TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Ext temp incorrect while charging

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by SeminoleFSU, Feb 23, 2014.

1. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Wondering if anyone else had seen this. Was charging after a road trip and needed to run out to Redbox to grab a movie. Unplugged, hopped in the car and noticed the temp said 99 degrees which was way off. It was prob mid 60's at best. Started driving and the temp started falling rapidly. Guessing this number isn't exterior temp but more likely is main batt temp... Or perhaps the ext sensor is very close to the chargers?
  2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Nov 26, 2012
    WPB Florida
    I suspect the sensor is in the front and somehow above one of the rads. The battery needs cooling when charging and that rejected heat may be wafting up towards the external temp sensor giving you the false readings. The dive to correct as you drive away is a dead give away.

If you're really really really a nerd, here is an interesting temperature falling as you drive off data plot. Again, you'll have to be a nerd to enjoy it else you will find it boring.
    PCI Ring Fueling
  3. Frank the Tank

Feb 19, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    It happened to me twice and I was a bit surprised as well. Did it affect the AC for you? I vaguely remember turning off the AC as it was ramping up the fan.

Figured it wasn't an issue if it doesn't happen anymore.