Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exploring EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am looking at jumping into the EV world next year, so I am starting on my research quest. I thought I would maybe had my eye on Ford's Mach E, but based on last night's website leak I am not sure if its enough to sway me away from Tesla. The other option on my radar is the Model Y, of course.

I know this may seem like a very general/lazy question, but what are some things that someone should know before they jump into the EV realm? What about some things that are Tesla specific? Are people generally pretty happy with their purchases? Has anyone ever leased from Tesla? I don't normally lease, but thought might be an interesting option with a little less risk.

Also, I noticed that you Tesla's website shows cars available at dealerships for less than what the MSRP is when you build your own. Is this typical? I don't often see cars advertised for significantly less than MSRP on a dealer's website. I believe I saw a Model 3 for close to $5k off MSRP (or this just closing out for end of year?).

Any thoughts for a newbie would be appreciated!

Welcome to the Tesla Motors Club (TMC)! Enjoy your stay...

I know this may seem like a very general/lazy question, but what are some things that someone should know before they jump into the EV realm? What about some things that are Tesla specific? Are people generally pretty happy with their purchases? Has anyone ever leased from Tesla? I don't normally lease, but thought might be an interesting option with a little less risk.

Going EV has many benefits and limitations. Be sure to understand them before purchasing. As much as we would encourage everyone getting and EV, depending on your personal circumstance, an EV may not work out for you. Consumer Reports has a a useful section on EVs and an EV checklist. Tesla has an advantage over regular EVs with the Supercharging infrastructure, performance, technology, and user experience. The disadvantage is higher than average insurance and repair cost.

With that said, we have a Tesla Model 3 LR-RWD and Toyota Prius PHEV (3rd Generation Prius). The Model 3 is (by far) the most used car we have. Despite some hiccups, we are happy with our purchase. Having an EV and PHEV eliminates any range anxiety for our household. Having a Tesla is fun with new features rolling out constantly.

Once it is time, the PHEV may be replaced with the Model Y or Tesla Cybertruck (cybrtrk). We have Tesla Powerwalls and solar and it is convenience to access everything in one app.

Also, I noticed that you Tesla's website shows cars available at dealerships for less than what the MSRP is when you build your own. Is this typical? I don't often see cars advertised for significantly less than MSRP on a dealer's website. I believe I saw a Model 3 for close to $5k off MSRP (or this just closing out for end of year?).

The Tesla website (not TMC) advertises the effective price of a car including cost savings from federal and state incentives and fuel cost of an equivalent internal combustion engine (ICE) car. GM and Tesla are wining down on the $7,500 tax credit. Other manufactures do qualify.

Capture.JPG

I know this may seem like a very general/lazy question,
but what are some things that someone should know before they jump into the EV realm?
What about some things that are Tesla specific?
Are people generally pretty happy with their purchases?
Has anyone ever leased from Tesla?
I don't normally lease, but thought might be an interesting option with a little less risk.
Hi Welcome!

Well, a lot of various questions, and interesting topics to cover. So it might be simple to cover only one subject at a time.

I think to really enjoy getting an Electric Vehicule is to be able to charge at home or work,
unless you are travelling out of twown, so basically your car is already charged when you use it,
like when you put your phone on a charger when you come back home at the end of the day.

If it's the case and if you don't drive on a daily basis more than the range of the car, this is the ideal case.

May be you can describe your charging situation, as you might need to install a plug.
It is simple if you live in a detached home than in an apartment or a condo.
If you park in the street at night, there are various options, depending of you daily and weekly driving usage.

So charging at home is one of the great advantages of owning an EV,
especially if you can get a cheaper rate at night using ToU (Time of Use) rate,

Also when looking at the price of an EV, considere what you will pay for electricity for the next 3 or 5 years,
compare to the cost of gas when comparing with an ICE (Internal Conbustion Intern) car.

Note: I have a 2018/10 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. (EAP FSD)

At that time last year, there was not too much other choices of EVs, with 300 miles range, liquid cooled battery,
Supercharger network, and features like Auto Pilot or Advanced Cruise Control.

There are now some new announced EVs for the coming years,
let see if they will get mass produced and available, not like the Kona which is very limited right now,
and what will be the real battery range, see for example the Audi e-Tron and Jaguar i-Pace range issues.

As much as the Tesla Model 3 was targetted toward the BMW Series 3 and the Audi A4,
It seems that the Ford Mustang Mach-e is targetting the Tesla Model Y.

On the paper, the Ford Mustang specifications seem promising, but since it's Ford first EV,
it might get sometime to catch up with Tesla. But competition is good for customers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers everyone! I think I am in ideal situation for an EV. I live in a detached home with a garage, and plan on having a 240 volt outlet installed to get level 2 charging. I can also get ToU rate on electricity in my area, too. Not having to fill up the tank is one of the things I am most looking forward to about getting an EV. I live in the south. Whenever a hurricane is in the gulf, lines at gas stations form. Plus, it will be nice not having to stop after a long day at work. Just go home and plug in.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Just get the EV. Mach E looks nice but will lack Tesla's road trip convenience for a while. Soon you will hate driving the jerky, noisy, smelly, high maintenance, unresponsive dino burners you used to think were cool. And what's with having to go somewhere else to 'fuel up' - home is just so much easier. Oh and get a bunch of solar panels if you can while you are at it for free fuel!