Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Leather - Need help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to confirm my order on a Grey S85 with the following:

Pano, Black Perf Leather Seats, Fog lamps, obeche wood gloss, parking sensors, rear facing seats, air suspension, subzero weather, tech package.

I'm 90% sure this is the config I want, but I have this nagging feeling that I should also include the extended leather. I haven't been able to a compare two cars side by side with and without this option so its been hard to decide. $2500 seems like a lot to spend on something I may not even notice, but if it really changes the "feel" of the interior, then maybe it's worth it.

Any advice? Has anyone actually sat side by side with and without this option? What do you notice? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

I understand the concern/question.

I have an earlier model, and wonder if it came with this standard, like some of the other items that are now options, or if it's fake. Sure seems real enough, but suspect what I have is fake.

I'd doubt you'd notice, or that when the time comes to sell, that the next person would notice either, or care that much.

My two cents.

Edit: seeing Jerry's post now, I agree... the lighting is really nice.

I'm about to confirm my order on a Grey S85 with the following:

Pano, Black Perf Leather Seats, Fog lamps, obeche wood gloss, parking sensors, rear facing seats, air suspension, subzero weather, tech package.

I'm 90% sure this is the config I want, but I have this nagging feeling that I should also include the extended leather. I haven't been able to a compare two cars side by side with and without this option so its been hard to decide. $2500 seems like a lot to spend on something I may not even notice, but if it really changes the "feel" of the interior, then maybe it's worth it.

Any advice? Has anyone actually sat side by side with and without this option? What do you notice? Is it worth it?

Thanks!
First off, Welcome greensprit! Good to see new folks joining the forum. It looks as though you have an awesome build going. Personally, I like your choices right where they are. I looked seriously at the extended leather but realized that, to me, it was not worth it. It just wasn't enough for the amount being requested. I feel the same way about ANY of the other options. Rest assured you have a fantastic build as is.

Have you ever noticed leather dashes in other folks cars? If not, probably not going to be a big deal to you. My father-in law is constantly comparing the extended leather in his MB to my faux-leather. To silence the criticism would be well worth the $2.5k in my opinion!

I too have the premium lighting and really enjoy it (especially given that it gets dark at 4:30pm up here in the NW).

Have you ever noticed leather dashes in other folks cars? If not, probably not going to be a big deal to you. My father-in law is constantly comparing the extended leather in his MB to my faux-leather. To silence the criticism would be well worth the $2.5k in my opinion!

I too have the premium lighting and really enjoy it (especially given that it gets dark at 4:30pm up here in the NW).

About a year ago, I walked into a Tesla store to order. I loved the car but I was VERY disappointed by the generous use of molded, texturized plastic on the doors and dash. I left the store without ordering. When the extended leather became available, I placed my order shortly thereafter.

For me, no extended leather was a deal breaker. If you didn't recognize the need for more leather on the standard version then you are probably fine foregoing the 2500.00 option.

(Compared to other makes (Ferrari Porsche), 2500 is a bargain.)

Hi all,

First post, I did finalise my order but being in the UK means 6 month wait so room to change things. Anyway, my understanding of Extended Nappa Leather was there was no extra area covered just Nappa replacing synthetic leather? Particularly the top of the door card i.e. where your elbow might rest is plastic in both cases? The demo cars here at the London store didn't have that option fitted.
I also couldn't find/see any picture showing a meaningful difference b/w the two

Did you have your car delivered yet? Are you happy with the extended leather option? Is the stitching on the black dash white thread or black thread?

I'm still struggling with this option. Can't tell if it looks exactly the same but just feels different or if it provides a more luxurious look. Again, any help much appreciated!

Two items I struggled with after ordering were the extended leather and alcantara headliner. Together they add $4000 to the cost, but I was worried id regret not getting them. I even thought about calling service to get a quote on changing to leather after delivery.

Since I got the car, I honestly never look up at the headliner, so the alcantara would pretty much have been a waste.

I see the dash all the time, but is never really look at it close enough to tell or care if it's real leather.

My worries turned out to be unfounded. And I'm glad I saved the $4000. It basically paid for the Xpel and Photosync tint.

Last edited:
Two items I struggled with after ordering were the extended leather and alcantara headliner. Together they add $4000 to the cost, but I was worried id regret not getting them. I even thought about calling service to get a quote on changing to leather after delivery.

Since I got the car, I honestly never look up at the headliner, so the alcantara would pretty mush been a waste.

I see the dash all the time, but is never really look at it close enough to tell or care if it's real leather.

My worries turned out to be unfounded. And I'm glad I saved the $4000. It basically paid for the xpel and Photosync tint.

I also skipped both, saving ~~$4k on a $118K car primarily because the addons were getting the thing even more ridiculously expensive. Subsequent to the car being delivered, I've driven a few loaners with both options, all I can say is the headliner seems particularly nice, and the leather is also a nice job. I might have ordered the headliner even with the pano, more so without the pano. I would have definitely gone with the headliner if the price with the pano was adjusted due to the lack of about 50% of the alcantara.

I would have thought harder on the leather if I had it to do over again - you really need to check out both up close if you can. The vinyl in the MS is nothing like MBTex, it is much cheaper quality imo.

My personal opinion is that I cannot hear the difference in the sound system upgrade (you did not ask about that), I did not go for that either.

Last edited:
The vinyl in the MS is nothing like MBTex, it is much cheaper quality imo.

You mean MS much cheaper/worse looking than MBTex?
When I test drove the car I thought the leather-like finish for dashboard and doors looked pretty nice. Have Nappa leather in my E63 and although not as smooth, MS finish was good too.
Was sorely tempted to spec extended leather and still might but £2100 here i.e. nearly $3,500. If it added more parts in leather that could justify it to an extent but not really if same parts just slightly different finish.

You mean MS much cheaper/worse looking than MBTex?

I have had a couple of MB's with MBTex - not in the last few years tho. My experience was that MBTex was very sturdy and looked as good as new many years down the road.

My MS had a chunk out of the b pillar pleather within a week of delivery (I think it might have been the delivery guys, but I did not notice it for a week), and I have seen the same worn parts on loaners/demos on all the points of the b and c pillars. Granted this is just my personal experience with a couple of vinyl cars so take it for just one opinion.