Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expiring miles on June 30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never used a minute of my 1000 free miles and mine expire soon as well. I was surprised and a bit pissed that they even expire at all – I always thought it'd be practically limitless, like a gift card. They got to sell another vehicle but then they take away my perk?! Dirty.
Presumably the laws vary by jurisdiction, but where I live, purchased gift cards have no expiration date. Promotional credits granted by a manufacturer or retailer have whatever expiration period the grantor determines.

I’m pretty happy with Tesla about this. My charging credits were to expire in mid-December 2019. Tesla left them in place. Then Tesla extended the period to June 30, 2020.

My “six months” was extended by over 100%. Sure, I haven’t used all of my credits, in fact, I have used less than one-half of them, but that is not due to any failure by Tesla.

Presumably the laws vary by jurisdiction, but where I live, purchased gift cards have no expiration date. Promotional credits granted by a manufacturer or retailer have whatever expiration period the grantor determines.

I’m pretty happy with Tesla about this. My charging credits were to expire in mid-December 2019. Tesla left them in place. Then Tesla extended the period to June 30, 2020.

My “six months” was extended by over 100%. Sure, I haven’t used all of my credits, in fact, I have used less than one-half of them, but that is not due to any failure by Tesla.

How did you know your miles were about to expire in Dec 2019? I had no idea reward miles expired at all.
Its lawful to have them expire, but the notice in mid April that they would expire in May to be extended to June is wrong during a pandemic.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
How did you know your miles were about to expire in Dec 2019? I had no idea reward miles expired at all.
Its lawful to have them expire, but the notice in mid April that they would expire in May to be extended to June is wrong during a pandemic.

We’ve been Tesla owners since early 2017. Every round of referral awards I’ve seen on Tesla’s site has mentioned in the text of award details be it for SC miles or prize awards an expiration date or it said ends with the next new one. I’ve seen my available SC miles and date in my Model 3 supercharging account billing details in the past. When the lootbox came out it was shown there also but just the unexpired total (so you had some idea on your app of what you had left). And then I think based on feedback from owners they started also adding the expiration date to be visible there too.

People have been using their cars during the pandemic albeit not anywhere like before unless you were among the many essential workers who were still out there driving. Many people even with SIP were going out for food and essentials. Mine were set to expire in June and got extended a month. The extended time policy was announced in the press and then the accounts were updated to reflect the extension a little while ago. While I would have maybe enjoyed a longer extension period I still appreciated the extra month. Had hoped to use the miles for a fun summer road trip but that doesn’t look like it will happen where I’m at, so instead of regularly charging at home I’ve been charging at the SC, which if nothing else does save us some money from our electricity bill not being billed.

Last edited:
When I got my charging credits in June 2019 it was clearly stated that they would expire in six month.

• Free Supercharging miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. If all mileage on an account is used before expiration, the expiration date for the next referral is reset to 6 months.

• Love
Reactions: Gasaraki and SigNC
I wasn't super excited to find out they expire...I must have missed it in a fine print somewhere, but it is what it is.

What I'm a bit annoyed with is, I went today to supercharge since my 1850+ miles expire today. I charged from almost empty to 90% and got a notice that I'm getting charged $16. It's not a huge amount, but again, it's the principle...how are you going to first, take away my miles I earned by referring multiple people over the years, and then on top of that, before it expires, charge me for the free miles you gave me. lol

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Yup - a bit sad. Maybe they figured this would help their end of quarter numbers.

It puzzles me that they would haggle you over $15 when the whole reason you have free supercharge miles is because you referred buyers. I know it's not a lot compared to others, but I have referred 4 others and got them to buy using my link over the past 4.5 years, and I have owned 3 Teslas. But yet, you're going to haggle over $15 on a 'technicality' over midnight prior day vs end of day??

Reactions: Cobalt3 and GSP

Laws on gift cards definitely vary. Almost every gift card I have ever purchased or received had an expiration date.

It puzzles me that they would haggle you over $15 when the whole reason you have free supercharge miles is because you referred buyers. I know it's not a lot compared to others, but I have referred 4 others and got them to buy using my link over the past 4.5 years, and I have owned 3 Teslas. But yet, you're going to haggle over $15 on a 'technicality' over midnight prior day vs end of day??
The point is, if it says expiring 6/30, it's reasonable to assume they expire at 11:59 not 00:01 on the 30th. That's the point, not the $15!

That sucks if that is the case. Mine expire tomorrow and we are taking our first road trip in the car tomorrow. So if they disappear tonight at midnight, that means I will be paying for the whole to and not just the trip back..
We will see what happens.o_O