Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Express Pick Up" at Fremont last Saturday - laundry list of issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Saturday I picked up my LR AWD white/black/gemini directly from Fremont. Two days prior, I got a text from a rep that my car is ready and to make the final payment in order to schedule delivery. Once I paid, delivery via "express pick up" was scheduled for Saturday in Fremont. At 7PM saturday evening, I got the text that the car is ready so I head over right away. There was nobody at the pick up area which I was told to expecI walked up to my designated parking stall, gave the outside a good look, and accepted delivery in the account page. After that I got access to the phone app, opened the door, checked it out, noted some issues, and drove it home.

After a throughout wash and polish the next day, I found the following list of issues -

Passenger side B pillar trim loose
Frunk trim clip and access panel christmas tree loose
Headlight/fender corner sticks out
Paint scratches at door interior, door hinge, and trunk hinges
Taillight misalignment
Rear passenger side trim misalignment
Rear passenger wheel well trim misalignment
Passenger side mirror cap loose
Front driver side door tweeter loose
Rear middle seat release loose - keeps coming loose after I push it in
Headlight lens has streak / residue on the inside - this was hard to capture and only visible in certain lighting angles

Here are some pics of the problems, Model Y

Service Center appt this Thursday. Not sure what to expect as this is my first Tesla so we'll see. I consider most of these minor. I'm OK with touch up paint on the paint scratches since they are in hidden areas

I bet they tell you the tail lights and fender are within spec....
Hoping not since I read others reporting SC fixing the lights...

please take it back to the service center and request a fix...if you are still within 7 days of return policy you can ask for immediate fix or return if you dont make any headway in your discussions
Passed 7 days but I really have no intentions to return. I think they should be able to fix these issues. I still think they're relatively minor...

I bet these imperfect cars are made by a shift of bad workers. It's odd that some cars come out "perfect" and others have so many issues.
Seems that the "perfect" cars are delivered outside of Fremont, where the delivery centers gave it a once over and fixed whatever they found. Not the case for me unfortunately...

They will tell you that an OTA update is coming and send you on your way.
Initially I tried to schedule for mobile service as it would have been two days sooner. They called me and said to bring it in instead. The rep on the phone said its most likely with issues that can't be fixed by mobile techs...

Last Saturday I picked up my LR AWD white/black/gemini directly from Fremont. Two days prior, I got a text from a rep that my car is ready and to make the final payment in order to schedule delivery. Once I paid, delivery via "express pick up" was scheduled for Saturday in Fremont. At 7PM saturday evening, I got the text that the car is ready so I head over right away. There was nobody at the pick up area which I was told to expecI walked up to my designated parking stall, gave the outside a good look, and accepted delivery in the account page. After that I got access to the phone app, opened the door, checked it out, noted some issues, and drove it home.

After a throughout wash and polish the next day, I found the following list of issues -

Passenger side B pillar trim loose
Frunk trim clip and access panel christmas tree loose
Headlight/fender corner sticks out
Paint scratches at door interior, door hinge, and trunk hinges
Taillight misalignment
Rear passenger side trim misalignment
Rear passenger wheel well trim misalignment
Passenger side mirror cap loose
Front driver side door tweeter loose
Rear middle seat release loose - keeps coming loose after I push it in
Headlight lens has streak / residue on the inside - this was hard to capture and only visible in certain lighting angles

Here are some pics of the problems, Model Y

Service Center appt this Thursday. Not sure what to expect as this is my first Tesla so we'll see. I consider most of these minor. I'm OK with touch up paint on the paint scratches since they are in hidden areas
I probably couldn't sleep at night if I pay that much money and have all of these issues... I have LR RWD order which at this point I'm hoping they don't produce/deliver until all the issues are fixed! Good luck man...

my service appointment is tomorrow so i'll see what happens. i'm really not too concern about the paint scratches at the hidden hinge areas. i'm fine with touch up on those. i hope Tesla Dublin will fix the mis-alignments with the tailights, door trim and wheel well trim and don't just brush them off as within factory tolerances.

Reactions: Mooroo
Wow unbelievable for a new car. Maybe that is the reason that "Elon" sent that email telling employees to step up a little. Clearly this is now identified as an issue at the highest level so looks like we should see some improvements soon. But yes, this really sucks.

The frunk issue also showed up on Sandy Munro’s tear down. It has to do with the type of clip they use. He said it’s flimsy and would break easily during build. Should be an easy fix (new clips) but annoying that they did not catch it before delivery.

small update -

Today I went to the Dublin Service Center for my first appointment. All of my issues noted in the first post plus a few more were logged into the service advisor's tablet. SA said most of the issues would be simple fixes but will need to keep the car for probably two days. They are out of their fleet loaners and Enterprise is out of Teslas. Since I'm 1 exit away, I was given the option to drop off the car tomorrow so he can set me up with a tesla loaner. I prefer that than uber credits or a gas car rental.

In the end we logged 15 entries. The obvious loose parts will be fixed. The panel gaps will be measured. If within tolerances then they will not fix. I also mentioned the back seat not aligned at the first up right position. SA noted log it in and said not sure if they have any fix. When the seats are reclined they do line up much more so that doesn't both me much.

Also discovered during this inspection that the driver side door rattles when I close it with the window down. The passenger side doesn't have this behavior.

saw a few more white MY while I was waiting in line and chatted with one of the owners...mostly same fit and finish issues...

I gave up my 2016 AP2.0 Model S P100D and bought a Model Y Performance. What the actual **** are they thinking giving you that car? The burden is on the customer once again to QC their cars. This is great to know I got to get a deliver checklist and go through the car with a fine tooth comb. Worst case scenario I walk away and lose $100 and reorder... This will be our 4th Tesla so I feel like I know the drill and there is no way I am rushing this delivery.