: davezforce
The timing probably has something to do with this: Confusing User Interface And Poor Communication From Tesla Leaves Driver Stranded On Road Trip

It even sounds like although your account shows that you had remaining miles, they had already expired on the backend and you'd be getting billed directly.

A few days later, Tesla’s explanation came: those miles expired because he didn’t use them quickly enough, and while, yes, they are displayed as available in the Tesla phone app, they can’t actually be used. In fact, he was told, those miles expired in December of last year, and yet the app still showed them as available over three months after they expired.

That said, if I were to run a customer loyalty program which I publicized as 5K miles for a referral (with the 6 month expiry buried in fine print), and the loot box showed only the miles left, not the time left, then I’d not yank the miles away from the customer without notice.

As someone who works on a customer loyalty program, I agree. Granted the program I am involved with is far larger than what Tesla is offering, but we spend a lot of time thinking about how to make rules and restrictions clear. Additionally, they got themselves into this mess by not expiring miles at the six month mark. Even if they had not clearly posted an expiration date, if the miles expired on time (which could be calculated from the referral page), then there would be some consistency for customers to base their expectations on.

What most brands have done is extend miles, points and other benefits that were expiring from March 1 forward given current virus restrictions. I can understand why they didn’t want to do that if they had a large number of customers who would fall into that pool because their failed to expire the miles on time, but again, that’s a problem of their own making.

I’m not disappointed as I got to keep my miles a bit longer than expected, but the execution of this was poor. I say that more as someone who’s involved in customer loyalty rather than any personal dissatisfaction with losing my miles.

Wouldn't it just build better good will to never cancel them OR cap it at like 100k miles? I have a single lonely 1k miles and I used all but 160.

I'm here looking at this thread....

Wouldn't this be a better value for the brand to just leave it be as a thank you for spending $$$$ and referring a new customer?

Why not even take away free super charging as automatic on the S/X.

Incentivize a buyer to seek a referrer as much as a referrer seeks a buyer? They seek out each other to mutually build the brand.

Having a paying customer produce another paying customer really creates more than just the single sale. It creates a community like this one.

Wouldn't it just build better good will to never cancel them OR cap it at like 100k miles? I have a single lonely 1k miles and I used all but 160.

I'm here looking at this thread....

Wouldn't this be a better value for the brand to just leave it be as a thank you for spending $$$$ and referring a new customer?

Why not even take away free super charging as automatic on the S/X.

Incentivize a buyer to seek a referrer as much as a referrer seeks a buyer? They seek out each other to mutually build the brand.

Having a paying customer produce another paying customer really creates more than just the single sale. It creates a community like this one.
Exactly. I referred a sale to Tesla for around 55k and I can’t even keep my 1000 miles till I use them. Which is exactly how much in dollars????!?

Wouldn't it just build better good will to never cancel them.

There are accounting reasons for it... "free" miles are a liability on their books (much like airline points) so leaving them "forever" isn't a great practice.

That said- an exceptional situation like this prompting a one-time extension isn't at all unreasonable (and indeed what those airline and hotel programs are all doing).

Maybe if more of us write to Tesla to ask for an extension, they will get the idea. Anyone have a direct line to Elon Musk?

I don't expect it to accomplish anything, but I emailed the program this morning to ask about Tesla offering a similar extension and would certainly encourage everyone to do so.

Reactions: RedModel3
It will be 6 months tomorrow since I got the car so let's see if 828miles of SC expires...
Appreciate it if you can keep us posted. We may not be doing road trips for awhile. I just recently made a referral that led to another M3 sale so I should be getting an extension once the car is delivered. Still, one would think that an extension during this time of sheltering in place would be reasonable. Even my auto insurance company has reduced our policy to the minimum mileage and the premium has been reduced 41%. Kudos to 21st Century.

Appreciate it if you can keep us posted. We may not be doing road trips for awhile. I just recently made a referral that led to another M3 sale so I should be getting an extension once the car is delivered. Still, one would think that an extension during this time of sheltering in place would be reasonable. Even my auto insurance company has reduced our policy to the minimum mileage and the premium has been reduced 41%. Kudos to 21st Century.

New referrals don't extend the expiration. If you have no banked miles a referral will set a new 6 month expiration.

My parents disappeared last week in the loot box. I looked under their online Tesla account and it said Free supercharging until October 6th, 2021. They had the free 2 year supercharging referral from Q3 2019. Check your online account. Mine still says 682 miles left and should expire June, 7th. We shall see.

I bought my car in September and was told I had 1,000 free miles. I used the SC off and on. I noticed the number wasn't coming down, so I logged into my account and was pleasantly surprised to see that I have 2 free years of supercharging. I know others have said the same thing.