Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Exploded/Melted Adapter?!

I recently picked up a M3LR last Wednesday and ran into a peculiar issue.

Currently, I have to utilize a combination of level 2 chargers provided by 3rd party companies until my condo parking spot gets a wall charger installed (taking a while cause it’s considered a commercial permit here in northern Virginia :( ). Anyway, I was charging at a Volta one this weekend for 1.5 hours. I had no issues with the charging session and since the cars new I was checking the amperage every 10 minutes and didn’t go above 30.

I was going to charge a bit while I grocery shopped yesterday at a different Volta and my adapter was not fitting in. I took a look and one of the 5 holes on the side that connects to 3rd party chargers had expanded. About 66% of it now expanded plastic. Not sure if anyone had any experience with this and on how to possibly to get a new one from Volta or Tesla without having to pay $100+ for one. Pictures below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 31

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
I recently picked up a M3LR last Wednesday and ran into a peculiar issue.

Currently, I have to utilize a combination of level 2 chargers provided by 3rd party companies until my condo parking spot gets a wall charger installed (taking a while cause it’s considered a commercial permit here in northern Virginia :( ). Anyway, I was charging at a Volta one this weekend for 1.5 hours. I had no issues with the charging session and since the cars new I was checking the amperage every 10 minutes and didn’t go above 30.

I was going to charge a bit while I grocery shopped yesterday at a different Volta and my adapter was not fitting in. I took a look and one of the 5 holes on the side that connects to 3rd party chargers had expanded. About 66% of it now expanded plastic. Not sure if anyone had any experience with this and on how to possibly to get a new one from Volta or Tesla without having to pay $100+ for one. Pictures below

$95 and in stock at Tesla. Free shipping. SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Your current adapter is trash, by the way. That happens sometimes due to a bad connection on one of the pins creating a localized hotspot that melts the plastic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC