Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement no longer offered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a Tesla Model S and Model X. Each are only two years old, but I had some extra money burning a hole in my pocket so I figured I'd go ahead and purchase the Extended Service Agreements. After all, on my Tesla account, they've been offered there forever.

Today when I went there, those options are not offered, even though there are pages on the Tesla web site which suggest that they're still offered.
(See this page which discusses the Vehicle Warranty, and links to the Extended Service Agreement page: Vehicle Warranty)
and
(See this page which discussed the Extended Service Agreement:
Extended Service Agreement)

I scrambled to find out what happened, but I can't find any pages that explicitly state that Tesla is no longer offering these. And if they did discontinue them, why leave information about them on their web site?

I wrote to my local service center today and here is their reply:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We no longer offer Extended Service Agreement options as we have
recently modified our annual service recommendations. After much
testing and consideration we adjusted what is recommended according to
year but no longer offer Fixed Price Annual Maintenance or Prepaid
Plans. If a plan was already purchased we will of course honor these
purchases. More information can be found using the link below but if
you have any additional questions don't hesitate to reach out. Thank
you!

Car Maintenance
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ironically, the link the service center provided does not say that they've been discontinued, and even links to the page that describes them and their cost.

And of course, many of the folks here know that Tesla still does not appear to have a solution for Half Shafts on Model X which seem to need replacement every 10,000 miles or less!

Extended Service Agreements are discussed pretty recently here on this forum and within a few weeks on Redit. It's just hard to believe that Tesla could discontinue them.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Best regards,

WRB

Hi everyone,

I have a Tesla Model S and Model X. Each are only two years old, but I had some extra money burning a hole in my pocket so I figured I'd go ahead and purchase the Extended Service Agreements. After all, on my Tesla account, they've been offered there forever.

Today when I went there, those options are not offered, even though there are pages on the Tesla web site which suggest that they're still offered.
(See this page which discusses the Vehicle Warranty, and links to the Extended Service Agreement page: Vehicle Warranty)
and
(See this page which discussed the Extended Service Agreement:
Extended Service Agreement)

I scrambled to find out what happened, but I can't find any pages that explicitly state that Tesla is no longer offering these. And if they did discontinue them, why leave information about them on their web site?

I wrote to my local service center today and here is their reply:

We no longer offer Extended Service Agreement options as we have
recently modified our annual service recommendations. After much
testing and consideration we adjusted what is recommended according to
year but no longer offer Fixed Price Annual Maintenance or Prepaid
Plans. If a plan was already purchased we will of course honor these
purchases. More information can be found using the link below but if
you have any additional questions don't hesitate to reach out. Thank
you!

Car Maintenance

Ironically, the link the service center provided does not say that they've been discontinued, and even links to the page that describes them and their cost.

And of course, many of the folks here know that Tesla still does not appear to have a solution for Half Shafts on Model X which seem to need replacement every 10,000 miles or less!

Extended Service Agreements are discussed pretty recently here on this forum and within a few weeks on Redit. It's just hard to believe that Tesla could discontinue them.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Best regards,

WRB

There is an Extended Service Agreement, which is an extension of the vehicle warranty. They offer 2 and 4 years versions. This is still on my car's web page and AFAIK still being offered by Tesla.

What is not being offered anymore is Maintenance agreements, where you pay in advance for annual maintenance on your car. It is the Maintenance agreements that Tesla has discontinued for the reasons noted in the reply you got from Tesla.

Someone is conflating these two distinct products. You might try asking again, or rechecking your car's webpage. Often when you ask Tesla a question more than once, you will get more than one answer.

...answer on this...

It sounds like a definite answer if you only read the first one single sentence:

"We no longer offer Extended Service Agreement options as we have recently modified our annual service recommendations."

That is very clear.

They have revised both Annual Service and Extended Service Agreement.

They have discontinued both pre-paid Annual Service and pre-paid Extended Service Agreement if you haven't bought them

And they still honor them if you already bought them.

Hi Plumazul, thanks for the response. Could you let me know where you are located geographically? I'm in Florida, just incase that makes a difference (i.e. policies different for different countries...). It's definitely not showing up on My Tesla account, where it did for a year prior...

Tam, I'm just not so sure they could discontinue something that they advertised was possible to purchase for years. There were no disclaimers put on the amount of time they'd offer them, aside from milage, age, etc. and my cars are 2 years old and around 24,000 miles.

Hi Plumazul, thanks for the response. Could you let me know where you are located geographically? I'm in Florida, just incase that makes a difference (i.e. policies different for different countries...). It's definitely not showing up on My Tesla account, where it did for a year prior...

I'm in DC. I checked my page again, and it's still there. You have to log on, then hit the Manage button. It's down at the bottom of the page.

Tam, I'm just not so sure they could discontinue something that they advertised was possible to purchase for years. There were no disclaimers put on the amount of time they'd offer them, aside from milage, age, etc. and my cars are 2 years old and around 24,000 miles.

It makes very little sense to not offer an extended warranty program. They are VERY profitable.

There is an Extended Service Agreement, which is an extension of the vehicle warranty. They offer 2 and 4 years versions. This is still on my car's web page and AFAIK still being offered by Tesla.

What is not being offered anymore is Maintenance agreements, where you pay in advance for annual maintenance on your car. It is the Maintenance agreements that Tesla has discontinued for the reasons noted in the reply you got from Tesla.

Someone is conflating these two distinct products. You might try asking again, or rechecking your car's webpage. Often when you ask Tesla a question more than once, you will get more than one answer.

^^This. ESA = Extended Warranty (still offered).

esa.JPG

Maintenance agreements discontinued. (below was purchased in 2013)

tm.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
By the way, I just spoke to someone in the SC. They were able to log onto two other people's My Tesla accounts and they see that the ESA is still being offered. Apparently "it's something with my account", but that's weird...

I’m pretty sure they’d be well within their rights to discontinue the program whenever they wanted. Today’s offer doesn’t dictate tomorrow’s.

TBH, the “annual” maintenance plans seemed to be insanely overpriced for the actual work performed. It probably makes sense to just pay the going rate for the services you want performed based on their recommendations.

That said, we are strongly considering the extended warranty as we plan to hold onto the car for a while and could envision some expensive fixes down the road without it.

Hi,
I had a followup question. My understanding is to extend the ESA, if you buy from a dealer, you can't. If you buy from private individual, you can?
Now, let me throw a curve ball.

Buying from private party out of state. Using a local 3rd party dealer, who deals many Teslas, to use one in Consignment for a small fee (in-state finacing is much cheaper from a dealer).
If this is so, would this "pass through dealer" void the opportunity for the ESA to be extended at 50k?

...if you buy from a dealer, you can't...

No, you cannot. Not from a non-Tesla company.

...If you buy from private individual, you can?...

Yes, you can.

...local 3rd party dealer, who deals many Teslas, to use one in Consignment for a small fee (in-state finacing is much cheaper from a dealer). If this is so, would this "pass through dealer" void the opportunity for the ESA to be extended at 50k?

Yes, this does void the ESA.

You can avoid this voiding if you can tell the dealer to hide its track from the paperwork and all paperwork shall be done by the previous owners.

Dealers are required by states to collect fees. Make sure this dealer does not.