Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Explanation for the windshield double vision?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been a good explanation for some of those who experience double vision in the X's windshield?!?! I luckily do not have this problem in mine. But I have noticed it somewhere else.

The LED screen on my rear view mirror dash cam! I have an after market dash cam that displays the video on an LED screen within the rear view mirror (similar to the one posted, hope it shows up properly). When the screen is off, I notice the lights reflected in the section of mirror that houses the LED screen has a double glare. The sections of the rear mirror that are not part of the LED screen are normal and unaffected!

So the speculation... those Xs that have the double vision are windshields with built in LED or projector screen of some sort that are compatible with some update that will bring Heads Up Display (HUD)!! Lol.

You heard it here first!!!
(PS if this has been discussed previously, mods please consolidate)
(PSS y'all know I'm kidding right?!?! Not really but I am)
(PSSS But not really)

Attachments

• IMG_6867.PNG
    IMG_6867.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 336
Reactions: HerrJones
The cause for the double vision or "ghosting" as its also called, it due to most likely 2 things. One, the curvature of the windshield and how the driver/passenger view through the windshield. If taller or shorter person, they will look through different portions of the glass which could have more curvature or less. Second, which in combination with the curvature is likely the main culprit and that is the coatings/films on the windshield. Windshields are not just single pane glass, they are a sandwich composed of one or possibly few layers of film or coating. This is mostly a regulation for safety (hence safety glass), but can be for chip protection or UV reduction. So, any light has to travel through different layers and depending on tolerances and thickness variations, could cause distortion and hence the double vision.

I don't believe anyone has confirmed what is the root cause, films or the glass, or just a design flaw. The phenomenon is not specific to the X though, it is probably more common than you think.

Reactions: JeffK
Has there been a good explanation for some of those who experience double vision in the X's windshield?!?! I luckily do not have this problem in mine. But I have noticed it somewhere else.

The LED screen on my rear view mirror dash cam! I have an after market dash cam that displays the video on an LED screen within the rear view mirror (similar to the one posted, hope it shows up properly). When the screen is off, I notice the lights reflected in the section of mirror that houses the LED screen has a double glare. The sections of the rear mirror that are not part of the LED screen are normal and unaffected!

So the speculation... those Xs that have the double vision are windshields with built in LED or projector screen of some sort that are compatible with some update that will bring Heads Up Display (HUD)!! Lol.

You heard it here first!!!
(PS if this has been discussed previously, mods please consolidate)
(PSS y'all know I'm kidding right?!?! Not really but I am)
(PSSS But not really)

Are you saying you saw it in one car and didn't see it another (yours) ? Can you confirm this ? Because it would be the first time I hear someone say that.

Any time you have glass that isn't at 90 degrees, you have a chance of ghosting (caused by the light reflecting off of the internal surfaces and back.) Coatings or changes in material/density increase this risk.

The X windshield is more angled than most, and more complicated with whatever the heat treatment is that turns orange when it's wet in addition to the polymer layer any windshield has to have.

I don't know how possible it'll be to fix, but I hope Tesla figures it out. On sunny days I wear polarized glasses so I don't see it at all then, but I definitely see it the rest of the time.

Are you saying you saw it in one car and didn't see it another (yours) ? Can you confirm this ? Because it would be the first time I hear someone say that.

There is another thread that a person says that his car has it and his son and a neighbor does not have the problem. I don't know if I'm supposed to post a link here to it but it is labeled as :

Post # 592 by Powered

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

Not yet but lemme go look this weekend. My brother claims that it happens in his X and he's just as tall (or as short) as me so I'll see if I can't see it. We have identical configurations except for rims and seat colors. VINs very close. (If that matters)

I was down at my local service center for a minor fix today, and had time to chat with the service manager there (long time Tesla employee, very experienced (both in the SF Bay Area and also in the EU, very friendly and helpful). We discussed some customer complaints (some posted here in other threads), among other issues, and specifically talked about the Model X windshield issue. He specifically noted to me that the model X windshield ghosting issue is well known at various levels inside Tesla. He says that there is currently no fix/new windshield, and that when they figure out the answer, all affected customers will be addressed. He noted that the service managers actually have a ‘script’ from corporate to basically read to the customer. He acknowledges that this is suboptimal, and that some customers have been less than happy when told that this issue cannot be corrected immediately. Not fun for him, not fun for those affected. Don’t shoot the messenger.

• Informative
Reactions: masam
It's the angle of the glass. Looking at the windsheild from outside, I noticed a few stacked areas there were flat, rather than a continuous curve. I also noticed the double vision/ghosting immediately as I started driving. It is espeically noticeable at night, there are two sets of taillights on every car! It puts a strain on my eyes.

Other than that, the X is so impressively tech filled that it's actually complicated! Big learning curve involved with the auto doors :D

I can't tell if I've got triple or quadruple ghosting ;)

First time multifocal wearer and I must look like some kind of rubber necked dash doll as I try to get my line of sight aligned to the right spot of my new glasses, however, the binnacle is amazingly clear.

I don't mind being almost 50 I just wish my one good eye could keep up with my desire to not need glasses.