Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exporting Car to Asia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

So i am thinking of getting a model y next year. I am going to export from US to Myanmar and i have a few question about the car. I am well aware of the risk of not being able to fix the car in Burma apart from shipping it back to the states.

I was told by CS from Tesla that I wont be able to use anything that need connectivity such as unlocking the car from phone, seeing if the car is charging or getting notification when the car is fully charged, streaming Music or Youtube or Netflix; also anything related to sentry mode. Is this true?Will I be able to get firmware updates?

I did some research and found out that you can swap out the sim for model 3 but it has to be done by a tesla technician you can request a "non tesla sim card waiver" or get an external dongle . Was that option only available for the older model or it's also available for 2021 model.

If anyone bought a car in non-core country, i would really appreciate your feedback.

Kelvin

I apologize for any ignorance or cultural insensitivity this may expose on my part, but wouldn't this be easier to do with an Asian-market car? I'm thinking that cellular data networks may be more alike.

There have been several posts here about someone's car being the first Tesla in a given country. Not Myanmar specifically as I recall, but I would still look for those and reach out to the member for advice.

Finally, did you try the location-specific sub-forum closest to where you are?

I apologize for any ignorance or cultural insensitivity this may expose on my part, but wouldn't this be easier to do with an Asian-market car? I'm thinking that cellular data networks may be more alike.

There have been several posts here about someone's car being the first Tesla in a given country. Not Myanmar specifically as I recall, but I would still look for those and reach out to the member for advice.

Finally, did you try the location-specific sub-forum closest to where you are?

Dont worry about it. That is a great question.
One of the reason why i want to buy in the states:
I am planning to go to Irvine for a month next June 2021, i was thinking of driving the car around and fix any problem but after that i would have to DIY in Myanmar.
The other way would be get Tesla from neighboring country that Tesla operate in (like you said), that would increase the likelihood of being able to fix car and swap part if i need to in the future. Form what i heard that Tesla from fremont factory and China factory does not necessarily use the same parts (not sure).
About the connectivity, i found something on youtube saying you can connect via mobile hotpot and that would allow the streaming service to work somehow.