Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expiring Free Supercharging Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great timing, Tesla....
On the one hand, lots of people are staying home and not driving, so almost a moot point...
On the other hand, many people lost jobs recently, and may need to relocate and could use the free miles right about now.
( And, no, not everyone who has a Tesla is independently wealthy and self sufficient... )

This is pretty bold behavior in a litigious society like we live. For the past eight months when people have talked about expiration I've searched my memory for any notification that I may have been given and I'm 100% sure I was not told these had to be used by any certain date.

This is pretty bold behavior in a litigious society like we live. For the past eight months when people have talked about expiration I've searched my memory for any notification that I may have been given and I'm 100% sure I was not told these had to be used by any certain date.

Referral Program

Tesla said:
Free Supercharging miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. If all mileage on an account is used before expiration, the expiration date for the next referral is reset to 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was told 6 months when I bought my car in April of 2019, and I still had about 300 miles left up until I looked last a few weeks ago, oh well, I probably lost out on what, $10 at the most?

I was more surprised they stayed in there as long as they did and it took this long to go away.

Just to jump on the bandwagon, mine are gone too.

so, either Tesla figured out how to remove those miles, or it was a mistake.
They may have finally run some batch program to mass expire all with purchase dates over 6 months or some other program bug that removed them. I have seen them disappear in the past only to be back shortly after, but this one seems like the real deal. Oh well.

Just to jump on the bandwagon, mine are gone too.

so, either Tesla figured out how to remove those miles, or it was a mistake.
They may have finally run some batch program to mass expire all with purchase dates over 6 months or some other program bug that removed them. I have seen them disappear in the past only to be back shortly after, but this one seems like the real deal. Oh well.
I agree. But for me I’m instance, about 4 weeks ago I just referred a new car which should have extended the batch. It indeed show up but then disappear. So I’m wondering what the heck gives?

I noticed this a few days ago too.

May 2019: bought my car during 5x bonus promo (+5k miles)
June 2019: refer a coworker, he picks up his car (+5k miles)
May 2019-March 2020: use ~2200 miles, leaving 7800 miles.
March 2020: refer another coworker, picks up end of quarter (+1k miles)
Two weeks ago: 8800 miles in loot box (1000+7800)
Friday last week: down to only 1,000 miles.

Language used to imply you got a 6mo extension for each referral. I should have 7 months to use all 8800 miles!

I don’t care too much- This is a first world problem for sure. But also a silly move by Tesla, in my personal opinion.

Got a email response. So basically they changed the program and subsequent referrals don’t extend anymore. And it is pretty much better to not refer anyone until you use all of the miles you have first, because if you don’t use them all they will take all of them when they expire and if you deplete them all then the next referral resets the 6 months. Another great move Tesla. No sense in even referring anymore.

Attachments

• 73028710-4B50-40DE-AC9A-78FEB2516AC4.jpeg
    73028710-4B50-40DE-AC9A-78FEB2516AC4.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 61
Mine are gone, as well. To be fair, I always knew they could disappear after 6 months, and Tesla gave me multiple months of leeway after that time before removing them. So I'm not upset.

And while a little warning might have been nice, we all know that had Tesla put our a notice, we'd have seen a bunch of folks descent on Superchargers.

Reactions: TyH2009
Got a email response. So basically they changed the program and subsequent referrals don’t extend anymore.

So reading your attachment- yes, I got that from what they said... which is how the website I quoted earlier actually describes it (there's nothing on the website about new referrals extending old miles- so I dunno if people got that idea from the fact Tesla hadn't ever bothered expiring anyones miles or what?)

And it is pretty much better to not refer anyone until you use all of the miles you have first, because if you don’t use them all they will take all of them when they expire and if you deplete them all then the next referral resets the 6 months. Another great move Tesla. No sense in even referring anymore.[/QUOTE]

Your post there makes it sound like if you have this:

Jan 15 2020- referral 1- you get 1k miles that will expire July 15, 2020

June 15 2020- referal 2- you get 1k miles that will expire Dec 15 2020
(so far consistent with your attached and the website)

But you seem to be saying (but I'm not seeing that in what you cited)

July 15 2020- BOTH sets of miles expire?

Where are you getting that from?

I feel the same way as many of you here - not upset, not feeling entitled to the lost miles, etc.

That said, if I were to run a customer loyalty program which I publicized as 5K miles for a referral (with the 6 month expiry buried in fine print), and the loot box showed only the miles left, not the time left, then I’d not yank the miles away from the customer without notice. Sure, there’s no legal liability because the fine print said 6 months. But that type of service doesn’t reflect well on the company.