TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Explain this tire wear, please.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by David99, Jan 8, 2020.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

This is a photo of my rear right tired looking from the back.

20200108_210814.jpg

The left edge is completely worn and you can see the fibers. Oddly enough the left treat still has a good amount left. The center is almost bald and the right side (outside) again has some left.

I can't wrap my brain around how this can even happen. This tire was always on the rear right (no tire rotation). How does that even happen? I did make sure that the tire pressure was exactly at 45 psi which is the official pressure for my car (Model S).

If anyone has an explanation, please share!

2. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Active Member

I can’t entirely answer your question but um. Why didn’t you rotate your tyres? It’s not enough to just keep the correct tire pressure. They should be rotated regularly.

id also take a stab that you need an alignment

3. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#3 Xenoilphobe, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Negative camber and over inflation.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. David99

David99 Active Member

Camber angle isn't adjustable on Model S and tires pressure was always at the recommended level.

I also had an alignment done (by Tesla) shortly after these tires were put on.

I'm well aware of the negative camber causing inside of the tires getting worn out more. This is my 6th or 7th set of tires, I see it every time. What's so odd this time is that the inside of the tire shows less wear yet the edge, that isn't even touching the road, has so much wear that inner fabric shows. How does that even happen?

I'm thinking these tires had some issues. I got them used from a dealer.

6. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Vendor

there was a kit, I was just about to order, but they are revising. I'm surprised you didn't see it sooner. However it affects air suspension cars much more.

Used tires can have weird issues, probably over inflated at one point. I had a tire damaged by tow truck, it developed a flat spot, and that area grew and wore through while still some tread on all other parts of the tire.

• Like x 1
  7. David99

David99 Active Member

The other thing that confuses me is the inner wear. I kept the tires at exactly 45 the entire time. Now maybe that might be too much. Let's assume that's too much. Wouldn't the tires show the bulging in center? It actually shows the opposite. The center is less high than the sides.

So my next guess is maybe when driving fast the center is sort of pulled out due to the fast rotation of the tire?

8. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Vendor

Inner is really common on air suspensions, do you know if they came from a Tesla?

9. David99

David99 Active Member

I just had new tires put on. I was able to get a better look at the tires. The non adjustable negotiate camber on the rear is definitely a major cause. It's so annoying that Tesla made it non adjustable. I also have slight torque steering (car steers to one side under hard acceleration) so I made an appointment with Tesla to have that looked at.

10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Call these guys and get adjustable camber links.
    upload_2020-1-9_18-58-40.jpeg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

If anybody is looking to fix their camber problem, I have a brand new set of 43.5mm adjustable bushings for sale.
    I bought them from EVTuning for $375. I'll sell them for the same price and include free shipping.

• Like x 1
  12. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

Traditionally this means there are stresses in the belts that pull on the tread surface and create uneven wear (Pirelli tires were famous for this). There is usually no fix other than to use different tires or rotate frequently and hope that the change of locations encourages even wear (no bets on this). If it's just on one tire, you might be able to get an adjustment.

• Like x 1
  13. captain_sahaj

captain_sahaj Member

On YouTube search up what’s inside, “why we got rid our tesla”. I think he has the same problem as you