TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC
  1. Hi All,

When you think of car wax, you may think of that old tin your father had in the garage and used once a year on a Saturday. Times have changed, and there has been major evolution in paint protection. With science lending to the creation of these products, carnauba wax is obsolete. Q Car Care uses Optimum’s Opti Coat Pro, Gloss Coat, and XPEL. Each has different qualities, and we can make recommendations based on your vehicle and needs.

These coatings do different things. OptiCoat Pro protects your car from the environment, such as acid raid, bird poop, water etching, sap and more. XPEL is a thick yet invisible clear film that protects against rock chips, which are a very big issue in Massachusetts, causing cars to look dated far earlier. These coatings simply keep your car looking newer, longer. With a 5 year warranty on Opti Coat Pro, and a 10 year warranty on XPEL Ultimate, these products are built to last.

Opti Coat is a permanent ceramic clear coating that has a higher scratch resistance than OEM clear coat. It also is totally hydrophobic, will retain dirt 90% less, and protect the paint from harmful elements. Not to mention the gloss! Our favorite feature of Opti Coat is the way a car looks like it was just detailed after every wash. Gloss Coat is Opti Coat Pro’s little brother. It has the same gloss properties of Opti Coat Pro, but provides 2-3 years of protection. This is great for lease vehicles or a car you do not plan on keeping longer than that. Opti Coat Pro Plus is a combination of the two, and has an even higher level of protection and gloss. It can also be applied on the wheels to be more resistant to brake dust. Opti Guard interior coatings are available for leather and fabric. These coatings simply make your interior spill and stain proof, ask us for a demonstration. Maintenance is simple for the exterior. Use Optimum’s Rinse Wash whenever your car needs a bath.

XPEL protects your car and keeps it looking like new for as long as you own it. In New England especially, there is a major problem with chipping and “road rash”, which causes the front and sides of the vehicle to become chipped and dull. XPEL prevents this from happening, and never again will you be worried when you’re behind that dump truck. It stops chipping from stones, sand, gravel, road salt and more. The film is also self healing and will repair itself from minor scratching and swirling.
    Please post any and all questions you may have! Private message us to get your car in.

This P85 had OptiCoat Pro installed, the owner then did not wash the car for almost 3 months! After a basic wash, gloss was restored to the day the coating was applied.

View attachment 84161

After application of Opti-Coat Pro+, look at the gloss.
    View attachment 84162

This ENTIRE roadster was wrapped in XPEL then Opti-Coated to preserve the finish and avoid scratching
    View attachment 84163

• Informative x 1
  2. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

It's been asked before and I'll ask again here: do you Opticoat over the Xpel?

3. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

Good explanation. We have an X on order and we are considering XPEL as we have had a lot of chips from highway travelling. The Opticoat looks great but not sure we can afford it.

Can you give us an approximate cost for each?

Thanks.

4. Pete,

The OptiCoat is applied on top of the XPEL. It has the same benefits on the XPEL that it does on paint.

A common misconception is that OptiCoat goes on first, however this is incorrect. The XPEL would not adhere properly as OptiCoat creates a non-stick type surface. So XPEL first, then OptiCoat on top!

5. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

6. Pollux

Pollux Member

Hmmm. I OptiCoated my entire car first, then Xpel'd the entire car. No problems with Xpel adhering to the OptiCoated metal.

In theory, OptiCoat bonds nicely with the paint. That's why many people just put on OptiCoat and stop there.

The Xpel, on the other hand, has bailed me out 4 or 5 times now -- saving me from scratches, dings and the like. Based on the early experience I had with a rear body panel that got scratched and cost me $1700 to repair (Hollis Auto Body, at the time the only Tesla-approved body shop around here), I am at the point that I have more than broken even on my Xpel cost. In other words, my repair costs would've been more than I have spent on Xpel. And the Xpel is still working for me.

I'm pretty darned happy with Xpel. A little harder for me to speak to the OptiCoat, but the body looks great through the layers of OptiCoat and Xpel so hopefully the OptiCoat is working for me, too. (And I did do all the Opti-extras with the glass and chrome and whatnot.)

Um.... Can't speak to QCarCare, as I didn't use them. But I sure can vouch for this one customer's good experiences with OptiCoat and Xpel!

Alan

P.S. I Xpel'd the *whole* car. I started off with just the front and sides, so of course I then scratched up the rear body panel (as I mentioned above). So I finished Xpel'ing the whole car. I'm really glad that I did. Even though the front and sides should be the most vulnerable parts of the car, it turns out that with all the objects that can get kicked up from the road, and the careless things that I do and that other people do, I have found that I take hits all around the car. Maybe it's just a comment on my poor driving. :-(

7. You couldnt be more correct about the XPEL! I just had a customer with a new Matte White S63 AMG Coupe, and it was "scraped" in a parking lot. Not only did the XPEL take all the hit, but color matching that paint is nearly impossible. He saved himself thousands AND a huge headache. We were able to just replace the film on that panel, and it looks good as new.

In regards to the order of installation, though, you may want to speak to your installer about that...

From the XPEL Website: XPEL Technologies Corp.: Frequently Asked Questions

"Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?"
    We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product.

To elaborate, ff you are covering coated paint with XPEL, you are losing the benefits of OptiCoat. XPEL is susceptible to chemical damages from bird droppings, chemical stains, and rust stains just like normal paint, hence the need for OptiCoat to be on top. XPEL does not have the gloss, chemical resistance, dirt repellency, or release properties that OptiCoat does. In addition, XPEL is a porous material. By covering the car with XPEL, you are losing all the benefits of OptiCoat being on there at all, and run the risk of poor adhesion down the road.

8. Pollux

Pollux Member

@Ben,

Thanks for the pointer to the Xpel FAQ! When I did this stuff two years ago, I asked a bunch of questions on this forum and received no clear-cut solution on which product to apply in which order. Nor did I stumble upon the Xpel FAQ.

Next time, I might well do as the Xpel FAQ says. Although with a sample size of 1 -- my car -- I'd say that things have worked out just fine with OptiCoat layered onto the paint and Xpel layered on top of that. I'm not having any adhesion problems that I'm aware of.

Thank you for following up!

Alan

9. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

Thanks! We will give it consideration when we get our Model X. Hopefully we will keep the X a long time.

10. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

Is OptiCoat pro, gloss coat, or CQuartz something that I can apply myself?

11. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Don't think you can get OptiPro as it is only sold to pros but Cquartz and a bunch of other sealants (that all promise the same as the latter) are available at Detailed Image.
    If you are into spending hours prepping and cleaning your car then this is the place to go
    I get all my car care stuff from them they have a cool blog on the site from the pros on "how to" I have learned a ton of tips and tricks from them.

As a side note a few things I have learned in keeping my P85 looking like new invest in a good buffer not from Walmart or AutoZone but something like one of these

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/Polishing/#buffer

I use 7424XP and it cuts the polishing down to 1/3 of the time I would spend hand polishing and leaves a showroom shine

The car gets a foam bath every week using a foaming gun and snow foam wash
    I Cquartz my car about a year ago but still use "Klasse all in one" every month or so.

If you want your leather looking like new try Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil, the process takes time and effort but well worth the result no cheap looking sheen you get from an over the counter cleaner.

12. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

Thanks, Brithonuk!