Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Explain "Chill" Mode please.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from my first test drive of a model 3. The only car available was a performance version so I asked the Sales Associate to throttle back the car to feel like a Model 3 AWD which is what I ordered (over two years now). She said if she put it in "Chill" mode that would be like a Model 3 AWD car. Man I hope not! It was really sluggish. I think my Jeep could have taken it on in acceleration. In normal P3D mode the acceleration was incredible just like the Model S versions I have test drove. Can anyone explain "Chill" mode? Please tell me the Model 3 AWD I am waiting for will not be as sluggish as a P3D in "Chill" mode.

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
Considering the M3 LRD goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and my STI (which any car guy/racer would appreciate) does it in 4.7 seconds, it's a very fast car. I can make Porsches and other sports cars look silly, and I seat 5 people. Chill mode probably numbs the throttle response and makes the car less responsive.

Unless someone owns a very expensive sports car, no LR Model 3 should leave them feeling like it's "sluggish" in normal mode, that's for sure!

... my STI does it in 4.7...

I'm a little surprised the '18 STI doesn't do it in less than 4.7. My '04 was about 4.6, and I feel like my fiance's '17 WRX is faster than my STI when it was stock. Obviously now the '04 is highly modified and running in stupid mode, but still only gets to what some of these people are posting for the LR AWD Model 3.

It is not possible to “throttle back” the P to function like the AWD.

The P3 does 0-60 in 3.3-3.5s.
The AWD does 0-60 in 4.5-4.7s.
The RWD does 0-60 in 5.1s.
“Chill mode” does 0-60 in 7.6s.

The P3 is much faster from 0-35. The RWD and AWD are similar from 0-35.

From 35-60, the AWD and P3 are very similar (faster than the RWD).

After 0-80, the P3, AWD, and RWD have similar acceleration.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised the '18 STI doesn't do it in less than 4.7. My '04 was about 4.6, and I feel like my fiance's '17 WRX is faster than my STI when it was stock. Obviously now the '04 is highly modified and running in stupid mode, but still only gets to what some of these people are posting for the LR AWD Model 3.

The STI has always been a slightly sub 5 second car. The WRX is now just as fast, but only in a straight line. I had an '05 WRX with VF34 that had 276 whp and could run 12.8s. The stock WRX does that now.

The P3 is much faster from 0-35. The RWD and AWD are similar from 0-35.

From 35-60, the AWD and P3 are very similar (faster than the RWD).

After 0-80, the P3, AWD, and RWD have similar acceleration.
Thanks KenF that is exactly the information I was after...

I just returned from my first test drive of a model 3. The only car available was a performance version so I asked the Sales Associate to throttle back the car to feel like a Model 3 AWD which is what I ordered (over two years now). She said if she put it in "Chill" mode that would be like a Model 3 AWD car. Man I hope not! It was really sluggish. I think my Jeep could have taken it on in acceleration. In normal P3D mode the acceleration was incredible just like the Model S versions I have test drove. Can anyone explain "Chill" mode? Please tell me the Model 3 AWD I am waiting for will not be as sluggish as a P3D in "Chill" mode.

Your salesperson bullshit filter isn't working properly.

That was just an attempt to upsell you to the P3D.

My understanding is that Chill mode mainly reduces jerk. It applies an increase in power gradually.
Useful for people who don't like the sudden acceleration.
Also useful for people not used to rapid acceleration: could help reduce unintended acceleration crashes, and some collisions with red-light runners.

I hated "chill mode" when it first came out. It reminded me of my bmw 3series during acceleration and quickly turned it off.
In my mind, I had a thought that people like my parents might like it, if the normal Tesla acceleration instant-torque bothers them.

From my experience with my S, Chill is MUCH slower than any Tesla in a standard mode. Intentionally so- but for her to say that is not a good way to demonstrate the car. When they demonstrate S and X they can put the P cars in a simulation mode to simulate the other drivetrain capabilities accurately. I’m sure they will add that capability to 3 test drives as well in the near future.

I’m pickin up my dual non-P 3 on Thursday......:)

Chill mode does NOT simulate an AWD car's performance. If the demo car is anything like the Model S, there is a special mode that lets the car simulate lesser performant versions. The P100D loaner I had had a menu that listed literally every permutation of Model S all the way down to the old 60. You could select any version to experience it's specific performance.

With all of that said, Chill is not a simulation of any specific model, it's just an arbitrary reduction in acceleration.

Reactions: wesley888
Chill mode does NOT simulate an AWD car's performance. If the demo car is anything like the Model S, there is a special mode that lets the car simulate lesser performant versions. The P100D loaner I had had a menu that listed literally every permutation of Model S all the way down to the old 60. You could select any version to experience it's specific performance.

With all of that said, Chill is not a simulation of any specific model, it's just an arbitrary reduction in acceleration.
Like he said.

I've yet to see any P3 beat 3.5 unless they're including rollout... (and if you are then the AWD would likely beat 4.5, and the RWD beats 5.1)

The RWD and AWD are similar from 0-35.

That does not reflect what the folks who've driven both have said on here.

The AWD removes the sluggish 0-20 the RWD seems to have been reported as having in comparison. Not as MUCH as the P does- but noticeably and significantly quicker than the RWD from launch.

Chill mode does NOT simulate an AWD car's performance. If the demo car is anything like the Model S, there is a special mode that lets the car simulate lesser performant versions. The P100D loaner I had had a menu that listed literally every permutation of Model S all the way down to the old 60. You could select any version to experience it's specific performance..

The 3 does not have that particular easter egg right now

Reactions: spesler
I've yet to see any P3 beat 3.5 unless they're including rollout... (and if you are then the AWD would likely beat 4.5, and the RWD beats 5.1)

That does not reflect what the folks who've driven both have said on here.

The AWD removes the sluggish 0-20 the RWD seems to have been reported as having in comparison. Not as MUCH as the P does- but noticeably and significantly quicker than the RWD from launch.
I have now driven both (not back to back) and TO ME the AWD and RWD felt similar off the line. Neither provided the head-to-the-seat punch of the P3 when slamming the accelerator. The best 0-60 we could do in the AWD (aero) was 4.7 vs 5.1 for the RWD. Admittedly, this was not a scientific test; we just used an iPhone to time a few launches from stoplights on to I66.

Edit: I would not characterize any Tesla as “sluggish” off the line. For now, I feel good about my decision to stick with the AWD because I think the 0-30 acceleration is more comfortable (and safer) for city driving, especially for others who aren’t accustomed to the car. I may feel differently if Tesla adds the ability to tweak the acceleration on the P3D, but, as it stands now, the only options are full acceleration and chill mode.

Edit #2: That gets me thinking — it would be awesome if the Model 3 had the option to adjust the car’s performance/acceleration curve based on the speed limit.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Blu Angel