Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exporting a Model S Plaid to France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone :)

I'm a very happy model 3 owner in France and I was wondering about importing a Model S plaid early.

From my searchings, charging adapters seem to do the trick (Not for SuC right ?)

There also seems to be problems with navigation, software updates and LTE but it seems doable...

Does anyone have any experience in exporting Teslas to Europe ?

I can't find a way to contact Tesla about this, if someone has a little info, it would be very welcome !

Thanks !

I do not have any experience, but also realize that you will lose warranty coverage as that is tied to the region where the car is sold.

Also, there will likely be effort you may need to complete as the car has not been homologated to EU requirements. I'm not sure what all that may involve, but in the past there have been differences in things like color of seat belt latch buttons, functionality of daytime running lights, color of marker light lenses, etc. That's where whenever I've seen this discussed the ultimate bottom line is it's a large amount of effort and most abandon the effort.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to pursue.

Hi Antoine - I am in a similar situation as you: I currently live in the US and will move to France in October. I am considering taking my 2014 Model S since it still has free supercharging for life - which comes in handy if you look at current energy prices. I heard that supercharging is possible with a $700 adapter. Did you pull the trigger on buying the Plaid?

Hi Philipp,
But will you still be able to charge for free your imported model S in France/Europe using that $700 adapter?
Has anyone successfully done that?
And if so, what guarantee do we have that Tesla will not end up blocking one day free supercharging for these imported model S?
Serge

Hi Antoine - I am in a similar situation as you: I currently live in the US and will move to France in October. I am considering taking my 2014 Model S since it still has free supercharging for life - which comes in handy if you look at current energy prices. I heard that supercharging is possible with a $700 adapter. Did you pull the trigger on buying the Plaid?

Hi Antoine - I am in a similar situation as you: I currently live in the US and will move to France in October. I am thinking of taking my 2014 Model S since it still has free supercharging for life - which comes in handy if you look at energy prices right now. Did you pull the trigger on buying the Plaid?

Hi Antoine - I am in a similar situation as you: I currently live in the US and will move to France in October. I am thinking of taking my 2014 Model S since it still has free supercharging for life - which comes in handy if you look at energy prices right now. Did you pull the trigger on buying the Plaid?
Hi Phillipp - Antoine hasn’t been back to this board since January when they made that single post above. I’m thinking they’re probably not going to answer you, even if you keep asking.

Hi Phillipp - Antoine hasn’t been back to this board since January when they made that single post above. I’m thinking they’re probably not going to answer you, even if you keep asking.
Yes, thought so myself. Sorry about the double post - wasn't intended. Logged in to a second computer and all of a sudden it posted again. Didn't find a way to delete the second entry.

Yes, thought so myself. Sorry about the double post - wasn't intended. Logged in to a second computer and all of a sudden it posted again. Didn't find a way to delete the second entry.
Hi Philipp, I'm wondering if you found out any new information about the free supercharging transfering to the EU? My 2016 Model S is from/in the US where I also have free Tesla Supercharging. I would love to know if, because I'm grandfathered in for free Supercharging in the US, if that carries over to Spain where I am living and hoping to ship my car to?