Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extend Warranty or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phaduman

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2016
San Jose
I have a AP1.0 (Sep 2016 build) MS75D, currently at 46K miles. I had already paid the 4yr extended warranty a while ago for $4.2K. Q I have is, should I cancel the contract pre-50K and get the full refund (& pay for repair as needed)?

I MIGHT keep the car, Or, might sell it (to get a MX later). The car has been quite reliable. What did some of you do? I hear refreshed MSs have been quite reliable in general. Worth taking a chance? Would it be more valuable to have it, if I try to sell the car (vs. giving the car for 4K less to the new owner)? I am putting on about 18K miles/yr, so I would consume the 100K miles within 5.5yrs of the car's life. Too young to have repairs worth 4k? I know a few failed parts (like the screen or door handles) can easily mount to $3-4K.

thanks a lot for any insight/suggestions.
PN
SJ, California

...I MIGHT keep the car, Or, might sell it (to get a MX later)...

If you want a full refund, you should ask for it now. If you want a partial refund, you can always ask for it in the future at any time with no time pressure.

Investment wise, it's a good return on investment if you will have to repair more than you prepaid Tesla. And it is not a good return on investment if you won't have enough repairs to justify what you already prepaid Tesla.

Like most of everything, if you can go to the future to record it, you can make a good bet but if you can't then it's just like an insurance in case you need to claim in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaduman
I agree with PhilDavid, when my current warranty expires, I will go with X-Care-EV

We are close to going live in FL. Florida has specific laws around how claims are supposed to work for vehicle service agreements. We are working with the correct parties to make sure that the claims process works with Tesla Service in FL.

Shouldn't be too much longer as this is high priority for us since its the second largest market for Teslas.

X-Care, how are you guys coming along with being able to sell in California?

Close. The product itself should be good to sell very soon in CA. Once we are ready, we still will not be able to sell directly online (against CA law) but can route you through a local dealer in CA that can sell it to you.

If you input your info here, once we have it ready, we will let you know how to purchase in CA.

Auto Warranty Options - Xcelerate Auto

Oh definitely keep it. If you do end up selling and it's not a trade-in, the warranty will make it that much more desirable. I'm in the same boat and will get the warranty soon. I plan on having my S until the Model Y comes out. I shudder to think of owning a Tesl w/o a warrant. :confused:

If you want a cheaper option with a smaller deductible, look into X-Care!

www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

Attachments

• X-Care EV Brochure.pdf
    566.1 KB · Views: 59
If you want a cheaper option with a smaller deductible, look into X-Care!

www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/
I ran the online quote, which I decided against, mainly because according to the quote i received the coverage went into effect immediately. Even though I still had B2B with tesla for two more years. So my three year quote gave me two years of coverage during which I was covered by the manufacturers B2B warranty and only one year of coverage after my original manufacturer warranty expired - all for the wonderful price of three years of coverage.....No thanks.

I ran the online quote, which I decided against, mainly because according to the quote i received the coverage went into effect immediately. Even though I still had B2B with tesla for two more years. So my three year quote gave me two years of coverage during which I was covered by the manufacturers B2B warranty and only one year of coverage after my original manufacturer warranty expired - all for the wonderful price of three years of coverage.....No thanks.

If you have 2 years left on your factory warranty, then the 6 year and 75,000 mile coverage option would probably make the most sense (the 3 year wouldn't make sense in your situation) We released this coverage option for people in your scenario.

We are price matching with Tesla's ESA cost if it shows to be less than what we are offering (explained in the post below)

Vendor - Tesla Extended Warranty - Special Rates and Price Match!

If you can send us a snapshot of your Tesla profile that shows the cost and what your Year, model and odometer is, then we can see what rate would make sense for you. We were very careful in making sure our prices were lower than Tesla, so I am curious why this is not the case for your vehicle specs.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Why does your warranty start when there's another warranty in place? (I guess it doesn't really start since the OEM warranty is still in place.) If someone wants the full 75K of the 75K warranty they need to wait until they reach 50K before buying.

It seems that xcelerate is punishing an early purchaser - although it is cheaper you also get less coverage. Am I missing something?

Why does your warranty start when there's another warranty in place? (I guess it doesn't really start since the OEM warranty is still in place.) If someone wants the full 75K of the 75K warranty they need to wait until they reach 50K before buying.

It seems that xcelerate is punishing an early purchaser - although it is cheaper you also get less coverage. Am I missing something?

X-Care is an add-on time and miles. Its a contract so when you purchase it, that is when the contract starts (cannot set it for a future date). You will still have benefits, for instance, while you are under factory warranty but want to get some towing covered, then X-Care could be used for that.

It works in a way that becomes much cheaper to purchasing a coverage option ahead of time that well surpasses your factory warranty.

For example, If you just took delivery of a 2019 Model S, then getting an 8 year and 100,000 mile X-Care coverage (which means 4 years and 50k after your factory warranty expires) is only $4,099. If you had a 4 year old Model S with 50,000 miles and now leaving the warranty window, a 4 year and 50,000 mile X-Care coverage would be $4,599.

So it's cheaper to buy it ahead of time yet both cover both vehicle until the same time - 4 years and 50k miles after the factory warranty.

All in all, the early purchaser is actually receiving a cost benefit. If you are seeing something different, please send me an email with your vehicle info and what you are seeing and maybe we can help.

[email protected]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18

Spot on, rtfq. 3yr 36month starts day you buy it. Not when manufacturer warranty stops.

To reiterate, if you wait until your factory warranty expires, your rate is more expensive. It is cheaper to purchase ahead of time.
Yes, it's cheaper to buy it now. I said that.

But, it's a much better deal for you. If someone buys early (34K) you get the money earlier and have more time to invest it. You're not out anything for a while because they have to (right?) go through the OEM until it's expired. And, they don't get the benefit of a full 75K additional warranty because they bought early and saved $500 (I ran a comparison on one with 34K and 50K). So, they "save" $500 by buying now and gave up 16k miles of coverage.