Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exposed wires under wheel well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Model X 100D a week ago and just noticed these wires hanging from under the rear passenger-side wheel well. Part of the wires seems to be exposed but fastened while the other part is just loosely hanging. It does seem strange to have exposed wires like this in an area that's constantly in contact, with rocks, dirt and water.

Can anyone with a Model X confirm whether this is normal?

IMG_6199.JPG IMG_6185.JPG

Took delivery of my Model X 100D a week ago and just noticed these wires hanging from under the rear passenger-side wheel well. Part of the wires seems to be exposed but fastened while the other part is just loosely hanging. It does seem strange to have exposed wires like this in an area that's constantly in contact, with rocks, dirt and water.

View attachment 232426 View attachment 232425

Don't have an X to compare to, but typically wires are placed in a plastic loom or at least taped. Also, zip ties are not normally used to restrain wires due to chaffing (the whitish discoloration on wither side). Did you have any aftermarket accessories added? Usually, the only active object in the wheel well area is the speed sensor, and that runs out the back of the hub (on most cars I've worked on).

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Thanks everyone! Looks like I gotta add this to the list of things to be addressed by the service center.

Did you have any aftermarket accessories added?

Haven't had any work done on the car and haven't installed any accessories.

This is definitely not normal, I would have it serviced right away. I tried my best to take photos of what my X looks like

Thanks for the pictures! Looks clean, like one would expect. Are you running on 20" wheels? I have the 22"'s and I think with the larger wheels you get to see more of what's going on behind the wheel. But still I don't think you should be able to see wires there no matter what size wheel you use.

Are you running on 20" wheels? I have the 22"'s and I think with the larger wheels you get to see more of what's going on behind the wheel. But still I don't think you should be able to see wires there no matter what size wheel you use.

Yep, 20s. Appears there's an inside quarter panel missing. Let us know what your SC says, good luck!

You made me go out and look - I do have the same exposed wires too

upload_2017-6-23_11-38-51.png

Well, now is the dilemma - ask for the wires to be loomed or not.

I'm almost positive that they should have been loomed during assembly - protection from scuffing, rubbing, and direct hits. There wouldn't be much protection from moisture as water will still get in there. These wires are located in pretty deep and hard to reach area - the possible of direct hit or rubbing is very remote.

So, if looming will require disassembly of anything - I will probably let it be as is. If Tesla can loom the wires by removing just the tire and brake pads - I think I will request it fixed.

What do you guys think?

I would get confirmation about whether or not they are supposed to be exposed and then make your decision based on that. It seems like at least one other car has exposed wires like that, so it could be that it was designed to be exposed for some reason. If that’s the case then I would just leave them as is. If you’re missing a liner or something then I would certainly expect tesla to install it.

Reactions: ABC2D
You made me go out and look - I do have the same exposed wires too

Thanks for checking MasterT. Not sure if this is by design or if both our cars suffered from the same oversight at the factory. (My car was built April 2017). Also, it does appear less of your wires are exposed since they were routed behind that black liner (carpet?).

If that's how they are supposed to be, it should be easy to push mine back behind that same area. Originally I was just going to tuck them behind the black liner without even removing the wheel, but decided not touch them in case there's a missing part or something.

I'm almost positive that they should have been loomed during assembly - protection from scuffing, rubbing, and direct hits. There wouldn't be much protection from moisture as water will still get in there. These wires are located in pretty deep and hard to reach area - the possible of direct hit or rubbing is very remote.

So, if looming will require disassembly of anything - I will probably let it be as is. If Tesla can loom the wires by removing just the tire and brake pads - I think I will request it fixed.

What do you guys think?

Loom comes pre-split, so the process would probably go something like:
Cut zip ties
Place loom around wires
Add some turns of electrical tape for retention
Zip tie in place

Although it is strange that there are vehicles without these wires. Anyone in Massachusetts who can say what they are even for, or where they run?

Reactions: ABC2D
I'm pickin up my car from service today and one of the items on my list was these unshielded wires. Here is what they put on the invoice for my concern:
upload_2017-8-30_10-10-41.png

I'm going to address it again as I think the tech did not understand what wires to look at (not hoses) even though I provided them with a picture.

I'm pickin up my car from service today and one of the items on my list was these unshielded wires. Here is what they put on the invoice for my concern:
View attachment 244646
I'm going to address it again as I think the tech did not understand what wires to look at (not hoses) even though I provided them with a picture.

Ha, tell that to my in-laws. Their Town and Country mostly lost its air height adjust when the plastic line wore through. (ok, if it was better restrained it would not have moved enough to wear through...)