Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

exponential vs polynomial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's every language, since the advent of speech. That's how we have the variety we do, and yes, that's how languages get destroyed and new ones arise.

Linguistics 001 -- Language Change and Historical Reconstruction
I think this comes down to intent.

New idea ? New word, or an old word is borrowed or adopted.
In this case the words already exist to express the idea precisely and accurately, and the words used already mean something else that continues to have utility. So this is just laziness, error or ignorance -- all best resolved elsewhere.

I think this comes down to intent.

New idea ? New word, or an old word is borrowed or adopted.
In this case the words already exist to express the idea precisely and accurately, and the words used already mean something else that continues to have utility. So this is just laziness, error or ignorance -- all best resolved elsewhere.

While I don't disagree with anything you said, language is one of those areas where the majority rules.

Look at the evolution of Fraulein in German. Before WW2, it's a perfectly respectable word for an unmarried woman, in common use - and still used that way today in some language training.

But due to the occupation and the common usage acquired seventy years ago, using it on a German woman today will most likely get you slapped.

Well, as the guy who used the term "exponential" I admit to:

1) Preferring precision in language use

2) Being a lazy b@stard and using popular vernacular to make the point.

So, I suspect in the context of the point I was making (that linear speed increase would not equate to liner power requirement increase for aero considerations), everybody here knew what was being meant.

But, for my pedantic brethren, I continue to accept it could have been worded more precisely. Although in an ironic twist, I expect less people would have understood what was meant if the term "quadratically" had been used instead.

I believe you mean fewer ;) Less Versus Fewer
1lqpth.jpg

It's every language, since the advent of speech. That's how we have the variety we do, and yes, that's how languages get destroyed and new ones arise.

Linguistics 001 -- Language Change and Historical Reconstruction

That is so true, Ohmman. Did you know that kitchen workers used to wear a napron instead of an apron?

In language we generally have two camps: People who feel language is descriptive and people who feel that language is prescriptive. Woe to anyone who splits an infinitive or starts a sentence with a dangling modifier.

I find it ironic that many people find fault with terms used casually as in the above discussion, yet many exhibit poor punctuation and grammar skills. So, on the one hand some folks are sticklers for technical accuracy, but on the other hand are accepting of solecisms.

Common usage.

We use the term exponential growth in English to indicate that the rate of growth is increasing. To what degree? x²? xⁿ? xⁿ^ⁿ? It doesn't matter in that usage. It's undefined. The rate of growth increases.

Look it up if you're curious. If you think all words are mostly used by their scientific definitions, stop using the word bug to describe just any insect. Or if that bugs you, we'll assume there is an insect with sucking mouthparts latched onto you.

Thank you very much. ;)

Your local Grammer Noxi