Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exploded/Melted Adapter?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up a M3LR last Wednesday and ran into a peculiar issue.

Currently, I have to utilize a combination of level 2 chargers provided by 3rd party companies until my condo parking spot gets a wall charger installed (taking a while cause it’s considered a commercial permit here in northern Virginia :( ). Anyway, I was charging at a Volta one this weekend for 1.5 hours. I had no issues with the charging session and since the cars new I was checking the amperage every 10 minutes and didn’t go above 30.

I was going to charge a bit while I grocery shopped yesterday at a different Volta and my adapter was not fitting in. I took a look and one of the 5 holes on the side that connects to 3rd party chargers had expanded. About 66% of it now expanded plastic. Not sure if anyone had any experience with this and on how to possibly to get a new one from Volta or Tesla without having to pay $100+ for one. Pictures below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 68
I recently picked up a M3LR last Wednesday and ran into a peculiar issue.

Currently, I have to utilize a combination of level 2 chargers provided by 3rd party companies until my condo parking spot gets a wall charger installed (taking a while cause it’s considered a commercial permit here in northern Virginia :( ). Anyway, I was charging at a Volta one this weekend for 1.5 hours. I had no issues with the charging session and since the cars new I was checking the amperage every 10 minutes and didn’t go above 30.

I was going to charge a bit while I grocery shopped yesterday at a different Volta and my adapter was not fitting in. I took a look and one of the 5 holes on the side that connects to 3rd party chargers had expanded. About 66% of it now expanded plastic. Not sure if anyone had any experience with this and on how to possibly to get a new one from Volta or Tesla without having to pay $100+ for one. Pictures below

$95 and in stock at Tesla. Free shipping. SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Your current adapter is trash, by the way. That happens sometimes due to a bad connection on one of the pins creating a localized hotspot that melts the plastic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H